BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 9h, 3m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5480MB of 11686MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Small updates to the site        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:33 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

After a few requests to have a number of changes to the site, I looked for other things to improve while I was editing.

Requests by members:
- Add "mark forums read" link on all forum pages, not just the forum homepage; you can now find a link at the top right of every forum page next to FAQ, Members and Search. Davehc wanted this modification.
- Fixed a problem on the new topics display where a forward slash was missing in a URL to user profiles. Thanks for pointing that out J.Byrne.

Fixes/updates by me:
- Closed up a few large gaps in the tables/divs by 10-15px in some cases. This will help users will smaller screens with less scrolling and more visible on the screen without scrolling.
- Reduced the size of the topic titles to a smaller size and removed the forum titles, as they're already present in the breadcrumbs.
- Removed un-necessary break lines.
- Fixed a problem on the server info page where the images wouldn't always update unless a force refresh was initiated. Adding Unix time to the end of the URL forces the browser to update the image now, thinking its different each time the page refreshes.

I hope this helps everyone!

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:24 am 
Donator

Very smart server image update fix Andy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
The updates that make the site visibly smaller make quite a difference on my EeePC :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:16 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Super :) Already making use of the forums read function. Thank you

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:14 pm 
FTP Access

"Davehc wanted this modification"
Thanks Andy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:00 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Andy wrote:
- Add "mark forums read" link on all forum pages, not just the forum homepage; you can now find a link at the top right of every forum page next to FAQ, Members and Search.

Just something I noticed. In the groups sections (i.e. click Announcements and News at the top, you see the forums in that group), that doesn't have the mark them read function. Just something I observed. Is it able to have the mark read function?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:03 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? The link appears on all pages, its in the overall header file, so regardless of the page it always appears.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:09 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
No probs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:19 am 
Donator

I see it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:25 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Rioter wrote:
No probs.

Quote:
you can now find a link at the top right of every forum page next to FAQ, Members and Search.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:19 pm 
FTP Access

The "Mark forums read" item at the top of the page doesn't seem to work. ??

Later:
Thats odd! The one in the Index isn't workng either.

Last edited by davehc on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:33 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Now I see it. I guess I was too ill to notice it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:47 pm 
FTP Access

Looking through the posts (Now - as best I can) it seems that I am a lone sufferer!
I just cannot "Mark forums read" any longer.
1. It is not a problem on any other forums.
2. I have tried with Opera FF and IE - no change.
3. I have not altered my CP in any way.
4. The function does not work for me in Index or on the item on the top of the page.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:23 pm 
Donator

Try clearing your cache and cookies and whatnot.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:53 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
mark topics read wont wor on the new/unanswered/active topics links i dont think but will work for the index page. as stated clear cookies but also authenticated sessions AND restart your browser before logging in again. the function does work!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:58 am 
FTP Access

Thank you for replying.
No need to extend this thread on my behalf, but the fact is it does not work for me. Clearing cookies and restarting the browser is not a desirable option for me.
Before the modification, whilst cumbersome, I returned to the index page and marked the forums as deleted.
Leaving the site and returning, no longer showed any postings. This is no longer the case.
LOl. Yes. Clearing the "whatnots" does get rid of everything, but I still find it difficult to understand why it is such a problem (unique on my computer - Vista and 7, only to this site). On the several other sites I visit, it is just the one click "mark forums read".

Anyway, no prob, I can live with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Small updates to the site        Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:07 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
as stated it can only be a cookie/session issue, ive seen it in 100% of cases so far where the features dont work, but if you cant follow the fix then thats something youll have to live with.

phpbb2 actually had a bug that cleared the posts after so long when the session expired, it wasnt a feature!!!

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]