BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 7h, 36m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 5936MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Betaarchive is so slow... :'(        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:28 am 
Hi, i always wanted to say, betaarchive is getting slower for me daily, i dont know why :( @andy: cant you add a "textonly" board design? i think the graphics are too big for my slow connection :P

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:36 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Getting slower? Its not changed speed for me. It still takes under 2 seconds per page.

What speed connection are you on? If you're not on broadband, then problem found. You should expect it to be slow on dial-up.

If the graphics are a problem, go into your browser options and disable images. Its that simple. Or if you're using firefox with adblock, block www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageuploader. If you do that be aware that no images will display even if you click one.

The template is 100KB and the average page is 50KB, but that is compressed to around 6KB with gZip, then your browser uncompresses it, so its not like its sending lots of data. Its 5KB after you've loaded the site once, unless new images are being displayed.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:49 am 
ive got dsl 2000 and only betaarchive is slow, dont know why, im using firefox 3 alpha (yes, the 2 is slow too, internet explorer 7 is slow too and opera too)

is it possible to only disable images for betaarchive in firefox? i dont know how, oh, and its so small :o i personally dont know what its on too :(

not this images, Image, theyre slow, but not the uploader images, ok, theyre not highspeed too, but thats ok

first, after 1 minute the text is loading for me, then after 2 min. the first images appear and after 3 min i can "use" betaarchive, i cant explain it myself, but i hope we are gonna, or better i am gonna fix it, its terrible with that speed, but i said it, its only BA all others are dsl2k speed

thanks for answering

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:56 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
It could be that your ISP had bad routing to the BA server. Its certainly not the server or the site thats slow because I can max out 4Mbps broadband at home and I can download from Microsoft on the server at 70Mbps. That proves its not a lack of bandwidth. It takes me around 5-7 seconds to start using BA myself.

I suggest increasing your cache on your browser so it doesn't clear the BA files so quickly.

If you want to block images on BA, then get adblock for firefox and block the following directories:

/imageuploader
/images
/forum/images
/forum/templates

That -should- block all images from the site and just leave you with text. You can always take it off should it not work in the adblock options.

Internet explorer allows the turning off of images in advanced options.

Tools > Internet options - Advanced > Multimedia > [_/] Show Pictures

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:33 pm 
the "groundidea" works, but i cant reply to topics anymore, there are no ALT tags i think :(

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:44 pm 
Donator

@Namronia
Haven't ever seen such slowdowns, the page has been fast for me, equally on my old 1MBps and on my new 16MBps connection. So an insufficient connection is unlikely to be causing this.

Top  Profile