BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 20h, 21m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 5647MB of 10860MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Swear filter        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:58 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

I have noticed several members of the forum not obiding by the rules on swearing and staring out their swear words. As a result of this a word censor has been put in place which will automatically star the word out.

ANY attemtps to bypass this filter WILL result in a warning. Do it again and you will be banned for an unspecified time.

Please remember that this forum is read by young teenagers whose parents may not like the fact there is swearing on the forum. Lets not spoil that persons BA experience because their parents stop them coming here as a result of swearing.

Thanks.

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:17 am 
Donator

While I have no adversion to a swear filter (after all, it is your forum), claiming to "Think of the children" isn't exactly forthcoming.

Were in a world where you hear the word "bitch" on The Simpsons. My neighbor punishes his children for saying "crap". The worst sailor mouths seem to be junior high school teens.

It is all subjective.

It is just one more step toward strangling your users. Maybe you should treat adults like adults, and let the responsible teens figure it out for themselves.

Or maybe you can go the other route and ban CAPS in postings, talk about eating cows, and Steve Ballmer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:20 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
RentedMule wrote:
While I have no adversion to a swear filter (after all, it is your forum), claiming to "Think of the children" isn't exactly forthcoming.

Were in a world where you hear the word "bitch" on The Simpsons. My neighbor punishes his children for saying "crap". The worst sailor mouths seem to be junior high school teens.

It is all subjective.

It is just one more step toward strangling your users. Maybe you should treat adults like adults, and let the responsible teens figure it out for themselves.

Or maybe you can go the other route and ban CAPS in postings, talk about eating cows, and Steve Ballmer.

Bitch and crap to me are not swearing, since a bitch is a female dog and crap is just, well crap meaning rubbish.

Thinking of the children is not the only reason I put the spam filter in. I see no reason to swear over the petty things people do swear over. The filter is there to show that we don't like the swearing and we would rather you didn't do it. You will find many professional forums also do the same thing.

Caps is another thing I don't like because its classed as shouting, however there is no rule on not doing this yet. Again other professional forums would make this a warn/bannable offence. I know of one personally and have seen it happen.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:23 am 
Donator

While we're at it (this is meant seriously): What about the "XY sucks" thing? I guess this is still allowed?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:25 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
While we're at it (this is meant seriously): What about the "XY sucks" thing? I guess this is still allowed?

Fanboyism? Its not really allowed because it causes flame wars. Maybe there should be a proper rule about it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:28 am 
Donator

No, I didn't mean fanboyism (but I am clearly for a rule against it). I rather meant sentences like "My car won't start. That sucks." or something like that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:32 am 
FTP Access

What's wrong with saying that something sucks, it surely just means, well just that? And I thought we already had a rule about excessive "fanboyism"?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:32 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I don't see why it should be a rule, I mean its not swearing and its not against any rules. If it turns into a rant against yourself and you do start swearing then no, it wouldn't be allowed.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:38 pm 
FTP Access

Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
Hey, you shold publish a list of filtered words. At least the members should know the words they should avoid or put *-s in it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:41 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
The common swear words have been censored:

[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:32 pm 
FTP Access

Well, people who have a superior control of the english language do not need to stoop down to the level of swear words and anybody that does use them has an intelligence less than a well known location whose average temprature is less than 3 degrees K.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:39 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Quote:
w****r

What is that?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:43 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Fireware wrote:
Quote:
w****r

What is that?

Can't post it and I won't get around the filter, since thats what it is there for. I will PM you it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:36 am 
Donator

It's great that this system is put in place. I never swear in forum and all of you souldn't either. Even though I want to swear, i'll just use something more appropriate.
I'm happy :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:33 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
The filter has been updates so all filtered words say [censored]. This is because some words aren't correctly filtered on the old method. Also, we really don't need to know what the word was do we...

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]