BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 35d, 1h, 0m | CPU: 9% | MEM: 5817MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:05 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
hounsell wrote:
I like Vista SP1. I recently came to reinstalling my PC's OS, and I thought I'd try a number of alternatives. I tried OSx86, I tried a number of Linux Distros. But ultimately, I went with a Vista SP1 single-boot. Why? Because unlike no other OS for PC, it 'just works' and it does work well. I've not had a blue screen since December when I played with 3718 and DCE on a real PC.

Same as me. Since I got it I have had one BSOD, caused by something I did to it (can't remember what now) but its never done it since. SP1 makes one hell of a difference though thats for sure. And I agree with the "just works" comment. When I had a Mac, it worked for the most part but whenever I wanted to do something special, it just didn't want to play. I was much more comfortable with Windows, which is one of the reasons I got rid of it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Lol i havent updated my vista since i installed in midway through 07. Its just ran fine for me. All i got its a Pentium D 2.8ghz and 1 gb of ram. Ive had one BSOD when i tried running 4 games at once and overloaded it lol.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:00 pm 
FTP Access

Has this Thread heading changed? Seems quite a bit off topic for some time now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:54 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
When I had a Mac, it worked for the most part but whenever I wanted to do something special, it just didn't want to play.

What do you mean by "special" things? I've got Leopard on my PC now and it "just works" (pretty much everything on it works perfectly) even though it's not a Mac! I just think it feels a really well polished OS that is really enjoyable (and fun) to use, while Vista always feels a little buggy and dull in comparison, even old-fashioned when I go straight from leopard to Vista on the same PC! All the software for it is really cool too, especially all the Apple programs (iLife, Aperture, Logic etc) that you can't get on Windows. Anyway, that's just me, this and Tiger on my real Mac have really got me into OS X even though I've used Windows for longer :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:06 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Andy wrote:
When I had a Mac, it worked for the most part but whenever I wanted to do something special, it just didn't want to play.

What do you mean by "special" things? I've got Leopard on my PC now and it "just works" (pretty much everything on it works perfectly) even though it's not a Mac! I just think it feels a really well polished OS that is really enjoyable (and fun) to use, while Vista always feels a little buggy and dull in comparison, even old-fashioned when I go straight from leopard to Vista on the same PC! All the software for it is really cool too, especially all the Apple programs (iLife, Aperture, Logic etc) that you can't get on Windows. Anyway, that's just me, this and Tiger on my real Mac have really got me into OS X even though I've used Windows for longer :)

Special as in running programs not native to Mac OS X... E.G. Office...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:48 pm 
FTP Access

Mac Office 2008 works fine for me :S What do you mean by not "native"? - all Mac software is native to the OS, whether or not it's written by Apple.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:56 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Mac Office 2008 works fine for me :S What do you mean by not "native"? - all Mac software is native to the OS, whether or not it's written by Apple.

By native I meant written specifically for mac, not ported, like office is. Its not rewritten completely for mac, its simply ported, like a linux port of a program to windows. Because of this I lost my faith in macs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:07 pm 
FTP Access

I don't think the Mac Office is especially "ported" from the Windows one, the Mac team at MS has always been separate to those who write the Windows side. Some of the Office programs actually came out on Mac several years before they were made for Windows too. What was the problem you had with it anyway? I'm not criticising you or anything, I'm just not sure you gave OS X enough of a chance and can't understand how your experience could have been so different to mine when you actually had the system it was designed to run on and I don't!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:21 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I don't think the Mac Office is especially "ported" from the Windows one, the Mac team at MS has always been separate to those who write the Windows side. Some of the Office programs actually came out on Mac several years before they were made for Windows too. What was the problem you had with it anyway? I'm not criticising you or anything, I'm just not sure you gave OS X enough of a chance and can't understand how your experience could have been so different to mine when you actually had the system it was designed to run on and I don't!

The problems? Well where shall I begin...

1. Consistent system lockups for no reason; The system would fail to respond to anything for up to a minute at a time, then suddenly spring back to life as if nothing had happened.

2. Slow programs; Office for one. It would take about 2 minutes to load, and then a further 2 minutes before you could type anything, let alone random lockups. The same with Photoshop.

3. Boot camp completely refusing point blank to run Windows. I must have tried on no less than 30 occasions to get it working. It worked once but then failed with a BSOD after a reboot, never to work again. It was always HAL.DLL the BSOD referred to.

However, I did like some features of the mac:

1. Its very intelligent two finger scroll system. I loved it. I want that as standard on all my laptops!

2. The print screen that snapshots straight to the desktop with no external program needed.

3. The supreme battery life. I managed 5.2hours once.

4. Seamless program installation. A must for any operating system.

Unfortunately you can't have everything in one package, so it seems.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:52 pm 
FTP Access

I think your Mac must have been faulty then (or could have needed a fresh OS installation, though the HAL thing is a very strong suggestion of hardware problems if it's a known-good Windows disc), my Leopard has not crashed once and is always super-smooth (very rarely see the spinning beachball) and Office and CS3 take a few seconds to load (10 seconds or so I think), and that's on a homebuilt PC that's not even meant to work at all with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:54 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I think your Mac must have been faulty then (or could have needed a fresh OS installation, though the HAL thing is a very strong suggestion of hardware problems if it's a known-good Windows disc), my Leopard has not crashed once and is always super-smooth (very rarely see the spinning beachball) and Office and CS3 take a few seconds to load (10 seconds or so I think), and that's on a homebuilt PC that's not even meant to work at all with it.

You could be right, but who knows. I'm going to try OSx86 soon anyway. The hardware I have is better than the mac I had anyway so we shall see...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:16 pm 
FTP Access

I thunk that the people with the betas feel special and they can teel everyone they know that "I have whatever beta."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
As mentioned before, I think it's not an issue if you want to keep something unleaked for personal reasons.

However, I'd like to add, that if you plan to do that, and can't share any useful information/screenshots about the build, do everyone a favour and keep it to yourself. People who tease people with builds, or screenshots of the ISOs, etc, are just asking for all the hatred they get. A lot of people do share useful information, like Grabberslasher with UXUnleaked. Others do generally keep things to themselves, but please, if you have something unleaked, and you can't share any information that hasn't been shared, or provide screenshots that show something genuinely new, don't bother to boast to those around you. It's that sort of people that attract all the negativity attached to people with unleaked stuff.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:05 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Andy, actually, Microsoft Office was once a Mac-exclusive back in the 80s, but in 1990, Microsoft ported Office to the Windows platform. So Technically, MS Office isnt a native Windows app. it is a native Mac app ported to Windows. :-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:09 pm 
Donator

hounsell wrote:
if you have something unleaked, and you can't share any information that hasn't been shared, or provide screenshots that show something genuinely new, don't bother to boast to those around you.

this should be a new rule here on BA. And doing this should result in a warning and when repeating this it should result in a ban!

If you can't talk about it shut up!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
WildEye001 wrote:
Andy, actually, Microsoft Office was once a Mac-exclusive back in the 80s, but in 1990, Microsoft ported Office to the Windows platform. So Technically, MS Office isnt a native Windows app. it is a native Mac app ported to Windows. :-)

Maybe we should get ontopic here eh? :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:46 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
3. Boot camp completely refusing point blank to run Windows. I must have tried on no less than 30 occasions to get it working. It worked once but then failed with a BSOD after a reboot, never to work again. It was always HAL.DLL the BSOD referred to.

Which version of Boot Camp did you use? If you used a beta on Tiger, you're not supposed to format the drive during the Windows install.

If you used the Leopard Boot Camp, you are supposed to format the drive. Confusing, I know, but I had the same issue once upon a time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:09 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
mdogg wrote:
Andy wrote:

Which version of Boot Camp did you use? If you used a beta on Tiger, you're not supposed to format the drive during the Windows install.

If you used the Leopard Boot Camp, you are supposed to format the drive. Confusing, I know, but I had the same issue once upon a time.

Leopard. I DID format it with the Windows formatting tool. Same problem. It worked once but kept BSOD'ing whenever I tried to install the Mac drivers and tools.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:14 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
mdogg wrote:
Andy wrote:

Leopard. I DID format it with the Windows formatting tool. Same problem. It worked once but kept BSOD'ing whenever I tried to install the Mac drivers and tools.

Did you format it as NTFS or FAT?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:16 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
mdogg wrote:
Andy wrote:
mdogg wrote:
Andy wrote:

Did you format it as NTFS or FAT?

I tried both. Got the same result.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:26 am 
Donator

Totally off topic lol

Did you get the right drivers?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:51 am 
Donator

XDude wrote:
Totally off topic lol

You don't need drivers to get it installed. Only for after the installation for graphics, audio, ethernet, wireless, bluetooth, etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:36 pm 
FTP Access

WildEye001 wrote:

Not correct. Microsoft Word was "invented" in 1983. Undoubtably written by Microsoft. As there was then no such program as "Office" or "Windows", it was ported with a bundle which, I think I remember (Yes- I was actually using it together with the dos word processor - Wordstar), included DBase4.
Later in the eighties, Windows came along and the primaries of the package we know today as Microsoft Office was introduced for Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:59 pm 
Donator

mdogg wrote:
XDude wrote:
Totally off topic lol

You don't need drivers to get it installed. Only for after the installation for graphics, audio, ethernet, wireless, bluetooth, etc.

I know, from I see, he means after the installation, if he tries to install the drivers, he gets BSOD'd

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:09 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
XDude wrote:
mdogg wrote:
XDude wrote:
Totally off topic lol

I know, from I see, he means after the installation, if he tries to install the drivers, he gets BSOD'd

The drivers were from the Mac disk, so yes, they were correct.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next