BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 1h, 1m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 1918MB of 3121MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
windows
Perhaps am I silly ... Image Image

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Can't it be that we can change to the groups we already have?
For example I could change into either:
Donator
FTP Access
Or is that not possible?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:05 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
No that would defeat the point of groups.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
And that feature is not yet avaliable in phpbb3.

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:47 am 
Administrator

Uh, what use would groups be if you could freely change into either of them? We have groups for a reason, otherwise we can just remove them all...

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
If admins forget to set your default group to your new group, you will not have to wait for an admin to come on again.
Anyway, doesn't matter.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 ultimate SP1
From the frontpage:
Quote:
How do I start downloading?
It's easy! All you need to do is sign up on the forum, make enough contributing posts, and then you can apply to what we call the "FTP Access" group (don't be discouraged by this, it's really very easy!).

;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:31 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Updated.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:38 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP6
Personaly i found the preveous rule better. I know that many people may try to abuse the post limit to get acces. For me, as i only log on every 6 months or so it's quite a lot to post 10 tings as i read more then i write.

On the other hand i do understand that sharing is caring. So i wonder, where do you all get your beta's? I mean, a beta version of windows 3.11 ain't something that plops up often. but i could be wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:43 pm 
Administrator

You don't need to contribute only betas, all kinds of abandonware can be contributed, even stuff that is not yet abandonware. So regardless if it's old floppies of Commander Keen beta or if it's Grand Theft Auto V you can contribute it for FTP access, as long as it's properly dumped and scanned. Betas are of course more difficult to find, but they do crop up every now and then. Usually found on auction sites, attics or workplaces that happen to have old stuff lying around a box. It's easy to ask around for original stuff.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:33 am 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.4
Yeah, if only someone except us (me excluded) was interested in original stuff. Translate cover to Russian, put serial.txt inside, and there is nothing original anymore.

Want IBM SOMobjects DTK 3.0 February Beta; also SOM DTK 3.0 for AIX
Want WebObjects 4.5.x for Windows; have Yellow Box for Win: OE4.2, WO4.0.1 and YB5.1
irc.efnet.net #osFree 你懂的

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:08 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Longhorn 3718
i guess any beta or alpha program would do ... would it ?

i have one special unique (original dev) build of old Opera that doesn't exist anywhere anymore :D
but ain't giving it yet :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:11 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
wasabilee wrote:
i guess any beta or alpha program would do ... would it ?

i have one special unique (original dev) build of old Opera that doesn't exist anywhere anymore :D
but ain't giving it yet :P

Why bother posting then? We've seen a lot of this "I have (os/program) and i'm not giving it out" and frankly we don't care. Keep the useless stuff to yourself next time.

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:19 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Longhorn 3718
read the question

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:12 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
wasabilee wrote:
read the question

Read the contribution guidelines first. Their pretty clean on what we will and will not accept.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:49 pm 
FTP Access

wasabilee wrote:
read the question

Straight on:- No.
In this way , you create a Hello World Beta 1 VB application with 1 line of code and expect it to be uploaded it to the FTP?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:27 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
wasabilee wrote:
i guess any beta or alpha program would do

Yes, but the beta has to be a proper dump and have proper scans and come from original media.
Offtopic Comment
My 400th post!

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Archenemy wrote:
wasabilee wrote:
i guess any beta or alpha program would do

Yes, but the beta has to be a proper dump and have proper scans and come from original media.
Offtopic Comment
My 400th post!

Archenemy, he's trying to compare it with MSDN downloads being hosted on the site.
I've seen lots of MSDN downloads being hosted on FTP. Sometimes the only way to get software would be to download, but usually staff do that, because they're "trustworthy". (nothing bad intended here)
So, basically some things can't come with proper scans from original media, but are usually "certified" with a reason from staff, provided it's of good use and reason to "preserve".

Really, it's not that difficult to figure that out. (nothing bad here either)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:05 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
yourepicfailure wrote:
Archenemy, he's trying to compare it with MSDN downloads being hosted on the site.

But I thought that he was talking about contributing to the BetaArchive FTP, not comparing it with MSDN downloads.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:42 am 
FTP Access

Well sometime ago I uploaded some content and evidently it has not been accepted.
The information demanded here in some cases simply does not exist anymore however.

Once I managed to find the complete sourcecode of an unreleased game.
But no information on the source code sans name and build, so I put the two builds I had into a rar archive in the appropiate folder and uploaded it.
I also had extensive documentation, but that has also not appeared on the FTP.

What should I do?
This kind of material should be protected and safeguarded.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:44 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Gurluas wrote:
Well sometime ago I uploaded some content and evidently it has not been accepted.
The information demanded here in some cases simply does not exist anymore however.

Once I managed to find the complete sourcecode of an unreleased game.
But no information on the source code sans name and build, so I put the two builds I had into a rar archive in the appropiate folder and uploaded it.
I also had extensive documentation, but that has also not appeared on the FTP.

What should I do?
This kind of material should be protected and safeguarded.

PM mrpijey if you have any concerns.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
I just want to say I like the rules that are in place right now. Anyone can reach a 10 posts and get access to the ftp server then leach the heck out of it. On the other hand anyone can find a program laying around in a box that probably isn't on the site or could use replacing/image additions. This way if you have ftp access this means you are truly a member of the community. Honestly I would have liked to see it go one more step and anyone from the 10 post era would need to upload something useful before x months or a year. I have some old stuff in a box I am looking for that I think will get me ftp but if not some day I will find something. In my search for this box of oldness I ran into a few games that would probably get me access but personally I do not want to upload these games, feel like they are too new and archiving them would be pointless (2003-2009).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:06 am 
Administrator

How would it be pointless to archive them? Our purpose is to archive software, regardless of age. If you say it's pointless then you clearly missed the whole point of preservation. You don't sit around and wait for something to be old enough before you take measures to save it, you save it whenever you encounter it. My newest games are The Division and Far Cry: Primal, and the first thing I did while the software was downloading was to dump the disc, and scan all manuals and covers.

So please, if you got anything interesting do preserve it for us, because once the time is ready then you may have lost your stuff...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
If it will make the comunity better I'll upload them. My only problem is in my mind preservation of games that are not at risk of disappearing by any means is digital hoarding not preservation. But as I said it's my opinion and I am willing to upload.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:15 pm 

Favourite OS
9600 or something idk
I was wondering...what about digital downloads which are no longer available? I do have the last released Darkspore update, as well as an older pre-release beta version of Darkspore, and AFAIK neither are available anywhere on the internet anymore. Problem is, neither came on a disk. (Well, the released game did, but the updates were digitally downloaded after-the-fact and so the disk does not reflect this.) I suppose I should note that Darkspore's servers were shut down on March 1st this year, however I feel the game is still worth preserving, even if it is nothing more than a Spore modding resource at this point. The game isn't sold anywhere anymore, except maybe some obscure retail location which is unaware that the game has been shut down. Could such a thing be an acceptable submission to the FTP? And if so, how would I go about submitting it without being able to dump it from a disk?

(I do apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask or if this was already answered elsewhere, there didn't exactly seem to be an FTP FAQ or Q&A thread...though if there is one and I missed it, I'm sorry and will keep that in mind for the future)

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next