Hidden feature in Microsoft Neptune

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Emir214

Hidden feature in Microsoft Neptune

Post by Emir214 »

Last week, I reviewed Microsoft Neptune build 5111 and its features. As it turns out, there is another hidden feature in this rare operating system besides the others which have already been documented. Three days ago, I found another Windows ME (Millenium Edition)-related functionality in Neptune, Microsoft AutoUpdate.

Microsoft AutoUpdate is the predecessor of XP's and Vista's "Automatic Updates" control panel applet. It allows you to choose whether you want to be:

* notified before installing updates;
* notified before downloading updates and notified again before installing them; or
* not automatically downloading updates for your computer
More at my blog post: http://real-encounters.blogspot.com/200 ... ptune.html

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

and it still works (sort off) it found a update it cant download the file Image

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

In one of your articles, ye mention one of the "scanners and cameras" control panel applets was from W2K. It's the one that does not look like a folder.

"Windows Identities" cpl is a variety of "Users and Passwords".

Among other things, it has a screensaver that allows you to do pictures over a directory (not in W2K, but in XP), and a different (rather well known) setup.bmp.

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

os2fan2 wrote:In one of your articles, ye mention one of the "scanners and cameras" control panel applets was from W2K. It's the one that does not look like a folder.

"Windows Identities" cpl is a variety of "Users and Passwords".

Among other things, it has a screensaver that allows you to do pictures over a directory (not in W2K, but in XP), and a different (rather well known) setup.bmp.
Thanks for the clarifications.

nickenzi
Donator

Post by nickenzi »

i found it and tried it out. it found 4 updates, but the program crashed when it was told to download them.
............................[url=gopher://nickmaslon.com]Visit my gopher site![/url]

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

nickenzi wrote:i found it and tried it out. it found 4 updates, but the program crashed when it was told to download them.
Well, this version of AutoUpdate is an alpha program. Maybe it was not meant to function properly.

What are these updates exactly? Can you post a screenshot?

nickenzi
Donator

Post by nickenzi »

here we go... screenshots for everyone!!!
ImageImage
also... i'm running neptune on a physical pc. it's a toughbook cf-25 with a p1 150mhz processor, 80mb ram, a 10gb hard drive, and i use it as a functional pc (i have java, flash, wmp9, firefox, etc installed.) it also dual-boots into dos 6.22/wfw 3.11.
............................[url=gopher://nickmaslon.com]Visit my gopher site![/url]

DJ Gx

Post by DJ Gx »

nice

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

nickenzi wrote:here we go... screenshots for everyone!!!
ImageImage
also... i'm running neptune on a physical pc. it's a toughbook cf-25 with a p1 150mhz processor, 80mb ram, a 10gb hard drive, and i use it as a functional pc (i have java, flash, wmp9, firefox, etc installed.) it also dual-boots into dos 6.22/wfw 3.11.
Well, I pressed "Start Download" and the AutoUpdate window just disappeared. I never knew if the updates were downloaded.

nickenzi
Donator

Post by nickenzi »

Emir214 wrote:
Well, I pressed "Start Download" and the AutoUpdate window just disappeared. I never knew if the updates were downloaded.
If you have taskmgr running, you see that the program just exits when you click download.