Aborted Longhorn concepts/features

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Emir214

Aborted Longhorn concepts/features

Post by Emir214 »

I want to write a document on the concepts or features of Windows "Longhorn" that never saw the light of day after the development reset. May I know what these aborted concepts/features are? (Please don't describe or give more information about them. I'll search these through the Internet.)

hounsell

Re: Aborted Longhorn concepts/features

Post by hounsell »

Emir214 wrote:I want to write a document on the concepts or features of Windows "Longhorn" that never saw the light of day after the development reset. May I know what these aborted concepts/features are? (Please don't describe or give more information about them. I'll search these through the Internet.)
WinFS was obviously the biggest. The Sidebar didn't return integrated into the shell, like it was in Longhorn. Also, DCE of the Wobbly Windows sense didn't return either.

Ensign Joe

Post by Ensign Joe »

Dropped Features and things:

Planned but never released at all:
- WinFS
- "Monad" (Windows Power Shell) -> is it already released for Vista?
- TCP/Paladium

At least in some builds leaked (specially: 40xx builds, before the restart)
- Sidebar integrated into shell
- Enhanced folder properties dialogs
- (Windows Movie Maker 3.0) -> only very buggy unusable in 4093 and I think Vista has a new Movie Maker
- Windows Picture Viewer (with ability to fix exposure, red eyes etc.)
- Jade, Slate, Plex themes
- Windows Alert Center (those stylish message baloons in the sidebar)
- Carousell View of folders, images etc.

I think that should be the most of it.

For more details see: http://uxunleaked.blogspot.com/ "If you life the peace, prepare for war" lol

grabberslasher

Post by grabberslasher »

Dont forget Aurora. Aurora, of different sorts, was going to be on the desktop, in the preview pane and in the file view, showcasing the power of WPF and a composited interface.

Then you have the Panorama (Phodeo) view which is popular in certain concepts and made it into a few builds.

The shell written in managed code, perhaps? They didn't try that again

Castle (which is coming back to Windows 7).

Hardware Explorer view (My Devices?)

Cant think of anything else off the top of my head

TheWahbinator

Post by TheWahbinator »

We're on PowerShell 2.0 already...

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

Ensign Joe wrote:Dropped Features and things:

- WinFS
- TCP/Paladium

- (Windows Movie Maker 3.0) -> only very buggy unusable in 4093 and I think Vista has a new Movie Maker

For more details see: http://uxunleaked.blogspot.com/ "If you life the peace, prepare for war" lol
WinFS was released in some form, not sure if it worked on Vista but there was a XP beta or 2

jlw17

Post by jlw17 »

I'm looking around to see which one has the MOST new features that aren't in Vista. Makes me real excited.

YouTube has so many videos showing all these extras. I'm just trying to decide which build i want to play with.

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

Thanks for the quick replies. I already finished the Sidebar part.

Ensign Joe

Post by Ensign Joe »

___ wrote:WinFS was released in some form, not sure if it worked on Vista but there was a XP beta or 2
mh well in 4074 they claim those special "Storages" to be a part of WinFS... Well, the Games folder works fine just without it
Emir214 wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. I already finished the Sidebar part.
I'd be looking forward to reading your work when you've finished

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Ensign Joe wrote:Dropped Features and things:

- WinFS
- TCP/Paladium

WinFS made it into SQL Server. (Again, it's not a new file system, just a service on top of NTFS that allows you to structure your files into an SQL database.)
PowerShell is out already as a standalone pack.
TCP exists already in Vista. Because it's not used doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I use several services on my Vista laptop that needs it, and Bluray needs some parts of it to function properly (HDCP etc).
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

mulholland
Donator

Post by mulholland »

grabberslasher wrote:Castle (which is coming back to Windows 7).
I remember disabling this service back when I was playing around with the Longhorn builds, but never really knew what purpose it served?

Anyone care to fill me in as to what the "castle" service was?

grabberslasher

Post by grabberslasher »

mulholland wrote:
grabberslasher wrote:Castle (which is coming back to Windows 7).
I remember disabling this service back when I was playing around with the Longhorn builds, but never really knew what purpose it served?

Anyone care to fill me in as to what the "castle" service was?
I think it's something similar to zeroconf or something. Automatic discovery and awareness of network resources? Not quite sure, never looked into it deeply.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Castle

What This Feature Does:
The "castle" feature allows users to have the networking functionality of the domain, including roaming the user's profile, machine trust and having a consistent user identity throughout the network. The main difference with Castle is that users do not have to setup a dedicated machine, such as a domain controller, to maintain the trust and identity relationship. It also makes it easy to share and access files on those computers. Each computer on the same subnet can discover and join an existing castle. Or, the user can create a Castle. To join an existing castle, you must know the login credentials of an administrator account already part of the castle. Only non-blank passwords can grant access. This helps ensure only authorized computers join the castle (use of strong passwords for administrator accounts is highly recommended). When a computer joins a castle, the accounts on that computer will be added to the list of accounts accessible from any computer in the castle. User specific data (e.g. their password, access rights, and preferences) will be replicated on each computer in the castle and kept in sync. In addition, the newly joined computer will inherit and respect all policies from the Castle.
Microsoft PDC Documentation

grabberslasher

Post by grabberslasher »

A zeroconf Domain controller. How bizarre

Let's see how it turns out in 7, HomeGroup seems a lot more personal rather than enterprise.

Emir214

First Public Alpha

Post by Emir214 »

I am proud to announce the availability of the first alpha version of the document I'm writing about the aborted "Longhorn" concepts/features. Currently, it is codenamed "Ostrich". (I'll think of a better name soon.) This version only has the Sidebar and WinFS. (I'll add more at the second public alpha.) There are also no images. (I'll add that when all errors are corrected.)

Please drop comments, suggestions, or errors. Please warn me about any content that I am not allowed to post.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?xm0md0ttqgi

Mortagen

Post by Mortagen »

surely there is more than what has been said so far. How is the second version of the documentation coming along?

bns06

Post by bns06 »

Well guys I also worked on one unfinished... I released a preview at joejoe a while ago so heres the release.... here in docx format

and here in doc format

Mortagen

Post by Mortagen »

Wow, nice work so far! the titlepage looks nice too!

bns06

Post by bns06 »

Mortagen wrote:Wow, nice work so far! the titlepage looks nice too!
Thanks mate

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

Mortagen wrote:surely there is more than what has been said so far. How is the second version of the documentation coming along?
It's been going great. I have recently finished the "notification toasts" part and I'm working on the "DCE animations from 4015 Lab06" part. However, progress may slow down, since the school year in my country will start more than a week from now.

Mortagen

Post by Mortagen »

Awesome as. I can't wait to see them both finished!

___
Donator

Re: Aborted Longhorn concepts/features

Post by ___ »

hounsell wrote:
Emir214 wrote:I want to write a document on the concepts or features of Windows "Longhorn" that never saw the light of day after the development reset. May I know what these aborted concepts/features are? (Please don't describe or give more information about them. I'll search these through the Internet.)
WinFS was obviously the biggest. The Sidebar didn't return integrated into the shell, like it was in Longhorn. Also, DCE of the Wobbly Windows sense didn't return either.
I think the wobbly windows were only there to show off the features as it isn't really that helpful to use. Didn't they also have transparency when you went to drag a window?

Mortagen

Post by Mortagen »

which build was this?

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

Mortagen wrote:which build was this?
This was build 4015 Lab06, from WinHEC 2004. (It remains unleaked.)

FarCry3r
Donator

Post by FarCry3r »

I thought TCP/Palladium was released, in the form of BitLocker, although it's only for hard drives...