BetaArchive
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/

Last logon times same as current.
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2730
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Unknown [ Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Last logon times same as current.

For the last week or more, everytime I login to this forum I find there's
no new posts, so I log out again.
Today I found why, the login time is the same as my supposed last login
time, why is beyond me.
I'm a member of more than one forum, & don't have the problem
elsewhere, just here.
It's not a cookie issue as I always delete cookies & temp files at the
end of every day.

Image

Author:  Richard0612 [ Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:53 am ]
Post subject: 

Hmm, odd. What browser/OS are you using?

Author:  Andy [ Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:37 am ]
Post subject: 

If you delete the cookies, thats why. The forum relies on the cookies to know what you have visited, when you visited etc. It takes the strain off the database, hence why the site is so fast. I suggest not deleting the cookies and trying again.

Author:  Unknown [ Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:39 am ]
Post subject: 

Andy wrote:
If you delete the cookies, thats why. The forum relies on the cookies to know what you have visited, when you visited etc. It takes the strain off the database, hence why the site is so fast. I suggest not deleting the cookies and trying again.

I don't know too many people who wouldn't delete cookies & temp files
at least once a day, yet you're telling me not to delete cookies when using internet exploiter ? :? Right

Author:  Andy [ Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:44 am ]
Post subject: 

Unknown wrote:
Andy wrote:
If you delete the cookies, thats why. The forum relies on the cookies to know what you have visited, when you visited etc. It takes the strain off the database, hence why the site is so fast. I suggest not deleting the cookies and trying again.

I don't know too many people who wouldn't delete cookies & temp files
at least once a day, yet you're telling me not to delete cookies when using internet exploiter ? :? Right


Solve that by not using exploiter ;) Use firefox, opera, netscape or some other alternative. I actually don't know anyone who clears them on a daily basis; I certainly don't.

Author:  ppc_digger [ Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:39 am ]
Post subject: 

Something doesn't sound right. If I log in from another computer, how can it know when I last logged in (which it can, and does), if there aren't any cookies there?

Author:  Andy [ Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

ppc_digger wrote:
Something doesn't sound right. If I log in from another computer, how can it know when I last logged in (which it can, and does), if there aren't any cookies there?


I stand corrected about it being a cookie side thing. It must be server side. Odd why its doing it. Anyway what interest is the last login information anyway? Is there anything you specifically need it for?

I wonder if this is a sessions issue?

Author:  Unknown [ Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

ppc_digger wrote:
Something doesn't sound right. If I log in from another computer, how can it know when I last logged in (which it can, and does), if there aren't any cookies there?
That was my thought on the matter, I just saved my breath & avoided
another "You're Wrong" toss as seems to happen here. :^)
Also, on the odd occasion when the last posts can be read, I often read
all of them {which takes a while some days} then press the
"View posts since last visit" again & often find it to tell me there's no new
posts, & that my last visit was the same as the current time.

Andy wrote:
Solve that by not using exploiter ;) Use firefox, opera, netscape or some other alternative. I actually don't know anyone who clears them on a daily basis; I certainly don't.
I'd be using Konquerer on linux if my main system didn't die during a recent storm, so
I have to use the family computer which is slow & already bogged down
with other peoples programs, firefox would { & has } slows it down even
more.
Nevermind, I don't really need to be here getting PMs from members
stating I'm starting flame wars anyway, just because my opinion differs
from others, I'll return when you fix the issue. 8-)

Author:  Andy [ Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:31 am ]
Post subject: 

About it taking you several hours to get through topics, if you do this, your session will end and it will clear all the topics you haven't read. Its stupid I know but its the way phpBB has always worked. I'll see if I can extend the session time to a day and see if that helps.

I still don't know about the date and time though. I assume its a session error. I'll have to clear the sessions when I get chance and see if that works.

I hate to see people leave because of an issue on the forum and/or flame wars. Flame wars are petty and are usually stopped before they start now so it doesn't turn into a problem.

Author:  Unknown [ Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:28 am ]
Post subject: 

Andy wrote:
About it taking you several hours to get through topics, if you do this, your session will end and it will clear all the topics you haven't read. Its stupid I know but its the way phpBB has always worked. I'll see if I can extend the session time to a day and see if that helps.
Don't know where the several hours bit came from, I just said it
takes a while.
& it still doesn't work, I've missed about 2 weeks of posts now.

Author:  Andy [ Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:09 am ]
Post subject: 

Unknown wrote:
Andy wrote:
About it taking you several hours to get through topics, if you do this, your session will end and it will clear all the topics you haven't read. Its stupid I know but its the way phpBB has always worked. I'll see if I can extend the session time to a day and see if that helps.
Don't know where the several hours bit came from, I just said it
takes a while.
& it still doesn't work, I've missed about 2 weeks of posts now.


Well however long it takes, it obviously exceeds the session limit which is 1 hour at the moment I think.

Additionally if you close your browser the session will also end.

I know its a pain but even I get annoyed when it happens. I'm hoping phpBB3 will solve this problem when it finally goes to a proper release.

I'll increase the session limit and see if that helps. I'll set it to 1 day.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/