BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 75d, 14h, 1m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 6513MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:00 pm 
Administrator

To all members... check your uploads!

I've written a guideline on uploading, and the contribution guidelines clearly states what you need to do to get your uploads accepted. I don't have the time to do a thorough research for every oddly named zip or rar file (what's pcanywhere.rar? What version? Language? Year?) or PM you for a better scan, checksum file or whatever, so from now on I will discard anything not properly labeled and archived. If you send up an ISO, MDF, CCD, whatever, that doesn't come with a full checksum file of all uploaded files or (better) packed up in a rar or 7z then I will automatically ignore and discard it. If you upload any badly cropped, compressed or resized scans I will automatically delete these.

I have a 1.5TB drive now (with about 300GB free) which is filled with uploads that are not processed because they weren't labeled properly, or packed up properly, or duplicates that need testing. I am processing these folders as quickly as I can, but any uploads that are proper right from the start will get absolute priority. Why? Because they are the easiest to process and gets out to the members immediately. The rest will be put on this drive until I have the time and will to thoroughly check and test it.

I don't want to sound unfriendly or ungrateful, but all of this processing takes a lot of my personal time. Spending two hours processing a well scanned manual and CD cover is far more worth to me and the community than spending the same two hours googling for info and testing out an unverified ISO or floppy image. And of course there are time restrictions, I don't always have the time to process a lot so some larger uploads takes longer. But in these situations it's extra important that your uploads are properly dumped, labeled and tagged. The less time I need to spend on each upload the quicker it gets out onto the FTP!

As for contributions made towards FTP access, it's quite simple: If you don't want to take the time to read and follow the instructions given to provide a proper dump and scan, then we won't take the time to grant you access to the FTP. If the simplest tasks are too hard for you then this community is not for you. We're not giving away all our hard work if you don't want to make an effort yourself.

Thanks to all members that have understood this and contributed to this community! I hope you all enjoy our latest releases, the releases made by marcoguy and jagotu is exactly the kind of releases we want to see here. Well dumped, well scanned, well processed (by me) and archived for everyone to use. And without a doubt that they come from original floppies or discs.

Enjoy!

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
I could be like marcoguy or jagotu, if I had the proper tools.
All I need is a scanner, and then I could add so many more releases than I have to upload right now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:36 pm 
Donator

A half decent scanner can be had for under $50, and if you had some really desirable stuff and were willing to put the time in you could probably find someone willing to lend you a few bucks to help pay for one. The more troublesome piece of hardware for many members, and I'm guessing you as well, is the KryoFlux. Their most inexpensive model atm is €95, which can be hard if not unattainable for some members. Unlike a scanner, a KF is small enough to ship easily so again, if you have something desirable to offer, then the solution would be to ask a member who has one to lend it to you so you can dump your collection.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
But the problem is not all software are released in CDs...
Like I found a Virtual PC preview on a magazine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:57 pm 
Donator

I understand your concerns and I understand that you want files to be properly named and archived when you receive them, but you're acting like it's some sort of privilege for the members of this community to contribute anything to this site. And forgive me for being blunt, but having all different kinds of rules and guidelines regarding this subject scattered across at least 4 topics isn't making contributing pretty much anything to this site very easy.

Not too long ago I tried to contribute something from my personal collection to the FTP which still hasn't been processed yet. I followed the contribution guidelines to the best of my ability, but I still don't know if my file made it through or not (as I don't really know how long the processing for each file takes). I do know that the file has been deleted fro my upload folder, so I strongly suspect that something is wrong with it. If there is, I really wish you would've sent me a short PM pointing out what was wrong with it. If I know what is wrong with it I could simply correct my mistake and re-upload it properly. I have several more abandonware games/applications that i want to share with this site, but until I know what I may have done wrong last time I'm not about to risk making the same mistake again.

mrpijey wrote:
I don't want to sound unfriendly or ungrateful, but all of this processing takes a lot of my personal time.

I don't expect any gratitude as that is not the reason why I want to contribute. I want to contribute because I want to help this site and this community to grow and thrive, because I want to give something back for what this site has already given me. You say it takes a lot of personal time; of course it does, but as far as I know you made a conscious decision to administer this site and the FTP server, and with that come certain responsibilities. Don't get me wrong, I admire the fact that you put so much time and resource into this site, but it is still something you do by choice.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any rules of guidelines concerning this subject, but I do think they should be more easily available (as in: one topic covering all guidelines regarding site contributions).

That is all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:57 pm 
Administrator

If I would PM every user about an error in the FTP upload I wouldn't do anything else than PM people all the day. Sadly, only one out of five uploads are even barely usable, one of ten are decent... All you needed to do is PM me and ask what happened and I would have checked. I actually processed one of your uploads earlier today since I am going through the upload archives as we speak.

Because I chose to work with this community and this FTP doesn't mean I will take any kind of punishment from the community in terms of bad file uploads etc. We need to set some standards to make it better and easier for everyone. So you want to argue about my responsibilities? What about managing the FTP, paying for server, harddrive and bandwidth? Paying for power to keep them up 24/7, spending countless hours sorting, moving, adding, deleting, backing up, upgrading. Costs that isn't covered by any donations given to this community, but costs that comes directly out of my wallet because I believe in this community and in the task of preserving software. And to accomplish this I need to draw a line somewhere of what's acceptable or not, because no one else will. No one else tried in the entire lifetime of this community, I took up the toolbox and started to build something with Andy.

And here we are.

I can't process everyones uploads at the same time, and I admit that sometimes personal time gets priority over community time and uploads may be shoved back a few steps to prioritize more important ones. So if you got a question about something you upload you will have to ask. Because I can't PM every member about every questionable upload as that would take up far more time than actually processing it and leave the unknowns on my backup drive for a later date.

You seem to be a member that actually cares about their uploads. You're unfortunately a minority. That's why I don't bother with contacting every member. Those who cares will get in touch with me.

Offtopic Comment
I have 219 sent and unread messages in my Outbox.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:17 pm 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:
All you needed to do is PM me and ask what happened and I would have checked. I actually processed one of your uploads earlier today since I am going through the upload archives as we speak.

Alright, glad that's been cleared up. I'll PM you should I have any trouble with future uploads.

mrpijey wrote:
Because I chose to work with this community and this FTP doesn't mean I will take any kind of punishment from the community in terms of bad file uploads etc. We need to set some standards to make it better and easier for everyone. So you want to argue about my responsibilities? What about managing the FTP, paying for server, harddrive and bandwidth? Paying for power to keep them up 24/7, spending countless hours sorting, moving, adding, deleting, backing up, upgrading. Costs that isn't covered by any donations given to this community, but costs that comes directly out of my wallet because I believe in this community and in the task of preserving software. And to accomplish this I need to draw a line somewhere of what's acceptable or not, because no one else will. No one else tried in the entire lifetime of this community, I took up the toolbox and started to build something with Andy.

Of course you shouldn't "take any kind of punishment from the community", but if we're gonna have an FTP server where every member can upload their files, then it's no surprise that quite a few of them might not be proper according to this site's uploading guidelines. I'm not saying you should waste precious time fixing every bad upload that comes your way, so please don't get me wrong on this. All I'm saying is that the uploading guidelines are quite extensive so some people are bound to do something wrong when they try to upload their files (although I fully understand why these guidelines exist, and with good reason). You have obviously put a lot of heart and resources (money) into this site and I fully acknowledge that.

I can only hope you're pleased with the results. I know I am.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:01 pm 
Administrator

Of course, that's why I made this announcement so those members pay extra attention to what they are doing. If they make it easier for me then my work is a lot easier, as well as theirs since they don't need to re-upload or waste any more bandwidth fixing something that could have been easily avoided from the beginning. In the end I want their stuff to end up on the FTP as much as they do. And mistakes will happen, I just want to minimize them.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:53 pm 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
could you make this topic as sticky? i've searched the forums today for information on uploading and i must admit that the best guide i found was this one viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32302

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:10 pm 
FTP Access

I have a full old classic PC game on an original disc that came with an issue of retrogamer magazine I bought some time ago. If this is uploaded following the rules and guidelines would it be acceptable for ftp access?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Check your uploads before uploading!        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:48 pm 
Administrator

Depends on what game it is and how it's packaged on the disc. PM me the title and I'll give you an answer.

Top  Profile  WWW