BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 14h, 36m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 5699MB of 10953MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: I got a job!        Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:48 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

I just got a job today, finally, after nearly 3 months of not having one.

Monday, I had an interview with the company so I went down at 9am and had the interview. They said expect to hear from us in about a week. Today (Wednesday) I get a phone call at 11:45am asking me if I was available to come for a second interview that afternoon, to which I said no problem. I went down and at 2.30pm I had the interview. By 3pm I had been offered a 1 month trial period (I got the job basically) on minimum wage. After 1 month I will be reviewed for my work and objectives. If I have completed them to the standard they wanted, I will get a pay rise to the normal pay amount. :)

The job is basically like my last one (if you could call that a job). I will be doing Web Design and Technical Support. The guys I'll be working with sound pretty cool and are not much older than myself either which is great. I can do everything they ask for except for Flash design, but thats not a problem since the manager of the web design team does all of that. The other guy is, what he considers a "hard core" web programmer but he said its not that bad really! He said I should expect to work overtime though which, if I need the money, will be great.

The best thing about this is that not only do I have a job that will pay me properly, but at lunch time we get to play games like CSS and Doom!!! :D The other two guys said they play quite a bit of that in their lunch hour. I will probably be checking forums and doing server stuff though but thats just me ;)

Anyway, I think thats all you need to know for now but I'll let you guys know how I get on. I start tomorrow by the way ;) Quick start I know but that shows they were keen to have me in the company. I hope that sticks and I can show them what I know.

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
I hope it works all out for you :D.

You said that you did this sort of stuff on your old job, so i think after this month you will get that pay increase.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:03 pm 
Donator

Congratulations Andy

Way to go on landing a job you like.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I got a job!        Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Andy wrote:
Hello all,
The best thing about this is that not only do I have a job that will pay me properly, but at lunch time we get to play games like CSS and Doom!!! :D The other two guys said they play quite a bit of that in their lunch hour. I will probably be checking forums and doing server stuff though but thats just me ;)
Andy (Admin)

Now that's a job....congratulations Andy :-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:05 pm 
Donator

Congratulations! Its always nice to have a great job where you get to do whatever you want during lunch... :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Sounds like a fun job :D
Congrats!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:22 pm 
FTP Access

congratulations and good luck with the job :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:49 am 
FTP Access

Sounds like a great job, good luck with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:10 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
You won't even entertain us with your salary?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:04 am 
Donator

Congrats :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
Congrats Andy.

/me is still waiting to hear back from places since my job "should" end in August.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:25 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Congratulations :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:41 am 
Donator

Congratulations Andy :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Yeah, congratulations :)
You got much luck, not everyone can have a job that he like.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:56 pm 
Staff

Congrats.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Congratulations!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:53 pm 
Donator

Congrats - hope yo uget the pay rise ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
My regards to your good fortune, Andy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:21 am 
FTP Access

Congrats Andy :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:03 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
A little problem has cropped up regarding this new job... Let me explain...

On Monday, at the end of the working day (5pm) I was called into the office for a little chat with one of the "Boss" people. Not big boss, but a boss non the less. She told me that the two guys I was working with, the guys who were showing me how to do my job etc so on so forth, were going away for a 2 week holiday. This would leave me alone in the office to do the work with no help and no support. Now because I had just started, the boss thought that it would be unfair on throwing me in at the deep end and trying to stick it out on my own for 2 weeks. Because of this, she decided it would be better if I were to take the 2 weeks off also (without pay, I might add) and come back when the other two guys return.

Now, in this little chat she mentioned that she had been checking up on the work I was doing and it was very un-satisfactory. E.G. no where near what she would expect from someone working at the company. So her conclusion to that was I was struggling with the job. And she wasn't wrong. I got this job because the job description was "Web Designer and Technical Support", two things I LOVE doing. My previous job was doing this and I loved it until the boss screwed himself over and I ended up resigning. But anyway what I was doing on this job was way out of the job description. I was being asked to make "e-shots", newsletter type e-mail templates in HTML. Sure, I could do this no problem, no complaints there. But I was also being asked to design and fill with content a brochure for the company using software (Adobe InDesign) that I had never used in my life. I was expected to know how to use it and make professional looking brochures with it from a badly printed word document as a guide. Now I don't know about you but that is definitely way out of my job description as a web designer and technical support engineer. However, I persisted, and after many "tellings off" and comments from the guys I work with, they finally got something they were "happy" with. Not ecstatic, just happy with.

Anyway, trying to cut a long story short, I came home on Monday with 2 weeks off in front of me trying to decide what I should do. I phoned my dad on the way home and explained everything. He thought the decision was very unprofessional and they should have known what they were getting themselves into. From what we can both gather, they were attempting to employ me as quickly as possible to take over the role of the two guys going on holiday for 2 weeks so there was no disruption. Not a fat chance in hell was that ever going to happen. Not only could I not do the work I was given, but I didn't know how the company worked, I didn't know what the abbreviations meant that they kept using relating to companies/clients, and I didn't even know that many people there, probably 3 or 4 people at most. All of that would have meant I would be in the dark as soon as they left. I wouldn't have been able to do the work they had left me because I wouldn't know what it was.

Anyway, basically the job simply wasn't right for me. I decided that and told my dad who partly agreed with me but also said I should try and stick it out and see what happens, at least until I find another job. I disagreed for several reasons. There is no point in me going to do a job I cannot physically do and I have no way to learn. I wanted the job because it offered what I could do and what I wanted to do, not because I wanted to do something completely different away from my ability. If I knew I was going to be doing brochure designing instead of web design and tech support I wouldn't have signed up for the job. Its as simple as that. Apart from the fact its costing me £5 a day in fuel to get there and back (almost 45 miles a day total), I just don't have the money to "waste" on going to a job with no future for me. £5 a day ends up being 15% of my total wages a month just getting to and from the job.

Anyhow, I was at the job center today and explained the situation, and they agreed it was the right decision not to continue with the job if I couldn't do it and/or wouldn't enjoy it. Next week I need to ring the boss up and tell her I won't be returning because of the situation above. I already explained it earlier this week and she said she understood but wanted to give me every opportunity possible, but would understand if I wanted to leave.

So all in all, the situation isn't that bad, but the only downside to it all is I now don't have a job and I'm back to square one finding one. However I am having more luck finding jobs I can do and would like to do so I am going to stick at it and continue looking and sending off CV's.

Sorry this was such a bloody long post but it gets the full story across!

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]