BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 14h, 52m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 5727MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: "Blog"... meh, nothing new, nothing unique...        Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:53 pm 
Administrator

Ah well, eventually it had to come to this, me writing a blo... *cough* personal forum thread... (the devil must be ice skating in hell by now...). To me all this "blog" business has been a big meh to me. All these people writing all these blogs all over the net thinking they are so cool and all that. And of course people respond like it's the next Internet revolution.

To me it's nothing new. I used to "blog" back in the 80's on a network called "Fidonet" when I hosted a node on my 'ol trusty 386 with a 9600bps dialup modem. I wrote stuff about my daily life and people responded. Everyone connected to Fidonet could read everything I wrote and reply. When Internet came around I did the same, but on a website. Back then it wasn't called a "blog", it was just a page named "My daily life". Nothing more than that.

And now this, everyone blogs about everything from the color of your toes to the dynamic nature of quantum particles. Big whoop. Until now I tried to stay away from this "revolution" and continue as I've always done, but a recent happening (you can read all about it in my next update) has made me realise that my blog could actually be of any use for you members here. I doubt anyone here wants to know what color my toes have or what I think of the Z particle so I promise I won't bring those topics up :). But I will try to discuss stuff that matters to me, and perhaps we all learn something from them. I get to vent some daily frustration, and hopefully someone will have some insight that will make my world a little bit happier. Or perhaps I'll make your world a bit happier.

However this is not my "blog". It's just a forum thread about my daily adventures in the land of the computers. If you call it a blog I'll DDOS you :).

Toodles!

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Blog"... meh, nothing new, nothing unique...        Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:17 pm 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:
To me it's nothing new. I used to "blog" back in the 80's on a network called "Fidonet" when I hosted a node on my 'ol trusty 386 with a 9600bps dialup modem.

I imagine that was like uploading a movie to a friend with how long it would take for decent length posts :P.

Glad to hear you finally have a blog, I cant wait to see what comes out of it :D.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Blog"... meh, nothing new, nothing unique...        Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:26 pm 
Administrator

Back then it was just pure ASCII text (with smilies of course, also nothing new), so it took only a second or two to make a "post". No big images, no web pages riddled with ad scripts and bloat like that. Just a pure upload of text which got tagged with a date and time. So it didn't take any time hehe.

And you used the b-word... expect your network to slow down considerably within the next hours :P (I really hate the b-l-o-g word... fooey... just another hip word (like cloud computing) to describe something that has been around for ages.)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Blog"... meh, nothing new, nothing unique...        Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:57 pm 
Donator

lol,well it is underImage

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Blog"... meh, nothing new, nothing unique...        Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
zamadatix wrote:
lol,well it is underImage

Thats a general term...

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Blog"... meh, nothing new, nothing unique...        Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 pm 
Donator

Blog, Blog, BLOG!!!

Just kidding, what CPU did that old machine have? (386SX/DX - Intel/AMD/Cyrix/Other)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Blog"... meh, nothing new, nothing unique...        Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:16 pm 
Administrator

The machine was of the Victor brand (pretty common in Sweden at the time), and the system was:

• Intel i386DX 16Mhz, no FPU
  • 8MB of RAM (60ns I believe), 8x1MB sticks
  • Two 32MB RLL harddrives (when they spun up the entire computer moved across the table!)
  • 256kb ISA VGA adapter, did 1024x768 in 256 colors
  • Sound Blaster AWE32 ISA soundcard (with 4MB onboard memory for soundfont banks)
  • 9600bps internal ISA dialup modem, made a horrible sound when dialing... drove my parents nuts.
  • One 3½" 1.44MB floppy drive
  • One 5¼" 1.2MB floppy drive
  • One 6x CD-ROM player (Creative brand, slow as hell, buggy as hell, noisy as hell :P )

Software was MS-DOS 6.0, Windows for Workgroups 3.11. I ran a BBS on it (used Remote Access BBS software, Terminate as client) during nighttime. It had all kinds of software on it (Aldus Photostyler, Aldus Pagemaker, After Dark screensavers, Microsoft Works (didn't use Office back then), Microsoft Visual Basic, Borland C, games... can't remember all of it, but I got everything except for the BBS and some apps that were unfortunately lost when I moved the BBS to the newer Pentium machine (where the harddrive crashed). And I never managed to recover the BBS files from the 386...

I still got the machine tho, and it's working :).

Top  Profile  WWW