BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 3h, 3m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 1812MB of 3037MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Top 3 Gripes regarding the Image Uploader        Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:48 am 
Donator

1. Could you add an option so that you can enter the URL to an image already on the internet, and then have the image uploader download it and mirror the image? ie. I could enter "http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyimages/370.jpg" and then click OK, and the PHP script downloads the jpg file from the website and recompresses it etc. This would be a lot easier than going to a site, downloading the images, then re-uploading them.

2. As I mentioned the other day... lossless PNGs are usually already compressed enough, and compressing to JPG results in immediate loss of quality and often larger file size depending on the content. Also you should compress GIFs as 8-bit PNGs, not JPGs, because they will most likely end up smaller, and won't lose quality. Compressing GIFs to JPG will often result in larger files that will lose quality.

3. Why iframes? it makes it look like it was roughly hacked into the site

Implementing some of these changes might make me a little less irate every time I go to link to an image :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:28 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
1. Ill see what I can do in the near future, but there may be a new server on the way (dedicated in a DC) so Im busy trying to sort that out.

2. The compression compresses them in their own format. JPEG stays as JPEG, GIF stays as a GIF etc. I set it to compress because PNG is VERY large in most cases. It may be lossless I know, but it hits the bandwidth hard on the current connection. When/If it gets moved to the dedicated in the DC then Ill probably change this.

3. The script was designed for me, it won't fit into the template properly the way its made. It comes up with errors.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW