BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 42d, 3h, 10m | CPU: 77% | MEM: 5860MB of 11997MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:39 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hi all

You may have noticed the site going down frequently recently. It looks like we've been under random DNS DDoS attacks for a few weeks now. Hetzner's DDoS protection was doing an OK-ish job at protecting the server but it wasn't quite enough. The initial influx of the attack made it to the server, overwhelming it and knocking it offline. Their reports tell us that it's frequently 30Gbps or more hitting us each time for just a few minutes before their protection kicks in.

We have no idea why we've been targeted but I suspect it's just random, and I had no way to stop it. I tried quite a lot of things to no avail.

In the end I decided to switch us over to Cloudflare for DNS and HTTP routing to see if this helps. If it does, we'll continue to use the service.

If you spot any oddities, please let me know so I can investigate and fix.

Thanks

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
Maybe not on topic but, the ftp servers page gives me the wrong ip address for the download area, I mean, it uses a IP address that's not mine.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:50 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Thanks. That's an issue with the caching/proxy setup. It should be resolved now.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Andy, do you think we're getting DDoS'd because of that fake 32TB Windows 10 Leak? Because I think we are.

Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Me:
https://mega.nz/#!q7oR0LKK!8QRZVYNDIbKu ... FGxfHCvZho

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 pm 
Donator

SuperThecomputergeek wrote:
Andy, do you think we're getting DDoS'd because of that fake 32TB Windows 10 Leak? Because I think we are.

And who would DDoS us? Microsoft? I don't think that's the case. Especially because this cause is almost two months old by now...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AlphaBeta wrote:
SuperThecomputergeek wrote:

And who would DDoS us? Microsoft? I don't think that's the case. Especially because this cause is almost two months old by now...

What I'm trying to say is that some random stranger could have found that recently, neglected to look at the date the articles were posted and decided to DDoS us.

Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Me:
https://mega.nz/#!q7oR0LKK!8QRZVYNDIbKu ... FGxfHCvZho

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:04 pm 
Administrator

Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time... I think this theory is much more plausable. Yes, that must be it.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
AlphaBeta wrote:
And who would DDoS us? Microsoft?

Friggen skids... knew they were up to no good.
Anyway, cloudfare should work fairly well. My company uses it and we've prevented a few takedowns using their service.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 am 
Donator

Not sure if thats related to the switch to Cloudflare but the forum is way more responsive (faster) than before to me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Probably a placebo effect. The site is no quicker or slower. Cloudflare are only handling DNS now (caching was causing issues).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 am 
Seems a tad faster as well (at least from the US east coast). Even after clearing the browser cache and cookie data.

EDIT: My ISP is Optimum. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Last edited by TuneableSumo876 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:14 am 
Donator

likely boils down to the dns resolver and how fast the domain lookup to ip takes....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 SP1 (7601)
It feels like it takes longer to resolve over on the US west coast. I have low ping to both my DNS server, and the closest "CloudFlare server farm". I also occasionally will get a Chrome "this page can't be loaded" error, that never happened before.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:51 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
The can't load error will happen during a ddos. The DNS resolution should be quick, so I'd blame that on your ISP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 SP1 (7601)
I'm using Google's DNS servers, and not AT&T's dreadful DNS servers. I also use a pfSense box as a router, so the IP for BA is cached locally.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time... I think this theory is much more plausable. Yes, that must be it.

Or, even more likely, some 12-year old kid got mad that his FTP application was rejected, and then decided to DDoS us. That's far more likely.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:41 am 
Donator

whistler2250 wrote:
mrpijey wrote:

Or, even more likely, some 12-year old kid got mad that his FTP application was rejected, and then decided to DDoS us. That's far more likely.

Using the "UBER DDOS ATTACC 500 GBIT/S 100% LEGIT NO SCAM NO VIRUS" tool I am pretty sure.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
AlphaBeta wrote:
whistler2250 wrote:
mrpijey wrote:

Using the "UBER DDOS ATTACC 500 GBIT/S 100% LEGIT NO SCAM NO VIRUS" tool I am pretty sure.

Hence why it wasn't as effective as it could have been.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:57 am 
To be serious, why don't you just check the IP access logs and ban the IPs it came from for a while?

Last edited by TuneableSumo876 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 SP1 (7601)
TuneableSumo876 wrote:
To be serious, why don't you just check the IP access logs and ban the IP it came from for a while?

It's typically significantly more than just 1 IP address that would be attacking the site at once. Hence the name, DDoS (distributed denial-of-service attack).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:41 pm 
DarkenMoon wrote:
TuneableSumo876 wrote:
To be serious, why don't you just check the IP access logs and ban the IP it came from for a while?

It's typically significantly more than just 1 IP address that would be attacking the site at once. Hence the name, DDoS (distributed denial-of-service attack).

Ah, noticed my typo there. I was going to say IPs.

PostPost subject: Re: Switch to Cloudflare        Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:45 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
The problem is that we have no external firewall so we're restricted to the software firewall. The attacks need to be stopped before the server, not at the server, otherwise it defeats the point. Unfortunately an external firewall is prohibitively expensive unless people give larger regular donations to keep the site up.

Top  Profile  WWW