Extension to Rule 12

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.

Should terrible threads be covered by rule 12?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 9

longview
FTP Access

Extension to Rule 12

Post by longview »

First of all, thank you for this rule.

Now, my suggestion is that we extend it to cover useless threads too.
I'm not pointing fingers at you (because I don't remember who you are) but there have been a few terrible threads going on lately.

Also up for discussion, should "Hay guys I'm new here" threads also be covered under the rule?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Well threads that are pointless often go in off topics but people still reply to them. Its rare to get no reply to any topic. If it gets a sensible reply then its probably not that pointless.

Topics such as "hi im new" should be redirected to the welcome thread the the thread they created locked. This is done in a lot of forums I visit.

Posts where people just say "thanks!" or "wow, great" or simply post a smiley like ":D" and thats it should be removed and warned. One person today posted 8 posts like that and expected to get into the advanced members group. Its just not going to happen.

Doctor Mindvipe
Donator

Post by Doctor Mindvipe »

I'm not sure that "hello, I'm new" threads with an introductory "this is me and my reason for coming here is <insert>" should be disallowed... I would however, suggest setting up an introductions forum for that sort of stuff, mayhaps even a subforum under the OffTopic forum for the introductories.

I know I don't always have longwinded posts..... especially if I ask about something, get a reply and/or a suggestion as to what todo, it's kinda hard to say much more than "thanks, I'll try that" then go do something. Though I try to edit the "thanks" post afterwards with the results of what happened.

No, I'm not trying to toot my own horn with how superior my methods are... I'm just saying

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Well there is a welcome thread in off topics already. Members are just too lazy to look. Maybe it should be included in the rules that when you join you should introduce yourself?

Thank you posts are fine once you've been on the forum a while because we know you're legit and you actually -do- make some decent posts. However doing that as a new user just to get your post count up, its out of the question. It won't get you into the advanced members group so why do it?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

So it's officially permitted to remove pointless posts by new members who apparently are just trying to get into the servers section?

I've noticed this happening more than a couple of times, people joining and then instead of opening new topics, adding rather pointless replies ("thx", "great", a smiley, you know what I mean) to existing ones, even to very old topics which are now unlocked. I personally just delete them if the reply has no sense at all. It isn't going to do the member any good anyway. It's almost always the same anyway – as soon as these people have 10 or slightly more posts, they'll usually never come back again after failing to be accepted into the Members group.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

empireum wrote:So it's officially permitted to remove pointless posts by new members who apparently are just trying to get into the servers section?

I've noticed this happening more than a couple of times, people joining and then instead of opening new topics, adding rather pointless replies ("thx", "great", a smiley, you know what I mean) to existing ones, even to very old topics which are now unlocked. I personally just delete them if the reply has no sense at all. It isn't going to do the member any good anyway. It's almost always the same anyway – as soon as these people have 10 or slightly more posts, they'll usually never come back again after failing to be accepted into the Members group.
I 100% agree and I thank you for already doing it. One member who joined recently, I warned via PM. Then they still wouldn't stop so I deleted their user. 20 mins later they signed up again but unfortunately their mailbox rejected the sign up e-mail I was kind enough to activate the account though but they have since not returned.

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

empireum wrote: I've noticed this happening more than a couple of times, people joining and then instead of opening new topics, adding rather pointless replies ("thx", "great", a smiley, you know what I mean) to existing ones, even to very old topics which are now unlocked. I personally just delete them if the reply has no sense at all. It isn't going to do the member any good anyway. It's almost always the same anyway – as soon as these people have 10 or slightly more posts, they'll usually never come back again after failing to be accepted into the Members group.
I agree. I saw this the last days after the LH4039 leak. Many new people from joejoe registered and wrote useless replies just to get access to the patched iSO. This is bad
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."