BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 5h, 46m | CPU: 7% | MEM: 2637MB of 4281MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:13 pm 
Administrator

We've made some changes to how the BetaArchive server talks to the file server (remember, they are in two different countries) which has some positive and negative sides.

The positive sides is that it should be a lot more stable now and it also gives us a lot of options for the future when it comes to changes. Since the main server now talks directly to the file server through a VPN we can monitor everything much more closely now and also work towards a proper database connection.

The negative side is that navigating the FTP is a bit slower. Since the VPN connection (and the SMB protocol it uses to talk to the file server) is a lot slower than pure FTP traffic navigating the large folders can take time, up to 10 seconds. So when you navigate the tree there will be delays, so be sure to not have a too short timeout setting in your clients otherwise it will disconnect before it lists the files. And if you can enable caching then do it as well, it should improve navigation.

We will work towards a new way of sharing these files and eventually abandon FTP alltogether, but for now this is what we can do since the old solution failed in the end. And as always, suggestions are welcome but remember that we won't share the files completely openly so we need a solution that can manage the connection as well as files. Torrents are out of the question, so is FTP in the long run.

Please report any issues in the proper forum but remember, increase your connection timeout in the client and be patient.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:05 pm 
FTP Access

I've turned off the timeout in FileZilla off a few days ago anyway because of the timeout issues

how is this going to affect the regular download speed though?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:14 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Download speed should not be affected. It seems to give me approximately 6MB/s without a hitch which I'd consider pretty quick.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:30 pm 
Administrator

During the next few days we'll monitor the FTP and how well it performs, so don't be alarmed if it goes down as we may have to restart services to tweak settings etc. But overall the VPN connection seems stable and speeds are good enough for the majority of the members.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 and Longhorn 4074
I'm curious. What was the old way of handling these connections?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:53 pm 
Administrator

Ye olde way:

Client <-- BA server FTP <---SSL FTP LINK---> File server FTP

The new way:

Client <-- BA server FTP <---SSL VPN LINK---> File server SMB share

I hope it illustrates it well :).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Basically everything goes through a VPN now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:05 am 
Administrator

No, since the user end is still FTP. But the traffic between the servers has been replaced with a VPN.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 - Windows 98 SE
Quote:
The negative side is that navigating the FTP is a bit slower. Since the VPN connection (and the SMB protocol it uses to talk to the file server) is a lot slower than pure FTP traffic navigating the large folders can take time, up to 10 seconds. So when you navigate the tree there will be delays, so be sure to not have a too short timeout setting in your clients otherwise it will disconnect before it lists the files. And if you can enable caching then do it as well, it should improve navigation.

On my own end, there's no sensible slow-down. Either way, a navigation slow-down isn't such a pain, as long as I'm able to download at the same speeds as before the incident occurred.

As always, BetaArchive stays strong!

Win7

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Perhaps there's a couple of seconds slowdown with large folders, as said in the OP, but other than that, no notable differences (as expected).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:34 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
1. Nice, the FTP should be more stable now.

2. And in Win7's post above, we have another occurrence of a phpBB-generated BBCode UID being caught by the forum's swear filter and therefore making the post look weird.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:35 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Battler wrote:
2. And in Win7's post above, we have another occurrence of a phpBB-generated BBCode UID being caught by the forum's swear filter and therefore making the post look weird.

Could you elaborate on the cause of this issue? I was confused about what was causing it earlier.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:49 pm 
VIP

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Andy wrote:
Battler wrote:

Could you elaborate on the cause of this issue? I was confused about what was causing it earlier.

Apparently the spam filter sees "mrpijey" as a swear word now ;-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:55 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I don't think it does since it works for you right now. Plus when I edit the post the quote has no username in it... That's what confused me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 - Windows 98 SE
Darkstar wrote:
Apparently the spam filter sees "mrpijey" as a swear word now ;-)

Should it be true (but then we should open a new thread about this) then I'm going to write mrpijey here.

Win7

EDIT: Seems definitely fixed. Sorry for going off-topic... :$

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!        Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
Thanks for all you guys do. You truly are the best :)

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjxC-IInPrC1dNISF8ZQ

Top  Profile  WWW