BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 13h, 52m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 2005MB of 5073MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:48 pm 
Administrator

Betas are always welcome, such as your Darkspore beta (we already have some beta on the FTP, so be sure you got your build tags and dates correctly identified). As for updates, not so much, unless they are official standalone updates we can store with the full release.

If you want to provide these to BA then pack them up, label the releases properly and include a readme with some info about where you got it etc.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:17 pm 

Favourite OS
4039, 7850
mrpijey wrote:
Betas are always welcome, such as your Darkspore beta (we already have some beta on the FTP, so be sure you got your build tags and dates correctly identified). As for updates, not so much, unless they are official standalone updates we can store with the full release.

Welp, I can't seem to find a version number for the beta I have or the one on the FTP BUT I do have something regarding that post-release update. It is an official one (ofc, no third-party ones exist), and is also stored *MOSTLY* separately from the base game files. As for the stuff which is mixed in with the base game...thanks to the amount of time I've spent modding Darkspore (and later transferring parts of it to Spore), I'm fairly confident know which files are mixed in with the base game, so I can include those too. Does all of that meet your criteria?

mrpijey wrote:
If you want to provide these to BA then pack them up, label the releases properly and include a readme with some info about where you got it etc.

Okay...what format should they be in? The guidelines don't exactly list a recommended format for digitally-obtained stuff, so I figured I'd best ask.

Also, is "automatically downloaded from the Darkspore servers" a valid location of origin? >.<

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I know that BA doesn't normally allow Linux distribution betas to be uploaded, but I have a unique case:

I have an early technical preview of SUSE Linux 8.2 for AMD64, labeled '8.2 Beta 9'. It is dated 2003-06-30 and by all accounts, this beta was only distributed through SUSE's FTP. The problem comes into play like this: Until version 9.2, SUSE only uploaded a directory with all the files you needed to do a network install. However, this only applies to the x86 architecture. If you were using an AMD64 computer, you had to buy the retail package to get the final version at all.

TL;DR: Beta versions = Distributed only through Internet
Final versions = Distributed only through retail

I have verified that the files I have of the beta are original, but I do not know if this release is eligible for the FTP or not. If it is eligible for the FTP, I will start uploading soon.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:29 pm 
Administrator

Splitwirez wrote:
mrpijey wrote:

Welp, I can't seem to find a version number for the beta I have or the one on the FTP BUT I do have something regarding that post-release update. It is an official one (ofc, no third-party ones exist), and is also stored *MOSTLY* separately from the base game files. As for the stuff which is mixed in with the base game...thanks to the amount of time I've spent modding Darkspore (and later transferring parts of it to Spore), I'm fairly confident know which files are mixed in with the base game, so I can include those too. Does all of that meet your criteria?

mrpijey wrote:

Okay...what format should they be in? The guidelines don't exactly list a recommended format for digitally-obtained stuff, so I figured I'd best ask.

Also, is "automatically downloaded from the Darkspore servers" a valid location of origin? >.<

When it comes to betas they must be unmodified and directly from the source, unless it can be proven it's complete and tested. I don't know how your beta fares in this case.

Courage wrote:
I know that BA doesn't normally allow Linux distribution betas to be uploaded, but I have a unique case:

I have an early technical preview of SUSE Linux 8.2 for AMD64, labeled '8.2 Beta 9'. It is dated 2003-06-30 and by all accounts, this beta was only distributed through SUSE's FTP. The problem comes into play like this: Until version 9.2, SUSE only uploaded a directory with all the files you needed to do a network install. However, this only applies to the x86 architecture. If you were using an AMD64 computer, you had to buy the retail package to get the final version at all.

TL;DR: Beta versions = Distributed only through Internet
Final versions = Distributed only through retail

I have verified that the files I have of the beta are original, but I do not know if this release is eligible for the FTP or not. If it is eligible for the FTP, I will start uploading soon.

Due to the nature of Linux downloadables wouldn't be something we put on the FTP, only originals that were released on disc. I suggest you put this on Mega or something and let the community check it out.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
See here:
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35858

Last edited by Courage on Wed May 25, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:15 pm 
Administrator

Please put it up as an offer in the proper section as this topic is about the contribution revisions and not offers directly.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
Please put it up as an offer in the proper section as this topic is about the contribution revisions and not offers directly.

OK then. I have edited my last post to add a link to the new topic.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:50 pm 

Favourite OS
4039, 7850
mrpijey wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:
mrpijey wrote:

mrpijey wrote:

When it comes to betas they must be unmodified and directly from the source, unless it can be proven it's complete and tested. I don't know how your beta fares in this case.

Hmm...I'll try to test that beta, then.

And what about the updates?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:46 am 
Administrator

You can't test that beta since you can't play it against any servers :). As for updates, I am not sure. Include them and I'll see what I can do. Are they beta updates?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:37 am 

Favourite OS
4039, 7850
mrpijey wrote:
You can't test that beta since you can't play it against any servers :). As for updates, I am not sure. Include them and I'll see what I can do. Are they beta updates?

I meant "test" as in "attempt to install in a VM" ._.

And no, the updates are from after the final game was released.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:42 pm 
Administrator

Well, then we would need a vanilla install of it too, the updates by themselves are useless unless we also have the full game...

But send up the updates too, just make sure they are properly labeled with version number and such, because if they are not I won't spend much time trying to figure it out.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:01 pm 

Favourite OS
4039, 7850
mrpijey wrote:
Well, then we would need a vanilla install of it too, the updates by themselves are useless unless we also have the full game...

But send up the updates too, just make sure they are properly labeled with version number and such, because if they are not I won't spend much time trying to figure it out.

Oh, you want the full game too? I can definitely provide that. And I can dump it from the original disk, too C:

I'll...look into that in the near future ^-^

...wait, do you want a pre-installed copy of the game...or the installer? (Or both...?)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:21 pm 
Administrator

As we strive towards preserving the originals I would prefer the original installer, with the original disc scan if possible, properly dumped and scanned.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:23 pm 

Favourite OS
4039, 7850
mrpijey wrote:
As we strive towards preserving the originals I would prefer the original installer, with the original disc scan if possible, properly dumped and scanned.

Alright, I'll look into that, then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:48 pm 
Permanently Banned

- Onu: I think BIN/CUE and ISO save data than MDF/MDS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
MDF/MDS save more data than normal ISO. This is the reason why BA use MDF/MDS (isn't it?).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
TheDosProgrammer wrote:
MDF/MDS save more data than normal ISO. This is the reason why BA use MDF/MDS (isn't it?).

ISO is not suitable for archiving as it doesn't support multiple tracks or audio. This is one reason MDF/MDS is used.

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6