BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 22h, 22m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5551MB of 10637MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Update woes        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:17 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

Long time since the last blog entry so here goes with one I've had problems with the last few times I've tried to use Windows Update.

Both my home server and BA server suffered this problem, and I decided it was time to look online for a solution to the problem since it was getting on my nerves and needed fixing.

Both servers were refusing to install some updates. In my home servers case it was SP3, and the BA server was the Malicious Removal Tool update for June. Now while the BA server one wasn't necessary, the home server update was because just earlier this week I got yet another trojan injected into the system via a DCOM exploit that SP3 fixes. Up until now I've hated SP3 because it refused to work on 2 systems last time I tried it, but now MS seem to have fixed their installer.

So, what was the problem and how did I fix it?

Basically, Windows Update downloads to a cache folder before you begin the installation. If the download is interrupted or the download is corrupt, Windows Update doesn't know this, and it attempts to install anyway. Microsoft did not build in any sort of checking method to verify the download was successful or not. If Windows Update attempts to install a broken download, it of course fails.

So how do you fix this problem? Its quite simple really, and requires just a few lines in the command prompt.

Quote:
1. Open Command Prompt by Start -> Run and type "cmd"
2. On the Command Prompt, type "net stop wuauserv". This is done so that you will terminate the windows automatic update service to allow us to delete the cache files
3. Still on the Command Prompt, type "cd /d %windir%" or "cd\windows"
4. Type "rd /s SoftwareDistribution"
5. Thats it, the cache has been purged. Now we need to restart the windows automatic update service again. To do that, type "net start wuauserv"

Simple. Now you can run Windows Update again, re-download the broken updates and install them :) It works 99% of the time. I say 99% of the time because sometimes its not a broken download that's the problem but something on the system causing a conflict. However in either case you won't know unless you try it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Update woes        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
Cool, I was having problems in my XP VM a while ago, at least this time I'll know what to do.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Update woes        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
It's why I prefer to grab the standalone Installers for Service Packs.

I do this occaisonally, since ASUS Actually recommend it is done frequently on the EeePC to save space (since the updates don't get deleted after they've been installed), though that only recommends the 'Download' folder within SoftwareDistribution.

And you only just installed SP3 on XP? :|

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Update woes        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:26 pm 
Donator

Sometimes Windows Update offers up updates you dont need/cant use. For instance, my XP machine at home still shows IE6 critical updates even though I have IE7 installed. I can select them and try to install them, but they just fail with a scary error message. It is inconsequential.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Update woes        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
RentedMule wrote:
Sometimes Windows Update offers up updates you dont need/cant use. For instance, my XP machine at home still shows IE6 critical updates even though I have IE7 installed. I can select them and try to install them, but they just fail with a scary error message. It is inconsequential.

I keep getting Office 2007 updates on Microsoft Update, even though I downgraded to 2003 3 months ago.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Update woes        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:02 pm 
FTP Access

ReactOS wrote:
I keep getting Office 2007 updates on Microsoft Update, even though I downgraded to 2003 3 months ago.

If you have the Compatibility Pack for Office 2000/XP/2003 installed you will get some of the 2007 updates, as some of the fixes for 2007 also affect the file converters.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Update woes        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
ReactOS wrote:

If you have the Compatibility Pack for Office 2000/XP/2003 installed you will get some of the 2007 updates, as some of the fixes for 2007 also affect the file converters.

Which reminds me, that's another thing to do! :P
I actually never installed the compatibility pack, mostly because I don't use Office that much.

Top  Profile  WWW