BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 4h, 30m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 2521MB of 5391MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Should the use of the BetaArchive Image Uploader be enforced upon us all?
Yes 60%  60%  [ 21 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 35
 PostPost subject: BetaArchive Image Uploader        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune
This is one thing that really pisses me off about this forum. Yeah, it's theoretically a great idea - no more broken images in topics that are old. But I really don't think it should be enforced as a rule that you MUST use it. It should be strictly optional.

For one, what if I want to post an image on here that I already have uploaded elsewhere? Am I going to go through the process of re-hosting it with the BetaArchive uploader? Probably not, resulting in less content on the site.

And also, if its a new image that I want to upload, yes, I can upload it and post it on BetaArchive no problem at all, but what if I want to post it elsewhere? The BetaArchive one doesn't allow hotlinking (well, it didn't last time I checked), so I have to re-host it with a different image host. Pain in the arse? Yes.

In my opinion, the effort required outweighs the benefits, especially as it's strictly enforced that you MUST use it OR ELSE!!11!!1!!!!

Who else is with me on this?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:55 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
This has been the rule since the image uploaders release some time ago, so why bring this up now? Everyone except the odd person is happy with this rule and are quite happy using the image uploader.

Through previous experience imageshack rarely works, it has tonnes of pop-ups and is very slow even on a good day often taking up to 1 minute to load a single image in 1024x768 format. Now thats poor and in itself takes the [censored].

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune
Andy wrote:
This has been the rule since the image uploaders release some time ago, so why bring this up now? Everyone except the odd person is happy with this rule and are quite happy using the image uploader.

Through previous experience imageshack rarely works, it has tonnes of pop-ups and is very slow even on a good day often taking up to 1 minute to load a single image in 1024x768 format. Now thats poor and in itself takes the p**s.

Personally I've never had a problem with Imageshack, and if you directly link to the image, there's no popups. You're also tarring all image hosts with the same brush there. Also, read the points I mentioned.

The reason I'm bringing it up is because its one thing that pisses me off about this forum. This is the only forum I've ever seen to do something as extreme as that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:29 am 
Donator

the ImageUploader is great. I like it. On other forum, there are so many broken image links, but not here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:41 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Its been done because its necessary. Too many forums have too many broken images and its annoying. On a forum like this we can't afford to lose images. We may never see those images again. For example if it was an image of a rare piece of software or a build, of which the author loses their copy in a time to come. Just think about that.

I have read your points and while I agree on the most part, if you can't spend another 30 seconds uploading for your own post to here then fair enough, don't post the image. It's your choice.

Rules are rules and they must be followed. You agreed to that when you signed up.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:11 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I am all for the uploader. I personally think its an ingenious idea, since one think I can't stand is inactive images.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
I agree with the administration, the Imageuploader is needed.
I've uploaded a few pictures of software that I simply don't have the original to, it would suck if Imageshack was down or just decided to remove them.
A lot of large forums also have dedicated image-hosts. SomethingAwful has a premium image-uploader that you pay for and the members run WaffleImages.com, which is the generally used uploader.

I do have a few suggestions:
- The ability to select profiles for compression (Yes, I know you couldn't get it working but it would be nice if you gave it a second try)
- A simple check: If the compressed file is bigger than the original, then discard the compressed (Would be nice for small PNGs and such).
- On the upload-complete page: the preview should act like the forum link (Open in new window).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:18 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I could give the compression bit another go but I can't guarantee anything. I spent 2 hours last time only to be faced with errors all the time that I couldn't trace.

The preview bit is easy, I'll just add a hyperlink to the image.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Imageshack sucks ... and so does any other free image host, they are always really slow to load!
And often if you click on the thumbnail image you are taken to another site, not simply to the full size pic, which is annoying!

The BA Image Uploader is a great idea and I think the rule should stay!

One suggestion though, have an option to upload an image that's already hosted somewhere else.
Server to server transfer is much faster than having to find the pic and and reuploading it for a second time.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:16 am 
FTP Access

I would be for this if only the server was better at loading thumbnails (most of the time I get a broken image but clicking it always loads the full one)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Looking back at the OSBA Archives site. I was surprised to see that some of the imageshack links still worked but the images hosted elsewhere were mostly gone which is a bit disappointing seeing some of the images held good information. So if BETAArchive suffers the same fate at OSBA and andy decides to bring back the archives at least all the images will be there with the vital information. That's if he wished to bring the pictures too or this site suffers a fate like OSBA and is shut down.

So I say stick with the ba uploader.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:54 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
TheWahbinator wrote:
I would be for this if only the server was better at loading thumbnails (most of the time I get a broken image but clicking it always loads the full one)

This sounds like a problem at your end as the thumbnails always load for me. Yes they're a little slow and it made me think... do they really need to be so big? Maybe its about time I reduced them to say 200px wide instead of the current 500px ish.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:22 pm 
Donator

I like the idea, and the fact that all images are available is a good thing.

However, i think it's wrong that you just delete people's images when they aren't on the BA image uploader. It pisses me off everytime I see a post replaced with an arrogant little comment saying "image deleted. use the BA image uploader". It makes you look stupid, because your main reason for avoiding other sites is because they sometimes go offline, right? * Well, if you delete the image for "not obeying the rules", then you're actually making it worse by removing the image altogether. What if the poster doesn't return, we won't *ever* be able to see the image. I'd rather see the image for a few hours while the site is up (worse case scenario), than none at all because someone's too much of a nazi about rules.

Until you provide an easy, simple way that images from other sites can be simply mirrored onto BetaArchive (ie with an option to enter the URL, then the image is downloaded to the BA server), then I give this two thumbs down.

* Note: Imageshack, Flickr and other such sites are available more than BetaArchive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:28 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
pr0gram,

I edited out your accidental bypass of the swear filter, it seems using BBcode prevents it working.

While I agree with what you say, it IS a forum rule and its up to the author of the post to know that and stick to them. Its not my fault I remove an image hosted elsewhere because they didn't read and follow the rules.

I will be putting a feature on the uploader in the future for uploading files from URL's but until then people will have to do it manually.

Upon signing up to the site you agreed to the rules set for the forum. If you can't follow the rules, thats not my problem and you should expect what you get in terms of bans, tellings off, image removals etc.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RC1 (Build 7100)
I agree that the BA image uploader is a good thing, and stops the forum being littered with broken images. But server to server transfer would be nice! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:05 pm 
Donator

I agree, server to server transfer is a necessity in my eyes, I myself also had to download pictures hosted elsewhere and then reupload them just to make them available here. But I also think the rule to use the BA image uploader should be enforced as you can't guarantee images hosted elsewhere will be available forever. And I can only confirm it, missing images that were supposed to tell/proove/show something really important/rare/etc. are a tremendous annoyance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:17 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Isn't server to server called transloading?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:18 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
callumh wrote:
Isn't server to server called transloading?

No idea :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:27 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
See www.transloader.com ,it lets you copy an image from a URL to a FTP server.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:55 am 
FTP Access

No, it shouldn't be forced upon us all. I'd be using the Old-Computer.org image upload service.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:57 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
ZSS9393 wrote:
No, it shouldn't be forced upon us all. I'd be using the Old-Computer.org image upload service.

Its pretty much identical...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:27 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Isn't there a JavaScript or something to stop images from all domains bar the one the code is located? That would mean that all images that are hotlinked to wouldn't work, forcing us all to use the BetaArchive image uploader, which again, IS a good idea in my opinion.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:29 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
callumh wrote:
Isn't there a JavaScript or something to stop images from all domains bar the one the code is located? That would mean that all images that are hotlinked to wouldn't work, forcing us all to use the BetaArchive image uploader, which again, IS a good idea in my opinion.

I wouldn't go that far because then signatures wouldn't work which are exempt from the rule. It only takes me or a mod to remove images from a post anyway.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:41 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
True, that didn't cross my mind when I was posting, primarily because I personally don't currently have a graphical signature.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:51 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
I like the idea, and the fact that all images are available is a good thing.

However, i think it's wrong that you just delete people's images when they aren't on the BA image uploader. It p**s me off everytime I see a post replaced with an arrogant little comment saying "image deleted. use the BA image uploader". It makes you look stupid, because your main reason for avoiding other sites is because they sometimes go offline, right? * Well, if you delete the image for "not obeying the rules", then you're actually making it worse by removing the image altogether. What if the poster doesn't return, we won't *ever* be able to see the image. I'd rather see the image for a few hours while the site is up (worse case scenario), than none at all because someone's too much of a nazi about rules.

Until you provide an easy, simple way that images from other sites can be simply mirrored onto BetaArchive (ie with an option to enter the URL, then the image is downloaded to the BA server), then I give this two thumbs down.

What he said. I agree entirely.

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
* Note: Imageshack, Flickr and other such sites are available more than BetaArchive.

QFE - No matter how much you slate Imageshack etc, they're going to be a shitload better than your little image upload tool running off a cable connection.

Top  Profile