The update to phpBB3

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
Andy
Administrator

The update to phpBB3

Post by Andy »

Hello all,

Myself and a member of the forum (Neological) have begun work on the phpBB3 template which will be used when we convert to phpBB3, hopefully in around a months time. Since the template currently used cannot be ported over to phpBB3, we are redesigning it ourselves as close as possible to the current template. Now I know not everyone likes this template, but the majority do.

We will be modernising the top of the site with a new logo and navigation setup, but it will be much more elegant than the plain text setup at the moment. The same information will be displayed, and possibly even some extra if I can get the coding to work for it (wish me luck on that one!).

Along with this update (well, before actually), Neological and mrpijey will become moderators of the forum, in effect almost immediately. This is a decision that has been agreed by the current moderators and myself.

Also coming with this update, if it is done on time, will be an update to the FTP servers and the way the beta's are laid out. Also, a lot of the builds will be repacked, renamed and parity data included to aid recovery in case of corruption. This is being done by mrpijey in his spare time, so all credit to him for this very time consuming work.

I'll see if I can get you all some nice sneaky previews as the development goes on. We already have a beta of the top of the site but its still being fiddled with so I won't give that away just yet.

Of course we're open to suggestions and comments so if you have any, please fire away.

Andy (Admin)

Rob Jansen
Donator

Re: The update to phpBB3

Post by Rob Jansen »

Andy wrote:The same information will be displayed, and possibly even some extra if I can get the coding to work for it (wish me luck on that one!).

I'll see if I can get you all some nice sneaky previews as the development goes on.
Andy (Admin)
Well good luck with the coding then.
And when a screenshot comes avaible, then i would like to see it, i thinks that i will look great.

Keep up the great work!.

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Good idea
Go for it!

Daniel
Staff

Post by Daniel »

Great news!

But what do you think of something like a "logo-contest", I mean everyone who wants creates a new Logo for BetaArchive and the best one is the "winner", our new logo...

Pureelite
Donator

Post by Pureelite »

D.Konieczny wrote:Great news!

But what do you think of something like a "logo-contest", I mean everyone who wants creates a new Logo for BetaArchive and the best one is the "winner", our new logo...
Thats a good idea, but if the logo was anymore complicated the loading time might increase on the new theme, the logo is requested many times within the site, so depending on colours ect.... it would work. The new theme is very messy at the moment. I have only just started work on it.

I think you guys are going to love this update

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Sounds great! Can't wait for the new design... (have seen some sneek peeks hehehehe)....

Now listen up minions.... errr....

I thank Andy for the opportunity to be part of the daily run of BA and hope I can do something more here than share my terabytes .
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

D.Konieczny wrote:Great news!

No we're not doing that. The design is going to be by Neological and Myself, but you can feel free to suggest ideas.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Woop! At last

Still, I have no doubt it will be excellent, and I'm sure it will bring the forum feel right up to date

Now I just have to promise Jake enough stuff to get a sneak preview

I'm looking forward to the new forum and FTP server

dj_cityboy
FTP Access

Post by dj_cityboy »

nice man....i cant wait to see the changes that are goin to be implemented...and if anyone needs any help with graphics or anything, i am more then willing to lend some assistance!!

and congrats to Jake for the new position!!!

this is goin to be the best spring spruce up...

peas
cityboy

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Any demo? I want to have a peep

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Toshua123 wrote:Any demo? I want to have a peep
We only started yesterday so no. I'll give a demo when we have it, however it'll most likely be screenshots only.

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Ok, thanks.

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

I have talked to mrpijey and I am going to help him with the stuff

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Ludacris wrote:I have talked to mrpijey and I am going to help him with the stuff
Sounds good to me. I know you have good relations already so this will only boost that.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

For some reason I have a feeling mrpijey became moderator due to his server

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

happy dude wrote:For some reason I have a feeling mrpijey became moderator due to his server
Nope, it was his dedication to the site that got him the position and also his maturity and the ability to help difuse bad situations.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

BetaArchive 2.0? It sounds good.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

merty
FTP Access

Post by merty »

Andy: Out of interest, will you publicly release the theme when your done, or will the theme be only exclusive to BetaArchive?

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

I think only to betaarchive, since there making it theirselfs.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The theme is being custom made for Beta Archive only. It will not be publicly released.

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

I think that is good