BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 8h, 18m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 2126MB of 4917MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Should terrible threads be covered by rule 12?
Yes 89%  89%  [ 8 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9
 PostPost subject: Extension to Rule 12        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
First of all, thank you for this rule.

Now, my suggestion is that we extend it to cover useless threads too.
I'm not pointing fingers at you (because I don't remember who you are) but there have been a few terrible threads going on lately.

Also up for discussion, should "Hay guys I'm new here" threads also be covered under the rule?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:29 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Well threads that are pointless often go in off topics but people still reply to them. Its rare to get no reply to any topic. If it gets a sensible reply then its probably not that pointless.

Topics such as "hi im new" should be redirected to the welcome thread the the thread they created locked. This is done in a lot of forums I visit.

Posts where people just say "thanks!" or "wow, great" or simply post a smiley like ":D" and thats it should be removed and warned. One person today posted 8 posts like that and expected to get into the advanced members group. Its just not going to happen.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
I'm not sure that "hello, I'm new" threads with an introductory "this is me and my reason for coming here is <insert>" should be disallowed... I would however, suggest setting up an introductions forum for that sort of stuff, mayhaps even a subforum under the OffTopic forum for the introductories.

I know I don't always have longwinded posts..... especially if I ask about something, get a reply and/or a suggestion as to what todo, it's kinda hard to say much more than "thanks, I'll try that" then go do something. Though I try to edit the "thanks" post afterwards with the results of what happened.

No, I'm not trying to toot my own horn with how superior my methods are... I'm just saying ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:52 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Well there is a welcome thread in off topics already. Members are just too lazy to look. Maybe it should be included in the rules that when you join you should introduce yourself?

Thank you posts are fine once you've been on the forum a while because we know you're legit and you actually -do- make some decent posts. However doing that as a new user just to get your post count up, its out of the question. It won't get you into the advanced members group so why do it?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:48 am 
Donator

So it's officially permitted to remove pointless posts by new members who apparently are just trying to get into the servers section?

I've noticed this happening more than a couple of times, people joining and then instead of opening new topics, adding rather pointless replies ("thx", "great", a smiley, you know what I mean) to existing ones, even to very old topics which are now unlocked. I personally just delete them if the reply has no sense at all. It isn't going to do the member any good anyway. It's almost always the same anyway – as soon as these people have 10 or slightly more posts, they'll usually never come back again after failing to be accepted into the Members group.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:02 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
So it's officially permitted to remove pointless posts by new members who apparently are just trying to get into the servers section?

I've noticed this happening more than a couple of times, people joining and then instead of opening new topics, adding rather pointless replies ("thx", "great", a smiley, you know what I mean) to existing ones, even to very old topics which are now unlocked. I personally just delete them if the reply has no sense at all. It isn't going to do the member any good anyway. It's almost always the same anyway – as soon as these people have 10 or slightly more posts, they'll usually never come back again after failing to be accepted into the Members group.

I 100% agree and I thank you for already doing it. One member who joined recently, I warned via PM. Then they still wouldn't stop so I deleted their user. 20 mins later they signed up again but unfortunately their mailbox rejected the sign up e-mail :D I was kind enough to activate the account though but they have since not returned.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:27 am 
Donator

empireum wrote:

I agree. I saw this the last days after the LH4039 leak. Many new people from joejoe registered and wrote useless replies just to get access to the patched iSO. This is bad :evil:

Top  Profile