BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 13h, 38m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 2021MB of 4721MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Changes in contribution guidelines        Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:02 pm 
Administrator

Hello all!

As of today we will no longer accept any OEM recovery/restore/backup titles as contributions for the FTP archive. I made this decision based on the fact that the value of these titles are little to none as these recovery discs were aimed towards a specific computer brand and model with little unique value in them to merit the storage requirements. Many of these discs are regular (but modified) MSDN titles custom designed (with extra drivers and software) for that particular model of computer. The release were taking up a significant amount of space and with the amount of brands and models on the market it would require a tenfold of the available archive size just for the storage of recovery discs that no one would be interested in. It's just not worth saving these, and are only useful for those members owning that particular brand and model.

The \(Misc) Recovery Media\PC has been deleted from the FTP and for preservation purposes been donated to the Internet Archive. I will not make any further efforts into updating this archive with any new titles. Any members wishing to donate their recovery discs can still do so through an offer on the forum (standard abandonware regulations still apply!), but any uploads to the FTP will be deleted without any notice.

The remaining non-PC recovery discs will be moved into more appropriate sections in the near future.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Changes in contribution guidelines        Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
As far as the Macintosh restore CDs go, a distinction should still be made between full Apple Restore CDs and standard CDs/DVDs that are hardcoded to install on a particular Mac model. Since the hardcoded ones are plain OS discs for the most part, they're fine in \(Abandonware) Operating Systems\Apple Macintosh as there are now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Changes in contribution guidelines        Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2
Is a link to their location on the Internet Archive available?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Changes in contribution guidelines        Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 3.1 - 5.1
dsdude123 wrote:
Is a link to their location on the Internet Archive available?

It is at https://archive.org/details/BetaArchive_PC_OS_Recovery_Archive for a list or https://archive.org/download/BetaArchive_PC_OS_Recovery_Archive/ for a ftp-like directory/file view

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Changes in contribution guidelines        Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
I think this is a good decision. After all, I'm pretty sure most people on this forum have these disks for their modern PC. I wonder what you'll do with the other disks though?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Changes in contribution guidelines        Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:02 pm 
Administrator

What other discs? The Mac stuff?

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Changes in contribution guidelines        Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
Goldfish64 wrote:
As far as the Macintosh restore CDs go, a distinction should still be made between full Apple Restore CDs and standard CDs/DVDs that are hardcoded to install on a particular Mac model. Since the hardcoded ones are plain OS discs for the most part, they're fine in \(Abandonware) Operating Systems\Apple Macintosh as there are now.

I guess that's a fine idea, I know for some Mac models, The restore discs are the only way to get certain OS versions running on models newer than the OS it came with, This was the case on Early Intel Models with OS X 10.4 and on some later G4 and Snow G3 Models with OS 9.2.2.

As far as PC Restore Discs go, I agree that those don't really have a place here since I'm more inclined to use a standard Windows CD with the key on the case as opposed to using a restore disc to deal with the bloatware they can have inside.

Plus, They're locked to the model it was intended to be installed on, Which can cause issues by let's say someone had an eMachines eTower 533ix and tried using a disc for a 366i2 model, It could halt into realizing that it's being installed on the wrong system. So there's my positive opinion on this move.

Top  Profile