BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 54d, 17h, 33m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 6164MB of 10910MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:01 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

I'll start by saying I wish I didn't have to post this topic, but here goes.

As you are aware, I can no longer pay for the BA server due to my current financial status (no job, on government benefits which I'm STILL not receiving as of yet...). I just wanted to remind everyone that I am relying 100% on donations to pay for the server at the moment.

The point of this topic was just to inform you of the current status of the server renewal and server funds.

The server is currently renewed until 28th May 2009. This is 1 month ahead (as I stated in another topic) to try and help avoid the server going offline should one month we not get enough donations.

There is £30 spare in the server funds, should donations not quite cover the server cost. Just because there is money spare, it doesn't mean don't donate. It is in effect "emergency" money and still has to be replaced if its ever used.

So far this month, £26.90 (46.8% total cost) has been donated. Even with the emergency money its not enough to renew it for June. Although we have a month and a half to go until it needs renewing, I'd like to keep 1 month ahead still just in case. If I hadn't done that last month the server would have gone offline while I was in hospital. That was pure luck that I decided to do that.

Now as always, I'm not forcing you to donate. I can't and won't do that, ever. I'm asking that you donate any spare cash, and spare cash only, don't go diving into some savings fund or making yourself feel obliged to donate. It doesn't matter what the value is, £5, £2, even £1, it all helps to pay for the server. Normally I wouldn't ask at all, but times for me at the moment are tough. I hate asking for money even from parents or friends, so I hate it even more when I have to ask for donations from people I don't know, or barely know.

Remember, this is your site as much as it is mine, so please donate and keep it online!

Thank you to all donations that have been received so far, and thank you for all donations that will come in the future.

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
again, more proof the UK benefits system does not work for the people who need the money, yet people are still able to scam the system.

It's totally doolally!

(Side note, three mins before you posted I donated :mrgreen: )

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:17 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Thanks Matt :) Highly appreciated!

And yes, the benefits system sucks. I sent off the papers over 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard a single thing back yet and I haven't had any money go into my bank. I hope something happens next week or I'm going to have yet another fight for money on my hands... I still haven't got my £1k from my old job, and thats over a year ago now. Still fighting for it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
I thought that BA was going to be sponsored (with a ftp of 1 Tb)? Is this not going to happen?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:10 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
zeehonden_3 wrote:
I thought that BA was going to be sponsored (with a ftp of 1 Tb)? Is this not going to happen?

This doesn't help the money for the server situation though does it? And that offer still isn't "ready" anyway, plus I have other alternatives if really necessary. But I'd rather they weren't necessary as its a lot of havoc moving from server to server. It takes weeks to get everything moved and set up properly. It causes way too much disruption and work for myself.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Se7en #7068
Google wrote:
5 Australian dollars = 2.7611883 Euros

Someone kill me.

I'll try and slip you a few dollars (more like cents by any who), under the table here and there once I start getting paid. Or pretend I'm buying a song or two of iTunes. (yes, my iTunes account is linked to my mother's debit card and I ask for permision prior to each and every purpose. Why I buy off iTunes I'm not sure... in support of the artists... oh and the meta data and album art comes preloaded ^^)

Now I've finished thinking aloud, I will be donating in days (as in today or tomorrow, not next month) (maybe hours) to come.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:30 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
We don't use Euros, we use Sterling.

Quote:
5 Australian dollars = 2.43155547 British pounds

Makes it even worse :(

But it all helps! So thank you :) Remember, PayPal charge a small fee each time you send money, so don't send lots of little transactions, try to build it up a little or you'll just get more fees taken.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Se7en #7068
Andy wrote:
We don't use Euros, we use Sterling.

Quote:
5 Australian dollars = 2.43155547 British pounds

Makes it even worse :(

But it all helps! So thank you :) Remember, PayPal charge a small fee each time you send money, so don't send lots of little transactions, try to build it up a little or you'll just get more fees taken.

This reminds me of the time the tuck shop lady short changed me a whole damn dollar. I was furious.

Although, duly noted Andy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
I have donated 20 pounds. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:20 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Thank you very much! Greatly appreciated!

Remember, just because the %age hits 100%, it doesn't mean you don't have to donate. The funds can build up over time in case we have a bad month.

Thank you all!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:59 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Andy wrote:
Thank you very much! Greatly appreciated!

Remember, just because the %age hits 100%, it doesn't mean you don't have to donate. The funds can build up over time in case we have a bad month.

Thank you all!

Well if you got 200% you could pay a further month in advance :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:31 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Very true, but if you do that, and for some reason we need to change servers or any other unforeseen circumstances, the money can be "lost" as you apparently can't transfer it between servers... 8-) Stupid I know, but thats the data center rules not mine. I think 1 month is probably enough in most cases.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
OK, donated £15.00.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:52 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Thank you very much! :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
I'll be donating again tomorrow, I can't do much, but I usually do around 4.50 to 7 Pounds each round.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:36 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
IsaacD wrote:
I'll be donating again tomorrow, I can't do much, but I usually do around 4.50 to 7 Pounds each round.

It doesn't matter how much or how little you can donate, like I said, it all helps. Thanks :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP / Windows 7
I want to donate some money, but there isn't any other way then PayPal (I don't have a PayPal account...:P).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:45 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
MarkNL wrote:
I want to donate some money, but there isn't any other way then PayPal (I don't have a PayPal account...:P).

You could send it to me via cheque or wire transfer if you were desperate to donate :) That would be no problem. I just don't publish my bank details or address for obvious reasons, so its a need to know only basis.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:22 pm 
I have donated £5. for my registering....

PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP / Windows 7
I also donated 5 pounds.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 am 
FTP Access

I get paid twice on friday (better be getting paid TWICE on friday, I just left and they are required by law to pay out my vacation time - 83 hours at $9.79 - on friday or I get to collect 150% or 10 days worth of wages, whichever is higher). I'll send you $50 US. I remember how much it sucked having no job and surviving on five dollars of ramen per week.

And if you need a mirror server, I should be getting my server setup within the next month. It's getting the 6GB Q6700 setup from my main PC with an 8 port RocketRAID 4320 card and as many 1TB hard drives as I can get (set up in RAID 6 with one spare drive). I've only got 10mb down and 1.5mb up, but it's something.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:45 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Hi again guys,

I hate to have to bring this up again, since its been bad the last month and a half. Keep the donations coming in, no matter how small. Remember, if just 33 people donate £2 (~$4) that keeps the site going for another month. If you (and everyone else) can make that same £2 donation monthly then that ensures the site will stay up for another month.

There is enough in reserve at the moment to keep the site up until 28th September, but that doesn't mean you can put off donations! We need to keep that reserve just in case we genuinely do have a month where people can't donate due to lack of their own funds.

So please, donate as much as you can, no matter how small, and keep BA alive.

You know I hate making these posts about donations, so please don't take it to harshly. I don't think £2 a month is much to ask to keep our repository alive. :) If the donations become frequent and regular enough we may even be able to upgrade the server to 5x the current spec for just double the cost, so please, dig deep!

Andy (Admin)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:53 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
If the donations become frequent and regular enough we may even be able to upgrade the server to 5x the current spec for just double the cost, so please, dig deep!

Andy (Admin)

:O

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:57 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
zamadatix wrote:
Andy wrote:
If the donations become frequent and regular enough we may even be able to upgrade the server to 5x the current spec for just double the cost, so please, dig deep!

Andy (Admin)

:O

That's right. The spec I have been looking at is:

Core2Duo 2.4GHz
2GB RAM
4x1500GB HD's
100Mbps
Win2k3 Web Edition

So, that means the processor is far better and the disk space is far better. It's just what we need :) But it won't happen unless we are sure the donations are regular enough to support it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donations        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 pm 
Donator

BA latest advertising campaign:

Quote:
Hello, I'm Mr. Whyman on behalf of BetaArchive.co.uk. As you may know, things such as the financial crisis, swine flu and that persistent leak in your car's radiator has shown that donations to our site are in decline.

We do understand that many of our users would not shell out $15 for a sealed copy of Windows 95 for free with COA off eBay, let alone a couple of dollars (or pounds, rupee, yen, whatever gets you in the mood)

Donate today and not only guarantee the security of your account not being deleted* but also gain access to the servers hidden pr0n collection, over 400GB worth, for your one time donation today (plus 3 extra recurring donations of $19.99 and $29.99 postage and handling)

Please, donate today. We just bought this $1,250 MacBook which is an utter piece of ... quality equipment. Your donation goes far! (Including booze and pokerstars.net access for staff)

Oh, and see your name on some pretty page showing how cheap you are or whatever

*security of account guaranteed, bones may be possibly broken if donations are not made

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next