BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 4h, 51m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 2258MB of 3803MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [suggestion] Everyone should upload a MD5 file for RAR files        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:58 am 
Donator

Hi Andy,

could you please add a rule that everyone must provide a md5 file for the RAR files when uploading it to the SillyProject FTP Server? This will help to check if the downloaded files are ok.

thanks

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [suggestion] Everyone should upload a MD5 file for RAR f        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:59 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Luckie wrote:
Hi Andy,

could you please add a rule that everyone must provide a md5 file for the RAR files when uploading it to the SillyProject FTP Server? This will help to check if the downloaded files are ok.

thanks

Thats a good idea, but why not just open the file and see if its corrupt or not? Thats just as easy and probably quicker.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:04 am 
how to create such file?

PostPost subject: Re: [suggestion] Everyone should upload a MD5 file for RAR f        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:13 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
but why not just open the file and see if its corrupt or not? Thats just as easy and probably quicker.

I always check my livesets and so on by checking the md5 values with hkSFV to see if the files are corrupt. I remember some files, that were mentioned to be corrupted, but were able to open them. So the md5 check is better

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:13 am 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
how to create such file?

Get ahold of a command-line tool called md5sum, and run it from a Command Prompt like
Code:
md5sum file.rar
It'll then calculate the md5 sum. (I'm sure there are graphical tools for that, but this tool is the one I use because I dislike all that GUI stuff).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [suggestion] Everyone should upload a MD5 file for RAR f        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:15 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Luckie wrote:
Andy wrote:
but why not just open the file and see if its corrupt or not? Thats just as easy and probably quicker.

I always check my livesets and so on by checking the md5 values with hkSFV to see if the files are corrupt. I remember some files, that were mentioned to be corrupted, but were able to open them. So the md5 check is better

Remember that I don't have root access to the files to do hashes on them and we have over 1000 files now to hash. Its going to be a very slow and lengthly process which in my eye doesn't seem worth it. If its corrupt you'll know when you come to use it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:49 am 
Donator

RAR has CRC built in. A checksum for every block. If it is corrupt, RAR can easily detect it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune
It is easier tbh if a SFV file is created for a split-RAR archive, that way if one part gets corrupted you can just download that one part, rather than the whole archive.

Top  Profile