BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 1h, 42m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 2552MB of 3557MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 PostPost subject: BetaArchive Survey        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:00 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
What do you think of the site?
A survey for BetaArchive

BetaArchive has been around for 2 years now, and because I’m an Admin that likes to interact with the members and make the place structured by the members and not by myself, I’d like to take the time to ask a few questions about what you think of the site and what you think of me as an Admin on the whole. Now, I’d like you to be honest please! If you don’t like me, please say so! I’d like to do my best to change for the better of everyone’s needs.

I have come up with a few questions I’d like to ask, but you can also put down your own comments yourself when you are done.

I hope you're all brave enough to voice your comments!

The site:
    1. What do you think of the website template and its structure? Colour theme, layout etc.
    2. Do you find the site easy to navigate and can you find everything you want to?
    3. Do you ever encounter any bugs on the site? If so what are they?
    4. Do you have any comments about my decision of putting off the transfer to phpBB3?

The forum:
    5. Do you find the number of categories to be too little, just enough or too many?
    6. What improvements could you make to the categories if you could?
    7. Do you think the site being “closed” in some areas is a good idea? If so why and if not why?
    8. If you could change the “closed” area rules, what would you change?

General Questions:
    9. If BetaArchive were to charge a small monthly fee for access to the “closed” areas, what amount would you feel would be reasonable? (Don’t worry BA won’t be doing this any time soon! I just want your opinion!)
    10. Do you think the fee to get into the VIP group is appropriate? If not, why?

Servers:
    11. If you have access to the BA official server, what speed do you get?
    12. How much of your connection does a single download utilise?
    13. Have you ever utilised all of your connection from the BA official server?
    14. Do you think its right keeping the BA official server “closed”?

Admin (me):
    15. Do you like the way I run the forum, and the way I assess and dismiss member’s opinions?
    16. On the whole, what would you say my good points are?
    17. And my bad points?
    18. If you could be Admin (me) for a day, what would you change and why?

If you have any other comments, please leave them, I’d love to know what you think about me and about the site!

And thank you for taking the time to complete this survey. You know how much I value members comments and I like to make a difference.

Please use this template to answer the questions. Copy and paste it into your post then type your answer below each question. Please don't remove the BBcode! It is easier to see answers in this form. Thanks.

Code:
[b]The site:[/b]
[list][b]1.   What do you think of the website template and its structure? Colour theme, layout etc.[/b]

[b]2.   Do you find the site easy to navigate and can you find everything you want to?[/b]

[b]3.   Do you ever encounter any bugs on the site? If so what are they?[/b]

[b]4.   Do you have any comments about my decision of putting off the transfer to phpBB3?[/b]

[/list]
[b]The forum:[/b]
[list][b]5.   Do you find the number of categories to be too little, just enough or too many?[/b]

[b]6.   What improvements could you make to the categories if you could?[/b]

[b]7.   Do you think the site being “closed” in some areas is a good idea? If so why and if not why?[/b]

[b]8.   If you could change the “closed” area rules, what would you change?[/b]

[/list]
[b]General Questions:[/b]
[list][b]9.   If BetaArchive were to charge a small monthly fee for access to the “closed” areas, what amount would you feel would be reasonable? (Don’t worry BA won’t be doing this any time soon! I just want your opinion!)[/b]

[b]10.   Do you think the fee to get into the VIP group is appropriate? If not, why?[/b]

[/list]
[b]Servers:[/b]
[list][b]11.   If you have access to the BA official server, what speed do you get?[/b]

[b]12.   How much of your connection does a single download utilise?[/b]

[b]13.   Have you ever utilised all of your connection from the BA official server?[/b]

[b]14.   Do you think its right keeping the BA official server “closed”?[/b]

[/list]
[b]Admin (me):[/b]
[list][b]15.   Do you like the way I run the forum, and the way I assess and dismiss member’s opinions?[/b]

[b]16.   On the whole, what would you say my good points are?[/b]

[b]17.   And my bad points?[/b]

[b]18.   If you could be Admin (me) for a day, what would you change and why?[/b]

[/list]
[b]Other Comments[/b][list]

[/list]

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Last edited by Andy on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:11 pm 
Donator

The site:
    1. What do you think of the website template and its structure? Colour theme, layout etc.
    1. I actually prefer light templates, but that one is ok. Maybe we could add a second one, or maybe ask some members IF THEY would like to make one

2. Do you find the site easy to navigate and can you find everything you want to?
    2. Yes, but sometimes i click the sever discussion instead of the link

3. Never found any bugs

4. Do you have any comments about my decision of putting off the transfer to phpBB3?
    4. I didn't even know that In general, i dont care (never touch a running system)

The forum:
    5. Do you find the number of categories to be too little, just enough or too many?
    5. Forum is ok, i would put member server and official server discussion into one forum
    bring teh noobs in.)

6. see above

7. Do you think the site being “closed” in some areas is a good idea? If so why and if not why?
    7. if you mean that normal members cant see certain parts, then I think it is nececary (and doesnt

8. ----

General Questions:
    9. If BetaArchive were to charge a small monthly fee for access to the “closed” areas, what amount would you feel would be reasonable? (Don’t worry BA won’t be doing this any time soon! I just want your opinion!)
    9. max 5-10 $ per month (MAX)

10. No. A VIP should not be someone who has paid or posted, but someone who as earned it.

Servers:
    11. about my lines max - 330 kb/sec

12. the maximum, but browsing is still fast.

13. yes.

14. yes, because i like the stuff that is there

Admin (me):
    15. Do you like the way I run the forum, and the way I assess and dismiss member’s opinions?
    15. No, i absolutely hate you and I cant stand the way you do stuff. But now seriously, i think you do a great job here and noone could do it better
    mannaged to get a community where noone flames around

16. You help out if there are problems, you found a good way to keep the members clean, and you

17. And my bad points?
    17. ---

18. I would change the stuff of the VIP area. (and the way files are organised on the FTP)

Other Comments

None

Last edited by Ludacris on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Alrighty

The site:
    I like it, as its clean, professional, and easy on the eyes with no distracting ads

Yes, but the javascript button thingies for finding the donate information was unexpected.

Well, at school BA is blocked for games, and IE6 some times doesn't load the CSS sheet there. I'm guessing that its due to a slow connection on my end, but I'm not sure.

Hurry up :| I want PHPBB3. Or IPB, but you won't go for that either.

The forum:
    'tis fine

Clean up the server section. Theres a little too many categories

It really doesn't affect me, as I'm staff, but I think its a good idea. Closing the good parts of the site to lechers works.

N/A

General Questions:
    I donated already. Don't think you'd be getting monthly out of me :|

There is a fee? :S
Servers:
    Its pretty fast, maxes out my upload connection, uploading at about 100kb/s and downloading at 300kb/s

A lot...

Nope

Yes. Closed is better
    /me lives in USSR
Admin (me):
    No. GTFO! :P

You're a kickass admin, and you're sure dedicated to the forum. You also aren't afraid to speak your mind and defend yourself.

17. And my bad points?
    You won't get IPB.
    and you won't let me be Admin :P

I'd promote myself to a super rank, titled Forum God or something similar. I'd also upgrade to Invision Power Board 2.3.(Which I would pay for)

Other Comments
    Upgrade to IPB and I'll shut up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 pm 
FTP Access

Hope this is ok! :) -

The site:
    Maybe could do with modernising the logo a bit, though I think you did have plans to do that anyway at some point. I don't like the default icons next to sections/topics much, I preferred the ones we had when you first got this template but I think some people didn't like them so they got changed back!

Pretty much, there's quite a lot of server sections but it's ok. The FTP could be easier to navigate but you said you were working on that anyway.

The "internal server error 500" one and the "debug mode, could not insert into..." one I think both are known issues.

I don't know much about the PHPBB system but it seems to me as though the new version is more secure (important since we got hacked recently) and looks more modern.

The forum:
    About right, it used to be too many but seems better now. As I said there seem to be quite a lot of server categories but it's ok. Customisation and Custom OSes could be merged.

(See above)

Yes, we would soon get shut down if it was all open ;)

None

General Questions:
    Nothing, personally I don't think this would be a good idea

Combined with the other access routes available, yes.

Servers:
    Haven't used it for a while but I think it was several hundred KB/s.

Quite a lot

Don't think so, but don't use it that much.

Yes, see answer to Q7

Admin (me):
    Generally yes, I think you put a lot of time and effort into it :) I have sometimes thought you have been a little harsh with people but it's ok, I would tend to be reasonably harsh too I reckon and it's certainly better than when it's been allowed to get out of hand with all that nonsense that there was a few months ago with Chicago/Windows 1.01 etc (hasn't happened again for a while now so everything seems to be going well, but I think we do need to make sure that doesn't happen again) Sometimes changes aren't mentioned to us before they happen, but it's ok seeing as you're in charge!

See Q15

17. And my bad points?
    See Q15

-- [Grammar police alert!] Would tidy up the grammar on the front page and site home page (Betas shouldn't be capitalised or apostrophe-ised, I'm needs an apostrophe :P)

-- Would increase it from 10 to 25 posts for server access, there would be less spam then as it's much easier to make 10 spam posts than 25 so people would be less likely to bother. Maybe consider some way of making server membership expire after a certain period of inactivity, I thnk you did do this at one point but as far as I know it wasn't a regular thing.

-- Maybe make the site home page more exciting for new users somehow (I have the forum bookmarked instead so don't see it but it's the first page new people will see)

--Would have a VIP area of the main server with a good collection of RTM files (or just allow them on the main server, I think this rule of if it doesn't have a key it's not warez is a bit silly to be honest as a key doesn't make it more warez and a key is usually the easiest bit to find if you have the files anyway, and it means very new warez like Vista is ok but older things that need a key to install (even if a key isn't supplied?) seem to be not allowed?) and area for requesting them to be added directly to the server

--Make the screenshot gallery area easier to navigate rather than one long list with no naming pattern (eg some "Windows...", some not), maybe combine it with the Wiki.

--Would make it so the logo at the top always returns you to the main forum page, it does most o the time but on some pages eg image uploader or screenshots it doesn't. Also those pages could do with a title for the window/tab in your browser, not sure if that is possible or not.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:51 pm 
Donator

The site:
    It's hideous. Teal green never looked good. The structures fine, apart from the top links looking like hack jobs

Yes

No, but there's no quick reply, which is annoying

Yes, if it makes the site's appearance improve then putting it off is a dissapointment,

The forum:
    Just enough, I quite like the way it is now, category wise.

None

Yes. Because it helps add excitement to the place.

Newbies need to be able to see a list of things on the server, it's stupid insulting newbies for asking how to find something by saying that its on the server, while at the same time hiding what is on the server from them.

General Questions:
    $0.00 No. Never. A previous site did this, and I left.

Yes, it adds an elitist factor to the forum. Also, to quote Napolean Bonaparte "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon", the whole "BetaArchive VIP" thing for signatures is quite cool. Just don't expect to be able to put the VIP status of my site on your signature without paying me $5.

Servers:
    I'm on dialup. So 1-5kbps, I get horrible speeds while communicating with the server, incredibly slow (Nothing to do with the server)

I'm not sure.

No.

Yes. If it was opened you'd see betas on every warez site on the net.

Admin (me):
    You seem okay. I think a theme redevelopment would work well, but you seem to have put that in incompetent hands, this is the only assessment of yours that I disagree with.

Your eyes.

17. And my bad points?
    Refusal to progress the site's template past an ugly basic php theme, with a basic Vista-beta type theme

The template.

Other Comments

You're doing well :)

Last edited by Andrew on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
The site:
    i would agree with a bit of a new logo for the site, but generally i like the over all look of the site as a whole

well.... to be honest i dont find it very easy to navigate on the site which is sadly is one reason for me not being here as often...i dont like how everything seems to be displayed one page...where nuthin is split..and if i scroll down the page everything all looks the same..if that makes sense...i would like to see a wallpaper section or a section for design, where people can post there ideas or anthing relating to the topic...and maybe a monthly desktops subsection so it is seperate from everything else

not that i am aware of

um not that much of a g33k to even understand what that is....lol

The forum:
    it seems to be enough.

like i mentioned above maybe splitting things into some subsections to make things easier to find

yes i think having a seperate VIP section where one would have to gain access before being allowed there is a great idea...and it gives you the ability to control who has access

wouldnt change a thing!

General Questions:
    i think it would be an ok idea...problem is some people dont have a way of paying or have creditcards....i dont really know enough about transferring funds as i have never did it before...i do have a paypal account and use it on ebay, so um sure its the same dealy :)

no i dont think it is a good idea....some noobs do have creditcards and would be able to gain access just by paying a fee....VIP is sumthin that should be earned, not paid for..imo

Servers:
    dont have access ;(

Admin (me):
    i think you have done a great job of handling this place i have always known this place as "the place to be!" so thats sounds pretty good to me! lol

well for one i think your funny as hell....not to bad of a driver, and are doin a great job!

17. And my bad points?
    none that i know of....

um not really sure...this place seems to be a "well oiled machine" to me all it needs is a small lil overhaul and maybe a new header and a lil shine maybe...but, not too much...lol

Other Comments

you a hellova cool guy man, and um glad i have you on my msn, your doing a great job here! keep up the good work!!

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:40 am 
FTP Access

The site:
    I don't like the look at all. The green is ugly and the "technique" is very very simple (The links at the top). A better navigation pane should be included

Sometimes there are big (mostly unsorted) lists that make it hard to spot things at once

In the gallery "This is not a picture" or missing pictures but the page is so simple that there should'nt be any

Do it! Do it! Do it!

The forum:
    There should be a better separation between the single Windows versions or so, not a single forum for all but maybe for all the generations of Windows and other OSes one category.

see 5.

It's ok because many people would just *take* things without giving own knowledge as "pay"

No, it's perfect.

General Questions:
    5€ would be OK because there is a big usership and the sum would be a lot of money and remember - You get material you get almost nowhere.

Which fee?

Servers:
    Full DSL 2000 speed I have at home

Almost all but a bit remains for surfing, chatting and webradio.

Almost all. Over night for example but in normal cases a bit remains for surfing, chatting and webradio.

Yes, see 7.

Admin (me):
    Yes, you're a funny guy. Keep going!

Funny, "close to the community"

17. And my bad points?
    I've not yet encountered any :P

The webpage's theme :D

Other Comments
    There should be a lot more beta screenshots in the Gallery for example Longhorn. I could provide many if requested :)

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
The site:
    Never had any problems. I'd say it was perfectly logical, and the theme fits the subject.

Yes.

Neve have, unless my Internet connection's been dodgy.

Being the Admin of a forum, and having upgraded from phpBB2 to phpBB3, I'd say that it would be a good investment to make. However, I'd also say that each Admin has his reasons for doing the things he does.

The forum:
    Logically arranged, I'd say it was as it should be.

Not sure.

I agree, we don't want just anyone being able to get at anything they liked.

Nope.

General Questions:
    I don't know. I'd probably leave. While worth it from members' points of view, and raising the money to pay for the website's upkeep, it's always been free access, as long as the members contribute worthwhile thoughts and ideas.

Yes, but I'd still like to get in there :).

Servers:
    About 50K.

Not sure, maybe 10%.

No.

Yes, definitely.

Admin (me):
    I suppose so, but I suppose we all write things differently and have different opinions.

Not sure.

17. And my bad points?
    Not sure.

I don't like change except it's necessary.

Other Comments

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:17 am 
Donator

The site:
    It's nice and simple, however a bit bland. Since everything is blue it looks a bit monotone.

Yes, I like the main page that shows the newest topics.

No.

I didn't know you had. As an admin myself of a forum currently moving to phpBB3, the only advantages I see are for the Admin and Mods, phpBB3 offers nothing really new for users, so it doesn't really affect me.

The forum:
    It's right, although some don't get many posts.

None.

Yes, restricts access to leechers.

I would increase post count to around 50, and instead of the application stage I would create a usergroup that allows entry upon 50 posts.

General Questions:
    None, I wouldn't/couldn't pay.

Fee? I paid no fee :P Like others have said, "earning" your way into VIP should count too.

Servers:
    Around 300kb/s sometimes more.

If my connection is on a good day, half, if on a bad day, all.

Most probably.

Yes.

Admin (me):
    Yes, however I feel you are too strict on certain occasions.

Keep the forum running smoothly, keep the forum active, you're on msn a lot.

17. And my bad points?
    None really.

Upgrade to bb3, create a new theme (or two :P), and incorporate the suggestions above.

Other Comments
    Yay I finished.

:o

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:48 am 
Permanently Banned

The site:
    I've seen worse on the freewebs.com domain. Actually, about 90% of the internet is worse. So therefore, it's good

You have a few of the hardly used features (Profile, mark read) kinda hidden, but else its fine.

Uploading avatars from remote URL (NOT hotlinking).

I don't really care, but I noticed phpBB3 has an option for the user to enable/disable swear filtering, which would be nice.

The forum:
    WORKSFORME!

N/A

See #5.

N/A

General Questions:
    See #11.

It's fine by me. I don't really care about it, nor do I usually hand out money, nor will I post a millon pieces of crap to get in it.

Servers:
    Don't know, don't care.

See #11

See #11

Do I need to say it? See #11.

Admin (me):
    I don't really care.

Keeping a community alive this long.

17. And my bad points?
    Soliciting donations for your RAID array via MSN name. You remind me too much of lilo. Speaking of which, go register spinraid.com/net/org.

Put an IRC channel on some place like EFNet or IRCNet, where people actually frequent.

Other Comments

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:07 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
The site:
    1. What do you think of the website template and its structure? Colour theme, layout etc. - I personally like it, if it was ported to PHPBB3, that would be cool

Yes.

Not really

Yes, hurry up and make the theme.

The forum:
    Might I suggest shorting the Support places, to General Support.
    I would merge all the Support Forums.

I think it is a great idea.
    I believe that the VIP area should be allowed at a lower post count (500 maybe?)

General Questions:
    No, the 750 post count is enough.

Yes, it can help BA grow.

Servers:
    300~400 kbps.
    A very small amount.
    No.

Yes

Admin (me):
    I believe it is a great adminship, just keep some mods open to use (like the /me mod)

You are level-headed and you are a better admin than Kirk (OABW Admin)

17. And my bad points?
    None to my knowledge

I would overhaul the forums. New themes, New Smilies, New PHPBB3 upgrade.

Other Comments

I believe that Andy is the best Admin I have ever been under (BlueSun, Kirk, Andy, Duff) hehe.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
The site:

Yes

No

No

The forum:
    Prolly enough.

I'd rather see DOS/OS2/Windows as one category, and Unix/Linux as another.

Yes

General Questions:

Yes

Servers:
    Can't recall

Yes

Yes

Admin (me):
    Yes

17. And my bad points?

Other Comments

Still worried about people complaining about locking titles revived over a month old. You might understand that people arrive here from google, usually in the middle of a conversation. So if say, someone posts a fix like > 1 month after, it's still going to help those people.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:29 am 
Donator

The site:
    1. What do you think of the website template and its structure? Colour theme, layout etc. I think that the color scheme is a little bit bleh and boring, but the layout is darn near perfect!

I have found everything as soon as I started to look for it.

None.

Nope.

The forum:
    I think that there is just enough forum categories, but it would help to get rid a few.

Removal/Mergers of some forums.

I think it is good to keep some parts closed so that no one can come here and leech betas.

Nothing.

General Questions:
    5$ MAX

I think it is appropriate.

Servers:
    my line's top speed (80kb-85kb a second)

All.

Every time.

Yes.

Admin (me):
    15. Do you like the way I run the forum, and the way I assess and dismiss member’s opinions?Most definitley.

Your interaction with the users.

17. And my bad points?
    None

I would upgrade the forums and maybe add a new skin.

Other Comments
    BetaArchive is one of the most greatly moderated site I have ever visited.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I've prepared a threat!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:47 am 
Donator

The site:
    Nice IMO :D

I found everything I have access to...

Nope

Good move. phpBB3 is not really nice, I hate those emoticons!

The forum:
    average, maybe can be shrunk a little

merge some categories into one big categories

No and Good. No: members that want access will post craps (without reading the access rules obviously), Good: It will save BA servers from "leechers", thus keeping some interesting betas under the hood...

No idea atm...

General Questions:
    I didn't know the exact amount to charge, but what I do know, if member pays, make sure they get access to appropriate stuff they paid for...

As above, if it's worth it, then I don't mind paying as long I can get the stuff (means: no weird ssl ports etc so I can access thru standard port)

Servers:
    I don't know, it never connect successfully...

0kb?

Nope

Yes, to prevent leechers and too much bandwidth utilization...

Admin (me):
    I'm not always around, so no comments...

8-)

17. And my bad points?
    Nada

release some OLD betas to public section, maybe overhaul the forum's look etc, and owh, throw a party :evil:

Other Comments
    See above...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:40 am 
FTP Access

The site:
    A bit cliché'd with the "glass" look that other Windows-based communities use, plus the blue is becoming a bit stale. But these are trivial matters compared to the oversized logo. From day one, it has been on my Adblock filter list due to it being unnecessarily large.

Yes

None

No other than keep those spam guards working (H)

The forum:
    It's enough, but some could be consolidated

As an example stating from the previous answer, "Jokes and Funny Stuff" could be moved to "Offtopic Discussion".

Yes but there's the few that spam their way to the servers.

None

General Questions:
    There will always be a place where you can get the same thing free.

N/A because I never do that with websites I visit.

Servers:
    ~240kb/s of my 370 max

65-80%

Yes with two threads

Absolutely, see #7 but remember closed doesn't mean secure from outsiders (see MSBP's scene release of 7, assuming you were the original leaker and did not give permission)

Admin (me):
    Can't really tell but the place isn't falling apart so yes I guess.

You haven't gone insane and shut down or transfer the site to someone else (which screams FISHNET)

17. And my bad points?
    n/a

phpBB3, tweak the skin (and the logo), and various other stuff

Other Comments
    Make sure you trust that none of the staff would ever spaz out and hold the SQL database hostage like Crunchy T- err, ptcfast2 did.

Last edited by TheWahbinator on Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:46 am 
The site:
    Well, it's fine for me. I don't usually have too many comments about forum templates and structure.

Yeah, it's mostly fine for me. It's easy to navigate myself in the site.

Nope. Not yet. (Hurrah!!!)

Ummm...... Never studied about phpBB forum systems...... Will tell you if I do.

The forum:
    Nah, fine for me.

None. It's good enough for me.

NOOOOOOO!!!!! Nah, just kidding. I only said no because I don't have access to the closed areas...... I'm sure you guys have good reasons to keep those areas closed.

Ummm...... No longer closed?

General Questions:
    Well, because I'm not a rich guy, I think $3-5 is fine for me.

Well, I don't know about it, so no comments.

Servers:
    No access, oops.

No access, oops.

No access, oops.

NOOOOO...... Nah, see NO.7.

Admin (me):
    Yeah, well, never countered such situations, no comment.

Well, I see you run the community pretty well. Congratulations for that.

17. And my bad points?
    Not letting me in the Servers? :P

Get myself in the servers, and make me VIP!!!
    (Seriously, probably upgrade to the whatever phpBB3 or IPB after some research)

Other Comments
    Well, nothing special, just good job for building up such a great community!!!
    Anyway, I'm just a newbie here, and still got lots to learn.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:13 am 
The site:
    Its good, the layout is simple and straightforward.

Yea, the search function is very useful also.

Occasionally when I login firefox just hangs, but refreshing the page loads it fine. I never got this twice in a row.

I haven't been active enough to even know about this. :(

The forum:
    It looks like alot to me, but hopefully the more I come the more I'll get used to it.

I don't know, tis not like any of the topics really overlap.

Yea, active members should have a spam free haven where they can talk to each other.

It stopped me from registering the first day and downloading Windows 7. I'm glad that its in effect or I probably wouldn't come to the site much if at all. I think uploading a new beta, or one the server doesnt have, should automatically give that user access to the server.

General Questions:
    You can alternatively do a price per download. Maybe you get a credit when you upload something new. Like 1 new upload is worth 5 download credits or x months of free access. If a price was imposed, I would just try to find another private server.

Its there for members who are dedicated, not who can spend the most. Although from your view it helps pay for the site to stay online.

Servers:
    N/A

N/A

N/A

Once I get cleared for it I'll think its good since it prevents people from lurking and eating up the bandwidth, slowing active members down. Right now I don't like it since I'm not cleared.

Admin (me):
    I'll see based on how you interpret this. Hopefully I will.

Not sure, I dont know you well.

17. And my bad points?
    See 16.

First I would ban you, hehe only kidding. I find a way for new members to be able to view the contents of the server, maybe if someone is looking for a particular build and we have it, we just got a new member.

Other Comments
    Edit: Forgot to add that the wiki is weak is many places. There are some pages that merely link to 1 other page, or have half a sentence in them. Also it would be cool if in the wiki for an operating system i.e longhorn, it says if that particular build is on the server. I'm not sure how easy it is to pull up a dir of the server and find out yourself.

Thanks for reading, it took a while

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:33 am 
FTP Access

The site:
    1. What do you think of the website template and its structure? Colour theme, layout etc. I am not into eye candy and find the site is straightforward in its themes. Orobably, because of this, I find speed of access considerably quicker than other similar sites I visit.

It is easy to navigate but I think it could be useful to be able to see "subscribed threads" and "Mark all Forums read", and a "New posts" item, under one drop down menu, rather than have all vanish on logging off.
    Not so far.

None.

The forum:
    For the nature of the site - sufficient.

None.

7. Do you think the site being “closed” in some areas is a good idea? If so why and if not why? Yes.

Make the entry to the area automatic on an intelligent post count, rather then ask members to apply. Also reword it slighlty,. I get the impressioj that one must submit a Beta or two to gain admission, but I do not think this is, in fact, the case.

General Questions:
    I sincerely believe that a good percentage of members , particularly youngsters, are on the site to gain access to the closed area. To charge a fee might chase them away - or at least make them non-posters.

Don't know much about it.

Servers:
    N/A

N/A

N/A
    N/A

Admin (me):
    I feel that, on a short observation, that sometimes such closures are rather premature and too authorative.

Too new to comment much

17. And my bad points?
    Ditto

Have a search facility too show,,regardless of it being behind a closed area, what is available in that area. The search only open too registered members with a specified number of postings.

Other Comments

None

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
The site:
    The theme is good. I think a little refresh would be nice but the way it is it's still nice one.

Yes, no problems here.

Nope.

I would love to turn on my computer one morning, go to BetaArchive and see it's running on phpBB3. I hope this will happen someday. (I personaly preffer IPB but i understand it costs a lot of money and i know you don't like it :P )

The forum:
    Fits perfect.

None.

Yes.

A bit more ristrict maybe?
    *feels eyes of new members on his back*

General Questions:
    I just hope it won't ever happen but, well, if this will, it will be your decision. I don't know if i will be able to pay anything but on the other side, everything up to $8 is ok :P

Yes.

Servers:
    My maximum, i mean 5-6KB/s :P

100%, i just don't do anything else when downloading a file because if i tryed to browse sites at the same time i would wait ages for both...

Yes.

Yes.

Admin (me):
    Yes.

* Open for suggestions
    * Trying to improve the site in every possible way
    * Talking with other members just like usual member (that's really good point, i've seen some admins that seem to be too proud or something to talk normally with others :roll: )
    * Wise about running a site, phpBB forum, php scripts, servers, FTPs, etc. (i can't stand for the 13yo "greatest admins" who think they rule because they just have the forum that they haven't even seted up properly and if something fucks up they don't know what & why)

17. And my bad points?
    I can notice only one: you don't want to install any mods on the forum (not that i need any but i've seen few suggestions from other members for some mods)

I don't think i would change anything, i'm happy the way BA is running right now.
    Meh, maybe i would hurry up more with upgrade to phpBB3 but i understand - lack of time and private stuff is more important than just an IT forum.

Other Comments
    Great work on administrating and moderating the site, keep it this way :)

Last edited by fzajac on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:06 am 
Donator

The site:
    It's not exactly pretty, but it's clean and efficient.

Overall, very easy to navigate, but perhaps the links at the top of the page could be turned into Button-like images, so they stand out more.

Never.

Your forum, Your Time, Your decision.

The forum:
    This bowel of porridge is just right!

All is fine as is.

It's an exellent idea, it prevents people from taking advantage of your server, and the server's provided by other generous members.

All is fair as is.

General Questions:
    Sorry, but most people just don't have the money, or the resources to send money, I think this would cause the number of members to plummet, though it would show who is here for the "closed areas" and who is here for the discussion.

Very appropriate, it shows who is willing to contribute to the forum.

Servers:
    A solid 140-160 KB/s on a 256kbps plan.

The Majority of it.

Yes.

Yes, very much so.

Admin (me):
    Yes, you do a very fair job.

You are nice enough to not censor the words Bitch and Prick :P

17. And my bad points?
    Nothing comes to mind.

Give moderators the power to delete members.

Other Comments

You do great work Andy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:23 am 
Donator

offtopic jabster you cant get 150kb/s on a 256kbps plan. ~30kb/s max
My other comments are here because something is breaking the formatting:

*get a new theme ffs
*upgrade to phpbb3 not IPB
*Andy and moderators: :stop locking topics >1 mth old with _USEFUL INFORMATION_ its a forum rule that these topics stay _OPEN_ (I just cant get the message through)

---

The site:

Hate it, no seriously I do. Its really awful

Fairly easy, some things on the forum like mark all posts read is a pita to find

Not that I can think of

no, take your time, as long as you can find a better theme ;)

The forum:
    Too many

Delete a couple, merge some

As in like the VIP section etc? It's alright

hmm... not sure

General Questions:

Maybe $5... $10 a month

Yes it is

Servers:
    Never anymore than 25kb/s

0.83% (I'm serious, I'm on a 24mbps connection)

Oh hell no

Yes

Admin (me):
    Sometimes I guess... you know how I am, check your MSN :P

Uhh... you manage to pay the server bill with what little money you have?

17. And my bad points?
    Some things on BA are just stupid ie the stars

Get a new theme, delete the stars, remove 1 or 2 moderators, give the moderators more power (ie able to accept people into the download group etc)

Other Comments

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:33 am 
The site:

at screenshots its actually pretty hard, but in the forum itself, yes

yes, the 8) smiley is double in the smiley bar :P

well, finally youll do, i like it more than phpbb 2x

The forum:
    at servers, theyre too many

merge some server categories together

well, i dont like it that so many people come and just write 10 "thank you"'s to get access to those areas, but i dont think that you can stop that so its ok

nothing

General Questions:
    well, no, not that i wont do, but i dont have many money

yeah, its ok

Servers:
    fast, about 600 to 700 kb

about 70 or 80%

no

yes

Admin (me):
    mostly yes

well, you close "crappy" posts fast and mostly everything runs well and without spambots here, thats what i like 8)

17. And my bad points?
    i wont say here, may i get banned, but its not that much :P

i dont know

Other Comments
    /

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:47 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM | iPhone OS 3.0
The site:
    When I've discovered this website this month, in august 2008, I liked the template and color theme.
    It's a friendly website. Keep up this good work ! :wink:

I'm totally agree !
    The navigation is very easy and fast, but, sometimes, I can't find everything I want, like the games betas...

A perfect website, without any bugs ! Good work !

I don't have any comments...

The forum:
    There are enough categories...
    But, you should expand some categories, like the games betas categories... (yes, I love videos games betas ! :D )

No improvements. I think it's nice...

Oh no ! It's a very bad idea !
    The currently public areas are for the peoples who can't access to the "closed" area (like me ! :cry:).
    If some others areas being "closed", nobody would go to BETAArchive...
    Why the best betas and alphas are only for the VIP ? :cry:
    Sorry for these words !

Open the "closed" area to the public.

General Questions:
    5 € per member ?

Totally disagree ! Why nobody can download the beatas and alphas ? :cry:

Servers:
    I don't know...

I have a 2 Mbits ADSL connection, so, I don't know very well how much a single download use...
    Sorry !

I don't have an access to the BA official server.

Oh no ! Please open the BA official server !
    BETAArchive is the only place where we can find most of the existings betas and alphas !
    We want to have these files ! Please... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Admin (me):
    I'm a new member on this forum, so, I don't know very much you and the members of BETAArchive...
    But, I can see you are a very active admin ! :p

You are very active !!! Good work !
    You spend most of your free time on BETAArchive ?
    Keep up this good work ! It's a serious work !

17. And my bad points?
    I don't know you very much, so, I don't know your bad points...
    Heu... [micro-flood]Do you have bad points ?[/micro-wave, heu... micro-flood!] :D

If I could be admin of BETAArchive (of a other forum on the web), I think I'll be the God of the forum ! I'm your God, your Master ! :D
    No, seriously, I don't know what I would change... Open access to the "closed" server ?
    OK, I think I'm the only person who have this idea... :cry:

Other Comments
    Nice survey !
    Long life to BETAArchive !
    Have a nice day ! (and, of course, good luck for reading all of the replies and for administrating this website, day after day...)

8-| <--Oh ! It's Microsoft Bob !

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:12 am 
FTP Access

The site:
    It's great.

Yes.

One. Sometimes images don't appear, but it may be a browser problem.

I don't know what that is.

The forum:
    There are enough

None.

Yes, it's good idea.

None of them.

General Questions:
    $5

It's appropriate. It's called VIP group for a reason.

Servers:
    20-60kb/s

Not much.

No.

Yes.

Admin (me):
    15. Do you like the way I run the forum, and the way I assess and dismiss member’s opinions?Yes.

You find the stupid posts and keep the server\forum clean.

17. And my bad points?
    None.

I'd change me being admin for someone else :D.

Other Comments

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next