BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 9h, 37m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5571MB of 10731MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: QoS is a wonderful thing when you run a home server        Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:09 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
QoS, ahh what an invention.

As you all know I used to run BetaArchive at home, and even though the site was of huge importance to me, so was downloading things quickly. As a result I ended up employing QoS (Quality of Service) on my router. This gave more priority to me downloading rather than giving it to the site. In the end I saw complaints, so I switched this around and made the site more priority than my downloading, and this still worked fairly well for me.

Its been in effect for a long time but recently I swapped it back around because I no longer host sites from home. Now, now and again I like to share some things I have with friends, and the files can be fairly large. Due to my slow upload speed (512Kbps maximum) it can take a long time to send it to them. But as many of you know if you max out your upload speed then you compromise your download speed. This is down to the act packets (acknowledgment packets) not getting returned so the server at the other end doesn't know you're ready for the next part. This can cause unresponsive web pages, slowness or complete halting in downloading of any file, and lagging in games if someone else on the same connection is playing games.

QoS solves this problem by prioritising applications, IP or MAC addresses. In my case I use static IP's for my server so I set it to use the IP. There are several settings on my router for QoS. Some are more complicated that other and allow more control but my router works perfect for me.

Quote:
Exempt - This class tries to keep the bandwidth and packet flow untouched.
Premium - The top bandwidth class. By default handshaking and ICMP packets fall into this class. This class should be used sparingly. Occasionally VoIP service may be placed in this class so that voice receives top priority.
Express - The Express class is for interactive applications that require bandwidth above standard services so that interactive apps run smoothly.
Standard - All services that are not specifically classed will fall under the standard class.
Bulk - The bulk class is only allocated bandwidth when the remaining classes are idle. Use this class for P2P services and downloading services like FTP.

I use Bulk as my setting because no matter how much the person tries to download on the FTP server, my desktop PC, laptop, my Dads PC and any other connected computer for that matter, has higher priority over downloading and uploading bandwidth than the server does.

Overnight I was uploading to a friend at 45KB/s. I needed to upload a file while he was also using my upstream bandwidth. No problem, I started the upload, my speed hit 45KB/s and his dropped to about 1.2KB/s. Thats how the QoS works. I got priority, and he lost it while I was using up the bandwidth. Once my upload finished, his speed returned to 45KB/s.

Some routers QoS works better than others. I have a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware installed on it, and its very well built. Unlike original firmware supplied from Linksys, this one actually works the way it was designed to because its from a 3rd party supplier who knows what he wants!

So, if you run a server from home and find uploading and downloading a pain because your server is using the bandwidth, try out QoS if your servers bandwidth use isn't as important as your computers bandwidth use. I can guarantee you'll enjoy it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: QoS is a wonderful thing when you run a home server        Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Business
Shame you cant touch it on my Orange Livebox can on my virgin one though!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: QoS is a wonderful thing when you run a home server        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 pm 
FTP Access

My router (WRT54G with DD-WRT) was able to use QoS, but... my god, that thing crashed constantly. My new server shouldn't have that problem (I hope)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: QoS is a wonderful thing when you run a home server        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I use the same router, and it never crashes, at least it hasn't so far anyway. Maybe when you flashed it, it went bad? Try re-flashing it with the latest version too, its really good.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: QoS is a wonderful thing when you run a home server        Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:03 am 
FTP Access

Interesting write up Andy, I honestly didn't think about that. Maybe when I get my own setup going I'll do that.

:)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: QoS is a wonderful thing when you run a home server        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:22 am 
Donator

expert01 wrote:
My router (WRT54G with DD-WRT) was able to use QoS, but... my god, that thing crashed constantly. My new server shouldn't have that problem (I hope)

Lately it seems they just throw some 30-30-30 reset rule in your face if something doesn't work. I never could get QoS working well on routers with 8MB RAM. Never had any problems with 16MB units though. I've been using DD-WRT for a few years now and haven't had any *major* problems with it. As long as you have it configured correctly and always make sure you clear the settings out and manually reset them with every firmware upgrade you'll be fine. Had different versions running for months at a time without any issues. I've become a bigger fan of OpenWRT though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: QoS is a wonderful thing when you run a home server        Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
I use manufacturer firmware because DD-WRT void warranty. :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: QoS is a wonderful thing when you run a home server        Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:49 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
motherboardlove wrote:
I use manufacturer firmware because DD-WRT void warranty. :P

Changing firmware only voids the warranty if you send it back broken like that ;) If its not broken enough to get the old firmware on, put it back on then send it back, or play dumb and say "whats firmware?" when they ask ;) Its almost impossible to brick a WRT54G anyway, and there are loads of ways to bring them back to life if they do get bricked.

Top  Profile  WWW