BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 4h, 21m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 2209MB of 3605MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Reason for my absence...        Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:51 pm 
Administrator

Some of you might have seen that I have not been very active as of late, which may be quite odd considering my new position as co-admin. The reason is that I needed a break. A lot of bad stuff has happened lately (many of which you are aware of it being BA related) and also some other stuff.

Becoming the co-admin of this site has not been the most fun experience as I had hoped for. Since I got promoted I have gotten endless of messages from various people questioning why I bother with the site, claiming Andy has gone mad with his recent actions, if I am planning to make a hostile takeover of BA and even if I have "allied" myself with Andy to attack other sites, also questioning my loyalties considering I am an admin of several sites, some that may rival BA. On top of that my email and IM has started to be spammed more than usual (my IM was NEVER spammed before until I became an admin).

Let's get some straight facts on paper before I continue.

• Andy has not gone mad with the recent bans and various activities on BA. All actions carry consequences, some are felt harder than others. Bans are not given without reason.
  • I am not planning to do any takeover of any kind, hostile or not. Ever. Period.
  • I have not allied myself to do anything against BA or other sites, nor has Andy.
  • Andy knows where my loyalties are, and you are not entitled to question it. He is since he knows me well enough and respect me.

There... now for you people that more than needed read between the lines and in realtime fabricate your own illusions of reality:

Andy chose me to work with him. I didn't force it upon him, I only offered my services if he ever wanted it. I can not speak for what Andy thinks of me, but Andy and I got a pretty good friendship going on, we talk daily and we don't judge each other based on other peoples opinions are or whatever. I trust Andy to not screw me over, and I believe Andy trusts me for the same reason. If Andy ever asked me to take over BA on a temporary basis or permanent I might consider it, but it is never my aim, nor has it ever been. BA is Andy's site and I have no claims on it.

It is true that I am hosting FTP-sites for rival beta sites such as The Beta Archive (run by Daniel K.) and also the OSBetaGroup, run by former BA member Obrasilo. I know this fact may make the pants of many members wet with conspiracy theories and whatever that may turn in your twisted minds, but I am not some kind of spy, nor do I deliver any "messages" or info between any of the sites. My interest lies only in promoting the beta community and help it along as I can. My relationships with Daniel K. and Obrasilo is none of your concern. As a side note, BA and TBG doesn't even rival each other since they are aiming at different goals, none in conflict with the other. With OSBG I don't know, but Obrasilo's reason to run it is his own, he has the right to run a site just as every one else. Neither site is comparable to the other.

Now back to the reason why I am a bit "off" at the moment:

I am tired of all you kids messing around with the sites. It's like there is some basic and primal urge to bash and destroy everything you see without the regards of other members around you, all because you can't accept that we all have different opinions about things. So instead of accepting or trying to help you choose to destroy. I have tried to be supportive to each of you that contacted me and tried to be diplomatic and explain that what you do is WRONG and doesn't serve any purpose at all. I've tried to explain it in both a mature way, and also in a childish way, however some of you didn't get it either way.

So from now on I am going to take a different stance before I continue. First of all I am going to reconsider my contribution on all the sites. I may have a lot of stuff, I may have a lot of patience, understanding, ideas and internet bandwidth. But it's not unlimited, and most of it has just about run out.

First action was to cut access to my private server. I know that some of you liked it and used to download it, and most of the members here deserve it, and I also want to share my stuff as thanks for letting me download your shared stuff. However there are those individuals that pester the site and these people don't deserve to get access. So I had to shut it down. Perhaps in the future when people learned to be civil and grateful for other peoples hard work I may activate it again, but for now it's off limits for anyone I don't trust. Don't bother asking for access, if you don't already have access you won't get it either.

I am also going to consider my membership status of all the sites, and I'll let those sites know what I decide shortly. It will not be up for discussion either since every party knows what I expected, they know the "price" I ask in return to help out. It's a very cheap and fair "price", and those deserving my help will also "pay up".

I am going to be very restrictive about to whom I talk to. I am tired of all these people adding me to their MSN lists asking me for stuff, favors or whatever and then just leaving, only to be heard of some time later when they need more stuff. There is a reason why web design, FTP hosting, bandwidth and other services cost a lot of money. I give it for free, but that will be severely limited now.I will remove these free-looters from the list at my leisure and since I get spammed on MSN I need to turn off the option to receive messages from people not on my list. So if you ever want to get in touch again I will not respond since I will not see your message. If your contact request is sincere enough contact me through the board(s) and I might respond.

I will instantly delete any member that brings up any old crap about old issues, trash talks any other member or website. I am tired of hearing the same old lies over and over again. If your issue is a reasonable one (a member mistreating his membership on BA etc) then send me or Andy a PM and we'll deal with it through official channels. Otherwise if you just want to chat then you are welcome to get in touch with me. In every conflict there are always three sides. Your side, their side and the truth. If it's worth my time and effort I will find out the truth. Otherwise I'll stay out of the issue and let the time and the truth sort it out by itself.

As for my loyalty, you are not entitled to judge me based on where I am a member. I don't need to prove anything to any of you, I am a member on any site I choose out of my free will and interest. I don't use any other site to gain an advantage over another, that's just immature and goes against what i want to do and what I believe in. You don't know me well enough to judge my intentions. And if you do know me you know very well what my intentions are, and from what I can see only two people on this board know me well enough to be entitled to judge me. And as for most things in life, your actions speak for themselves. Act like an idiot and you will be judged as one.

Here are some info for those of you that thinks I got some agenda or that thinks I care about every bit of thing that is happening in the beta community, you better remember this part...:

• I don't care what you think about a given situation. For all I care you don't exist so I don't have to deal with you and your "problem".
  • Your opinions about my loyalties are as important to me as a bug is to a giant.
  • I don't care about any problem you got with a former member or non-member. As an ex-/former member he is not my problem anymore. You make your own decisions and you take responsibility for your own actions. If you make your life a living hell then don't try to justify it to me, I don't care. If you sincerely want some advice then perhaps I'll answer. Otherwise stay out of my way. You make your own bed! (a saying for those of you that don't get it).
  • If you want to discuss things with me you do it with as much respect for me as you expect in return. If you want me to be nice and responsive then you better be the same in return.
  • I also don't care whatever you think about Andy, Obrasilo, Kenoath, Wildeye or whomever member or former member on this or any other forum. I can make my own opinions of each member without anyone whispering behind my back, if you got any problems with them take it up with them directly. Leave me out of it, I am not your messenger boy. And nothing you say or any "proof" you bring forth will make me think otherwise. Chat logs, forums, IP:s etc. on the internet is no proof of anything except that you learned how to save a log, make one up or read a website. Congratulations.
  • My actions on BA will be based on what happens on BA. I don't care what you did on any other forum, however if you abuse BA you will be punished. However ALL your actions only helps me to make my opinion about you. I don't punish people based on opinions of my own (or any others), however the punishment itself may be based on what I think about you. Be nice and I may give you a break in return. It's common sense.

I have my limits and I have my own "code of conduct". But there are days like the last weeks where I just sit down and wonder why the hell I am doing this. Why I am sitting on the Internet listening to a whole bunch of pre-adolescent whiners and watching them destroy what I love when I can do any number of other things where I can be with mature people that knows how to behave and take part in a mature and giving community? Remember that I am older than most of you, and I come from a time when Internet didn't exist. Back then the "net" (being various BBS:es, FidoNet etc) was reserved only for the people that knew how to use them properly. For people that cared about being part of something greater than themselves. Gradually with the simplicity of Internet and software this group has been replaced by a bunch of kids thinking that they are the know-it-all and that Internet is free from any responsibility, decency and rules. And they want everything, straight up, right now and for free. This is why some of us decided to go away from the main communities. This is the reason some of us goes "underground", creating closed and elite groups, groups with people we can trust and without the risk of being spammed down by kids.

What I do on BA I do mainly for myself. I love the beta community but it's been taken away from me bit by bit. I have seen the same happen to an another community I was a contributing member of before, which is the online gaming community (more specifically the Star Trek online gaming community). From being a professional community it's come down to spamming kids that thinks they are "teh stuff" and thinks they have the right to mess with anyone else that is different from them. The same is happening on this community. But I am still part of it, and I am still part of BA, which I believe has a great chance to be a very important hub for beta resources. I know what some of you think about that, you may read my above statements. We all are part of the community and mold it into the shape we want it to be. As simple as it may sound, but if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Anything you do to disrupt the community makes it worse, thus NOT improving what you hold so dear.

This is by far my most harsh post I've EVER done in any community, but with the recent events I had to make a point. Either that, or I would have left for good. And I still want to be part of the community and be part of the solution, not the problem. I may be off at times since I got other duties to attend to (work, private life, other hobbies etc), but I will be here when I can, and I will listen to anyone that has anything worthwhile to say.

I will stay admin on this site as long as I can keep up with it, and as long as Andy wants me to be admin. And I'll do what I can to help him and BA move along, with or without the members help.

Enjoy your time on BetaArchive. It is as good as you want it to be. If you can help in any way contact me or Andy, if you got any problem with BetaArchive please do the same, and be reasonable. Have fun on BA and help it to evolve in any way you can.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:25 am 
Donator

mrpijey I'd like to applaud you for your recent actions on BA - which includes removing your FTP server - yes it was an excellent server but recently kids have just continued leeching it without actually contributing to the community (be it information or actual software.) I just hope that this will teach users that leeching continually is unfair on everyone, and posting only when you want to get into a new FTP isn't fair either.

Good luck and I really hope that you do not leave, it's just a shame that users are unappreciative and don't care about the site

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:33 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I'd like to add to this that I share the same views as mrpijey on almost everything. Thing will be changing around the site and on my personal e-mail and messenger. Rules will be enforced more heavily, nuisance users will be warned, and if the warning is ignored they will be banned, and as of a week or so from now, moderators will be able to warn and ban users as well.

I also applaud mrpijey for taking his server down. As happy dude said, people taking advantage of something given to you for free with no thanks or "reimbursement" for the services provided is just wrong. Even the BA FTP might under-go some changes in that department as well. With threats from other communities on "stealing" the entire FTP (which can be done rather quickly actually), daily bandwidth limits per IP might have to be put in force. 5-10GB/day should cover most people and deter people from committing such an act. Remember this isn't in force yet, but should this happen, it WILL be used, so don't spoil it for yourself and everyone else.

On the messenger front, today I had a user who continually harassed me on messenger this evening, despite my status saying busy, and the person even asking me themselves if I was busy, to which my reply was yes. Despite that, this person still harassed me, so without warning, I hit block, and thats how it will stay. So, when my status says busy, or I say I'm busy, don't harass me, send me a message and wait for a reply. This user nudged, sent several messages, then with no reply there proceeded to PM me on the forum at 5-10 minute intervals. This user has been warned now and the next time they harass me they will be banned without warning. Harsh? No. You try it and see what its like. KenOath just went through something similar (different story, not mentioning any more here).

I think mrpijey pretty much summarised everything I would have said anyway, so I'll leave it there.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
You guys are making a good decision with everything your doing. While i enjoyed your server Mr.Pijey (only used it like twice but still) it's for the better you took it down. I site im a mod at went through something sorta similar when a competing site rose up from our staff members and the admin had to remove them which caused all the people to go loopy (loss of a better word) and we went through many nasty pm's, annoying im's and floods of links got stolen and put on the other site. And we had to deal with a few thousand leachers out of 500k members so it was a pain but it calmed down. But anyways im sorry you had to go through what you did and it goes to show that many people on the internet are quite immature and only want to use it for their advantage.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:15 am 
Donator

You have to wonder, what would BA be like if we suddenly had no servers.
Some might say it would be a change for the better, servers attract the wrong sort.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:33 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
jabster wrote:
Some might say it would be a change for the better, servers attract the wrong sort.

There were suggestions to close down the BA FTP for an unspecified amount of time, but I dismissed it. Maybe its time to rethink... maybe?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:42 am 
Donator

At least it will show who really is here for the long haul, and who's a leeching [censored]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
happy dude wrote:
At least it will show who really is here for the long haul, and who's a leeching [censored]

Would it show people who are here for the long haul? I would of assumed the leechers would of just got into the Advanced Members group and then stopped posting. I have no doubt that closing the FTP's would stop troublesome users from signing up, but I don't believe many of the current users would leave if the FTP's go.

Perhaps I'm just being a hypocrite because I was one of the people who thought it would of been best if all the ftp's closed when the conflict occurred. Though I feel as a low posting user that things have changed for the better since that conflict.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:42 am 
FTP Access

New guy here,let me be honest,I myself came here looking for "freebies"but after lurking on here and reading the posts and studying the people on here it has came to my conclusion that there are a few people who are here for only the freebies,but they are out weighed by the people who want a friendly community where a person can relax and enjoy themselves,I may not make a lot of posts (read:lurk) but I will tell you one thing,I would like to be here for the long ride and I will make posts when I have questions or feel I have something of worth to say.I am a child of the 70's and I can see the kiddies who want to just cause trouble.You guys have a good system going,please don't let some bad apples destroy it,get rid of them when you see them,slowly start cleansing the site.
I no longer count myself as just wanting "freebies" I want to bask in the collective knowledge of this site and learn from it.To experience what I can not figure out myself.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 am 
Donator

One thing that people keep touching on in this thread that needs to be adressed is post sounts.

How few or many posts you have has no relevance, and your post count doesn't make your opinions any less or more valid

I can't speak for other people, but when I'm reading a post I'm thinking about what the person is saying and how they are saying it, not the number next to the post.

Reasonable people aren't going to judge you based on how many posts you've made

Many people join the site for the freebies, the problem is those who stay for the freebies.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:05 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
jabster wrote:

There were suggestions to close down the BA FTP for an unspecified amount of time, but I dismissed it. Maybe its time to rethink... maybe?

This is just an idea I had 10 seconds ago, but maybe each user could get their own account on the FTP. From there, you could have a 'download credits' system, where eg:
For every 1mb you upload, you can download 3mb.

It's just another idea.

EDIT: Congrats Andy 5000 posts!

Last edited by lucas93 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:10 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I think this is a good idea, but it's kinda impossible with so many members ....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:18 pm 
Administrator

lucas93 wrote:
This is just an idea I had 10 seconds ago, but maybe each user could get their own account on the FTP. From there, you could have a 'download credits' system, where eg:
For every 1mb you upload, you can download 3mb.

It's just another idea.

Wow, do you realise the amount of administrative work that would bring? We would probably need half a dozen people just managing all the FTP accounts... Sure it would be a great way to control the traffic and usage, but impractical from an administrative point of view. Without individual accounts the ratio system would also fail since it can't be applied on one account alone.

Andy and I have however already discussed some of these ideas and we had some creative solutions, but at this point nothing that can be implemented easily. For now we're focusing on the forum itself and the sorrounding services. In the end it's up to the users to be careful with the FTP. If it's abused penalties will be applied to it such as for example scheduled lockdowns, VIP accounts, VPN requirements, IP filtering and even harder entry requirements.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Lol ill prolly donate soon so i can get into the vip lol. I hate seeing areas i can't get into.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:21 pm 
FTP Access

A 5GB-10GB limit would not be a bad idea. I downloaded Windows 7 from the server, but never bothered installing it and I haven't downloaded anything since. Bans need to be handed out where they are due or the community would go to the dogs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Cursed wrote:
A 5GB-10GB limit would not be a bad idea. I downloaded Windows 7 from the server, but never bothered installing it and I haven't downloaded anything since. Bans need to be handed out where they are due or the community would go to the dogs.
I completely agree with this, especially the 5-10GB bandwidth limit.

I also believe that chosing administrators who share your view on "everything" won't fix any problems that BetaArchive may or may not have - what we need would be two or three administrators with their own ideas and ideals. The answer to the problems this forum is having will lie in their comprimises.

Just my two cents.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
All forums have their bad members, and their staff are well within their rights to ban anyone who violates those rules. Hell anyone who thinks the rules on this site are harsh ought to see how badly the idiots over at Neowin moderate

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:43 pm 
FTP Access

That's ridiculous as to what happened to you mrpijey, and it's a shame there are people out there who have nothing better to then to be idiots. It's a shame that they had to ruin it for everyone, but it's completely understandable as to why you did what you did. If it was me, I would have been far less patient, and I would have blocked them from MSN and probably banned if they decided to harass me via the forums.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:13 am 
Administrator

Derf wrote:
I also believe that chosing administrators who share your view on "everything" won't fix any problems that BetaArchive may or may not have - what we need would be two or three administrators with their own ideas and ideals. The answer to the problems this forum is having will lie in their comprimises.

Just my two cents.

Andy and I don't agree on everything. But both of us has the capacity for seeing trouble far ahead, seeing the consequence from an action not made yet. And that skill comes only with age and experience, and both of us are older than most on this forum.

One very important thing when it comes to choosing administrators and moderators is to choose people that are willing to openly discuss things, and actually accept that others have a different opinion, and also agree on a compromise. And sometimes you need to accept that your wishes will not come true at all, and you have to accept that without acting like a kid that was denied his candy. As "leaders" we have to sometimes make sacrifices for the greater good. Some members may moan, but both of us understand that there is no chance whatsoever to satisfy everyone. Sometimes we make decisions to help everyone in the long run and not just for the time being. It's not very easy being an admin, contrary to a real life war where the deciding generals sit far away from the battlefield when the men are being slaughtered the admins are on the very front row, taking all the hits first hand.

In this situation Andy and I happen to have a very good relationship where we can discuss ideas, actually tell eachother that my or his idea suck and discuss a compromise. Or simply say "OK, we'll do it your way", even if you don't agree it's the best solution. As a kid you want everything your way, right now. As you grow older you learn to see things from a greater perspective, and to have patience. And in that regard we are far ahead most members here. Unfortunately. And that's perhaps one reason I was chosen. You have to ask Andy about that :P.

</rant>

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re:        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
I think it NOT be based on upload, because people could upload crap, download, change IP and start the cycle over. I think it should be based on the value of your posts, ADDED (not averaged) to your upload MB, for every 1MB you upload, 10MB down.

Derf wrote:
Cursed wrote:
I completely agree with this, especially the 5-10GB bandwidth limit.

Just my two cents.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Reason for my absence...        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:10 am 
Donator

That's flawed and it would never work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Reason for my absence...        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:13 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
That's flawed and it would never work.

Thats why a quota system will probably never be implemented on BA. Even if it was, it wouldn't be that strict. A 10:1 ratio would probably be a more sensible way to do it, but even then, people will run out of proper things to upload so it just wouldn't work in the long run. If we were going to do a quota system then it would be on a daily download limit basis.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]