BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 2h, 43m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5610MB of 11031MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

As many of you know I have this never ending quest to save as much electricity as possible when it comes to running my computers. The reason for this is simple; I don't pay the bill. I do however get a nice big shouting at when the bill comes in, which it just did last Friday. This bill was £416.28 (6 monthly bill). That's £69/month average or £16/week average. Of all the electricity, I use about £8-10 of that a week... That's well over half. My Dad is never in to actually use that much so it must be me using it! The only other things it goes to use on it lights and the TV really.

So, how did I get on this time? Quite well actually considering I'd just thought of these two things while trying to fix the hard drive issue on the server which left me with no backups for 2 days (turned out to be a bad SATA connection). This time I had two ideas...

The first was looking in the BIOS to see what power saving features I may have missed and enabling them. Now, power saving features doesn't necessarily mean just look for things such as C state changing and physical power reduction features, but rather disabling parts of the system I don't use. One example is the on-board sound controller. Its a server, so I have no need for the sound on it, so it gets disabled in the hope it may save some power. If nothing else it will free up a few system resources. Also, the need to try under clocking the CPU arose. That's right, "under" clocking. Over clocking uses more power, so its sensible to assume under clocking will use less! However, upon trying this, to my disappointment Intel Dual Cores use SpeedStep which already under clocks the processor when its not in use, so it was already power saving as much as possible, and the FSB was already on the minimum allowed so I couldn't under clock that either. Voltage control was automatic, but if I was going to adjust that I would have to run a lot of stability tests, which is very time consuming.

Secondly, I had to ask myself why I had such a medium range graphics card for the server when all it does is sit there with its screen off on a blank desktop. It had to be using a fair amount of power as upon removal it was very very warm, almost too hot to hold the heat sink. In replacement, I had an old PCI graphics card. While still fairly powerful, it wasn't as powerful as the one already in the system so I hoped it would reduce the power consumption even more, which it did.

I was just about to finish with these modifications when I thought, hold on, that fan uses power, while looking at the fan on the side of the server, which does very little in terms of system cooling because of its location. I tried unplugging it and saved 2 watts of power! Excellent! Now, what else... The mouse. That sits there idling away as well using power it doesn't need to, so that got unplugged too... Another 2 watts saved! That was all I could unplug as everything else was needed, and the keyboard is needed upon a restart to avoid "Press F1 to continue" errors.

So what did I save overall with these modifications? Well, 112 watts down to 98 watts... 14 watts saving! That's 12.5% less power consumption per day (32.5% since I started this quest!). It now costs just 32p/day to run the server, compared to the previous 45p or so before any power savings. Overall, that's a saving of £21.28 over 6 months. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it all helps.

It just goes to show that if you're determined, you can achieve a lot by doing so little. I hope this will help the electricity costs come down for the next bill, or I'll have to start paying for it myself!

If I can think of any more power saving ideas I'll be sure to try them and keep you updated!

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Very interesting. Another way to save power is to unplug stuff you don't use. Sounds tedious but if you have a surge protector or anything with multiple outlets, just plug everything into the surge protector and when you don't need to use it, simply plug the protector off.

The reason behind this is because even if something is off it still uses power since it needs power so that it turns on when you press the button. This is called phantom load. And yes, you can save a lot in your bill if you do this.

Last edited by Thlump on Sun May 31, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:56 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Yeah, and even things with a power button don't often go into full power off. If its a switch, yes it probably does, if its a button, it probably doesn't since some power needs to be going through it to know when you've pressed that button. If it turns on with a remote control, the same applies there too as the sensor needed to detect the remote signal and turn the device on has to have power going to through it to work :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Andy wrote:
and the keyboard is needed upon a restart to avoid "Press F1 to continue" errors.

In the BIOS there is a setting of some sort which you disable and it boots even thought there is no keyboard attached.
But it depends on the board it can be turned off, must modern boards it can turned off.

Saves a few more watts.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:02 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
This system has it as well and it is enabled, but what I forgot to mention was that you'd have to reboot to plug in a PS2 keyboard since its not plug and play like USB is.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64
A lot more work than unplugging things, but have you thought about looking into some Intel Atom motherboards? I really don't know the specifics of your server, but I'm guessing the little Atom should be able to handle most things.

I use an Atom based D945GCLF motherboard in my WHS box. Overall load inc. HDD is a measly 29W. Thats completely fanless too as it doesn't need it. And with Intel now releasing the US15W chipset, that figure could probably be a lot lower.

I know its probably not ideal now - but when it comes to a new motherboard time maybe a consideration? Thats exactly what Atom is there for - power saving.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:08 pm 
Donator

Biohead wrote:
A lot more work than unplugging things, but have you thought about looking into some Intel Atom motherboards? I really don't know the specifics of your server, but I'm guessing the little Atom should be able to handle most things.

I use an Atom based D945GCLF motherboard in my WHS box. Overall load inc. HDD is a measly 29W. Thats completely fanless too as it doesn't need it. And with Intel now releasing the US15W chipset, that figure could probably be a lot lower.

I know its probably not ideal now - but when it comes to a new motherboard time maybe a consideration? Thats exactly what Atom is there for - power saving.

What PSU did you use with the D945GCLF, I'm considering to buy it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64
Its actual a TranquilPC T7-HSAi - a complete package. It comes with an external power adaptor (80W DC) and looks to me an inhouse-built PSU.

But I've used a Jeantech 700W Storm too which showed a steady 27-31W when in use, so barely covering minimum load.

I'm even thinking of picking up a second motherboard to create a form of nettop for browsing/RDP sessions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:51 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I'm further impressed now. I just went up to grab the power meter to check the consumption of my desktop PC and it was reading 68 watts! It seems hard drives use more than I thought, as they had spun down to save power.

My Dad just had a word with me about the bill as well, and he took my offer to pay for my usage... Damn me and my big mouth.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:04 pm 
FTP Access

68 is pretty decent. I similarly am on a power-saving quest these days and that's about the lowest I've been able to get a "decent" day to day system running on myself too. However the last two weeks I've been slightly more extreme with it... my Phenom 9850-based system features the extremely useful HybridSLI which allows the PCIE graphics card (a 9800GT) to be *completely* turned off when not in use - it turns off entirely and uses the onboard 8200 chip instead. Less fan noise, wear and tear on the card and this saves ~70-100 watts when the system is on, takes it down to ~120 watts vs more than 200. Quite a significant feature to have.

However... the last two weeks I haven't had to turn it on once. Acer Aspire One netbook with 120GB drive, runs on 28w when charging and if the battery is full, cuts right down to an incredible 14 watts. For the vast majority of day to day internet use etc it's amazingly useable, and to look at having saved about 200 hours now of using 14w rather than 120+... well it'll obviously be a significant saver. Need something off the main machine I just throw a LAN/wifi connection up and get it then turn it off again. Seriously worth considering, if nothing else for the fact that the electricity money saved will *very* quickly offset the cost of buying one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:17 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I just checked my desktop PC... 220 watts it uses. That includes the dual monitors. I recently added the 2 extra hard drives and extra monitor so I'm guessing they added a fair amount to the consumption. Its also an overclocked system when it doesn't need to be, so it looks like I'll be dropping that back to stock as well soon since that adds a fair amount of consumption itself. My quest won't end yet that's for sure. I made a list of the consumptions so far...

Router/Modem/UPS ... 20 watts
Server/UPS ... 98 watts (68 with most drives powered down)
Desktop PC/UPS ... 220 watts

A link I should always post when making power consumption posts is this: http://www.abyssunderground.co.uk/calculator-runningcosts.php a script that calculates running costs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:22 pm 
Donator

I'm waiting on buying an Atom board until two things happen. Firstly, they get rid of that terrible 945 chipset that draws more power than the CPU, and secondly, they start manufacturing them with a 32nm process. I want my board to run fanless even under full load.

The external PSU you're talking about is probably a PicoPSU: http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.13/.f
I haven't seen them anywhere else, let me know if someone else makes similar.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:25 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Can I ask what power meter you use to get the readings?
Also if you can provide a possible place to purchase it that would be helpful :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:27 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I won't be getting an Atom based board for one reason: I just got this server 6 months ago! I chose my components quite carefully to get a standard system but with lower consumption than my current server, and I managed that with flying colours. I just wanted something faster than a celeron but not expensive, and the Intel Dual Core was just the thing. I did fork out on the motherboard a little for the capabilities of its RAID, but then avoided using it after taking mrpijeys advice. Just as well too I think after what happened to his arrays in the end.

I bought mine from maplins (www.maplin.co.uk).

Link to the meters: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=83964 Mine is the 2nd on the list but any of the plug in style meters will work just the same.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:35 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
and there's one on offer as well. £13. (will have to wait as after paying for my dedi i'm low on money)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:06 am 
Donator

too bad your motherboard on your server didn't have integrated graphics it probably would've saved some more...

Don't ps/2 mouses use less energy than usb (slightly less but still less)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
zamadatix wrote:
Don't ps/2 mouses use less energy than usb (slightly less but still less)?

Yeh, but a proper server won't need either a keyboard or mouse most of the time, so it's a bit irrelevant. My Home server has 3 cables attached to it: Power cable, Ethernet cable and USB Cable (for Printer, since it's a print server too).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:20 am 
Donator

i think my flat needs save some power. our last bill was $270 (£107) and now its winter........

ahhh the joys of being a poor student

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Thanks to my mum depositing an unexpected wad of cash into my bank, which I am sure was meant for driving lessons, I have now obtained myself a power monitor thingy :)

I'm now like Andy trying to save every penny now. Though where my sockets are, it's hard to see what the reading is. Rio(my laptop.server) runs on average 40W. It never runs the fans, screen is rarely on, sound card has no drivers so its off. On average, £.12 per 24 hours, £9.76 per quarter, so £10 out of a £300 bill is not massive. Now what more can I take out of Rio... oh wait I can't really. grr

I'd like to thank Andy for something for me to do during my free time while I'm on "study leave". (Studying for Stats is not fun)

Last edited by Rioter on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I'm glad I've had some influence on getting people to try and save some money :) I am still working on my desktop PC (well, I say working on it, I've not started as of yet, I'm sorting the NetBook out first). It currently uses around 130-150 watts or so without monitors under normal load. I'm determined to get that down a bit but with my graphics card (Radeon 3870) that might be hard as it uses a fair amount itself.

If I can get my desktop down to around 120 watts or so I'll be happy. I already had to underclock it yesterday because the BIOS got reset when it wouldn't boot up. I couldn't be bothered loading the overclocked profile afterwards, so that saved quite a bit too.

I'm not sure how much the NetBook uses yet as I haven't plugged it in, but my battery meter software says about 8000mW when running on battery, so that's 8 watts :) Tiny amount.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:25 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
The dell desktop is suprisingly efficient. 65-70W while basic internet browsing/coding/itunes/IRC with the occasional hike from 80 to 110, but generally at 70. Odd. (Without the monitors so far.)

Woo

(also previous post, added a thanks, was meant to be posted but delayed for some reason :/)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:32 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Glad I could help you find something lol. I have all sorts to do at the moment and I don't even have to revise or have a job to go to!

Finish installing Netbook
Ring bank and get my card unblocked from t-mobile
Ring up the job center and go back onto JSA
Pick up a prescription tomorrow
Reduce power usage on desktop PC
Fix my mates laptop (new power socket)

So yeah, lots to do, just can't be bothered most of the time!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:39 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
heh. I hope you're earning some revenue on that laptop repair :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:41 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Nah, I'm doing it for a not-so-well-off friend, so I'm doing it for the cost of the part only. Anyway, he's the guy whose Mum and Dad let me stay with them for a week every time I go over to Wirral :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The never-ending power saving quest continues        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:03 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
OK It's now to a point where every energy guzzling appliance I'm gonna see what is being used, standby and full blast. I've got that bored.

Even more bored now, I've done an excel spreadsheet on it as uploaded here Image
Still incomplete but nice to know

Top  Profile  WWW