BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 14h, 3m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 2008MB of 5073MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:55 pm 
Administrator

To make it easier for everyone I've merged several guides and also updated a few into a single thread called The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive. Be sure to check it out before preparing or uploading a release.

I will update the guide over time with new info and updates.At the end there's also a user Q&A I will populate once the questions starts rolling in. The guide will be linked to in my signature as well as in all important posts.

Worth of note is an updated scanning guide as well as an updated Alcohol 120% dumping guide.

If you got any questions or comments about it let me know.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Hypothetically speaking: If a user who strictly used Linux were to offer a CD-based piece of abandonware to the site, how would the user dump it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
MrFreeman wrote:
Hypothetically speaking: If a user who strictly used Linux were to offer a CD-based piece of abandonware to the site, how would the user dump it?

I believe the same thing is true with OS X users, which may make up a sizable portion of this forum's members.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:44 pm 

DiskingRound wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:

I believe the same thing is true with OS X users, which may make up a sizable portion of this forum's members.

I would assume 'dd if=/dev/cdrom of=Image.iso' where /dev/cdrom is replaced with the appropriate raw device.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:43 pm 
Donator

That isn't up to BA archival standards...

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:30 pm 

Wheatley wrote:
That isn't up to BA archival standards...

Assuming you're referring to my suggestion about using dd...

That is the way I've previously made images of CDs and DVDs on Unix based systems, and they've always produced accurate .ISO images.

I see that there is a suggestion on the Mac to use Disk Utility in a specific manner which is approved. I believe (but would need to verify) that the result for the suggested Disk Utility approach would be identical to my suggestion for using dd.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:49 pm 
Administrator

dd images are just like .ISO images, which for preservation purposes is useless really. What you need is software that preserves more than that, subchannel data and a cuesheet. For this dd is inadequate which is why we won't accept regular ISOs. So dd may create accurate ISOs, but since we don't want ISO files it's irrelevant. If you want to share ISO files here you can do that, but they won't be added to the FTP unless they come in a format suitable for preservation.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:36 pm 

This states:

Code:
Dump the media using proper software and hardware.

For optical media only Alcohol120% or CloneCD (Windows) or Daemon Tools or Disk Utility (OS X) are allowed.

So exactly how are you suggesting the Mac Disk Utility be used so as to generate an acceptable result?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:13 pm 
Administrator

Because Disk Utility can include all sessions and checksum it all to make sure it's proper. Sure it won't include the metadata and subchannel data... Or you just grab a free Windows ISO from Microsoft, get Virtualbox, install it and use our portable A120. Won't cost you a dime and it will make a perfect dump every time.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 pm 
FTP Access

I think this 'guide' is a clutter of posts.
I feel that it is a better idea to merge and consolidate the relevant information in a major section of the wiki and then simply link to the wiki itself.

Putting reference information in a series of posts just looks strange and ugly , and it also undermines the purpose of the Wiki , in my opinion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive        Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:22 pm 
Administrator

Normally I would agree, but the wiki as a whole is quite neglected and the primary focus has always been the forum itself. But yes, the wiki would be a better way to store these guides. This however is the only decent way of doing it right now since one can't make links to within a post, only to a post itself so it had to be done this way.

The idea for the future is actually to create a dedicated site page for these guides and remove them from the forum, but since we don't have a proper site yet the forum had to do.

Top  Profile  WWW