BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 22h, 25m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 6079MB of 10816MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Your speed from the BetaArchive FTP Server using SINGLE and MULTIPLE threads?
95-100% speed of your connection with a SINGLE THREAD 28%  28%  [ 16 ]
85-100% speed of your connection with MULTIPLE THREADS 23%  23%  [ 13 ]
75-94% speed of your connection with a SINGLE THREAD 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
75-94% speed of your connection with MULTIPLE THREADS 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
50-74% speed of your connection with a SINGLE THREAD 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
50-74% speed of your connection with MULTIPLE THREADS 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
25-49% speed of your connection with a SINGLE THREAD 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
25-49% speed of your connection with MULTIPLE THREADS 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
0-24% speed of your connection with a SINGLE THREAD 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
0-24% speed of your connection with MULTIPLE THREADS 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 57
 PostPost subject: Server speed, your views        Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

I'd like to ask everyone to take just a few minutes to answer this quick poll about speeds you get from the BetaArchive FTP server.

If you don't have access yet then you don't need to answer this poll.

Simply put, what sort of speed, given in the poll, can you get from the BetaArchive FTP server with SINGLE and MULTIPLE threads?

Note: Threads means "connections".

Thank you.

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm 
Donator

With a single thread i get like 900KB/s (sometimes less) of my 1.30MB/s connection.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Single thread for me would be a couple less than 150 KB per second for downloads. For uploads, the speed will go up and down all the time, but max out at 40 KB/s. However I found that multiple threads when uploading will give me more than 40 KB/s.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Both at Max:

Download = 1.4MB/s
Upload = 200KB/s

Admin edit: Edited your mbps to MB/s and KB/s, since you got them wrong (no-one has 200Mbps upload!).

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:29 am 
Donator

Most of the time, no more than 25KB/s.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
I've only ever downloaded one at the time, and every time I downloaded a file, it was always at the max speed I can get. Currently swimming at 800KB/s

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:00 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm Always able to use near enough 100% of my 128kb/s line :P
Crap I know but meh

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:51 pm 
Donator

I always got 70kB/s (or sometimes lower) when single-threading. To fully maximize my crappy 1mbps connection, I usually run two thread simultaneously unless there's only one file I need to download. Two thread per download would make the transfer faster though 8)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:09 pm 
FTP Access

In my 2M/512K, no more than 36 KB/s donwload, and full (45-59 KB/s) upload. Not my ISP's limitation. On the same connection, I was able to get 220-240 KB/s before :(

I didn't checked "Multiple threads" -- looks like GetRight doesn't like connecting to BA's server ("Connected, logging in..." with no network activity).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:11 pm 
85-100% speed of your connection with MULTIPLE THREADS

- I picked that cos it means theres more chance of your server DDOSing.

PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
RobJackson wrote:
85-100% speed of your connection with MULTIPLE THREADS

- I picked that cos it means theres more chance of your server DDOSing.

Um, you don't have Server access.

It's not DDoS if it's from a single connection, that's a DoS.

And I very much doubt you have the power to bring down BA's 100MBit/s line from Home.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:17 pm 
na i mean if a trabillion people were using it. and it had a 80-100% multi-thread setup.

Also lal and "not having access".

PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:23 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Rob, you have no idea what you're on about do you? DoSing has nothing to do with this topic or anything I have even spoken about. I suggest you learn what you're talking about before you talk about it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:17 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Some odd behaviour I have picked up, I stared (re)downloading Windows 7 Beta ISO. Started at 650kbps, then slowly, it's dropped to 130kbps. I'm suspecting this is AOL / Crapfone warehouse slowly degrading my internet speeds (no surprises there), but I may as well ask if anyone else gets this problem. So far, it's been saying 1hr to go till finished for three hours now. Fun.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Couldn't it be that many people are downloading stuff, then off-course the speed drops.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:29 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
DjRob wrote:
Couldn't it be that many people are downloading stuff, then off-course the speed drops.

The server bandwidth rarely exceeds 25%. Its more likely the ISP employing transparent throttling in order to save money.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:36 am 
Donator

Then, if I may ask, how to download with multiple threads from BA FTP?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:24 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
Rob, you have no idea what you're on about do you? DoSing has nothing to do with this topic or anything I have even spoken about. I suggest you learn what you're talking about before you talk about it.

It's funny when kids get their panties in a knot over beta software.

It's just software, ffs. Your precious betas have leaked and its out there so there is no point still being mad. In the end, the end user doesn't care where it came from

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:33 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Andy wrote:
DjRob wrote:

The server bandwidth rarely exceeds 25%. Its more likely the ISP employing transparent throttling in order to save money.

Indeed it is. I complained to AOL getting dial up speeds, they sorted that problem out, then told me during peak times they will cut down speeds to ensure smooth internet access for all their customers.

Meh

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:50 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
FarCry3r wrote:

Very few FTP clients support it for single files, so you will need a download manager capable of SSL encryption to download a single file on more than one thread. For multiple files, well thats more than one thread already if you download them in parallel.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
FarCry3r wrote:

Very few FTP clients support it for single files, so you will need a download manager capable of SSL encryption to download a single file on more than one thread. For multiple files, well thats more than one thread already if you download them in parallel.

The only download manager I've ever used is Flashget classic :oops: , any recommendation? Btw, if I have more than 1 files to download, then I can fully utilize the speed, but most of the time, it's only one file at a time...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:07 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Avoid Flashget, it hammers the server if not configured properly and will result in a ban.

Try googleing "Free download manager" and it should be the first link, which funnily enough the program is called "free download manager". Try that and see if it supports SSL and splitting files for multiple threads. If not try "getright", that can definitely split files but I don't know if it supports SSL.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:36 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
If not try "getright", that can definitely split files but I don't know if it supports SSL.

It can't. Hangs at "Connected, logging in..."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:02 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
Avoid Flashget, it hammers the server if not configured properly and will result in a ban.

Try googleing "Free download manager" and it should be the first link, which funnily enough the program is called "free download manager". Try that and see if it supports SSL and splitting files for multiple threads. If not try "getright", that can definitely split files but I don't know if it supports SSL.

Let just wait for other members that have any SSL-capable download manager while I go hunt for it on Google. Btw, almost all download managers can split files, my Flashget classic included...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Server speed, your views        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Well why not use that then? Just make sure you don't use more than 4 connections.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next