BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 7h, 5m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5997MB of 11129MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:47 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

As some of you may have noticed from the graphs on the server info page, the server has hovered around 100gb free space for quite a while now. Since we have had quite a lot of additions this week, that free space has now dropped to just 20gb. This now means we have ran out of space on the server. However, don't fret, since the data center offers 500GB USB disks to be connected to the server, and we can have up to 4 of these disks connected.

Now, the disks aren't free obviously. They cost £10/month + VAT, so that brings it to £11.50/month extra on top of the £46 server cost, bringing the new total to £57.50/month for the server. I will be updating the donations page to reflect these changes, and also the donations script (which may have to be re-written to include the price change on different months).

I was having a hard think about how we could implement the new drive without making two download accounts like we used to have. The way I have thought of doing this is to move the larger folders onto the USB disk, then mounting the NTFS folder into the current D:\ drive folder where the betas are currently installed. To the users of the FTP this will simply appear transparently to you as another folder. You won't even know the new disk has been installed unless you look at the free disk space graph (or the to-be-added miniature status script I am going to work on soon).

We currently hold over 600gb of betas that are free to download and access on an unlimited basis. While BA will never charge for the access to these betas and will always be ad free, we do need the continued donations to keep the server online! Even if you can only donate a few pounds/dollars a month, every penny helps! I just took on more hours at work too so that will increasingly help my ability to pay the bills and pay for extras should we ever need them.

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:14 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7600 x64
You are a good man (:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.7&Ubuntu 11.04
Man you are the best... And as I promised before when I do have the cash I will donate. You don't know how much BetaArchive has made life easier for acquiring betas.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:20 am 
FTP Access

Andy, you are a admin from heaven :D

Last edited by dexter152 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:40 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Didn't I say that you should get an extra 500GB for BA before on MSN?
I think its a grate idea and needed

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:58 pm 
Donator

Very nice! :D

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:07 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
I just took on more hours at work too so that will increasingly help my ability to pay the bills and pay for extras should we ever need them.

Andy (Admin)

you didn't take on more hours just to get more money for the server did you?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:46 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Mavericks
Knowing Andy's dedication to BA and having known him before he started BA, he has quite possibly taken on more hours to pay for the server.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I took on more hours because nobody can live on 16 hours a week on minimum wage. I was doing 'OK', but if I want the best of things in life, I have to work for it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
What's your guys' minimum wage over in the UK? In the US, the federal minimum wage is $6.55/hr and in the State of Massachusetts, it's $8/hr.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:35 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
nickenzi wrote:
What's your guys' minimum wage over in the UK? In the US, the federal minimum wage is $6.55/hr and in the State of Massachusetts, it's $8/hr.

It depends on your age. I am on just above the the 22+ minimum wage which is £5.73/hr ($10 ish/hr). I am on £5.75/hr.

Quote:
What are the current rates of the national minimum wage?

There are three levels of minimum wage, and the rates from 1 October 2008 are:

* £5.73 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
* A development rate of £4.77 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive
* £3.53 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Hmmm. That's different. Thanks for the info. Good luck with your job!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:25 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
The disk was installed yesterday, as some of you may know there was around 45 minutes downtime because of the installation.

I have configured the disk to be an alias inside the download folder. The folder that is entirely on the USB drive is the PC folder inside the (Beta) Operating Systems folder. To you this will seem just like before, with no changes. Anyone who was downloading when I changed this over will have been kicked, but they can immediately resume with no problems.

mrpijey is going to continue with his uploads as of today so you can expect more goodies to come soon!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Extra disk space for the FTP server        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 pm 
Administrator

And lots of goodies it is. It will take some time to upload and prepare, so be patient =D.

Update: Everything has been packed up and it's uploading now. It will take some time to upload 95GB worth of releases! This includes abandonware and betas for all various platforms. So stay tuned for the massive log update as well. :cry: :D .

I think I heard Andy faint across the bay... before you stab me with a rusty pitchfork remember Andy that this huge update is a one time only *making a safe distance from Andy just in case...* :P

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]