BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 11h, 4m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 2668MB of 6223MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: ServerCam turned off to save CPU power        Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:00 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

You may notice the CPU usage has significantly dropped this evening. This is because I have turned off the ServerCam. I discovered it was using 20-30% of the total CPU usage on the server which can have a huge impact at peak times or when lots of requests are made at once.

Ive disabled it temporaly for now to see how it goes speed wise. I may re-enable it again if I don't see much improvement.

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:35 pm 
Donator

Webcam software using 20%-30% of CPU? I didn't think it could use that much...

Have you tried reducing the frequency of the pictures? having it take a photo every minute is going to be a lot less consuming than having it run every 10 seconds for instance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:56 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Its not the taking of the picture thats so intensive, its the USB connection handling and the running of the software itself. It saves an image once a second (well it used to) so you could stream at 1fps. It works well but it just takes up too much CPU. Even when its not taking pictures there is a preview window it needs to update at 15fps, which can't be turned off because it needs it to be there to take snapshots, this means it still uses the same CPU usage even when not snapshotting the images.

When I get a job, I will get a new server with a better CPU so Ill be able to put it back on again full time.

You'll probably fine MSN uses about the same amount of cpu for the webcam when you are streaming to people. My PC can barely handle sending and receiving webcam at the same time so it says something about the webcam capabilities.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]