Windows Neptune Build Leaks

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
marioandsonicfan98

Windows Neptune Build Leaks

Post by marioandsonicfan98 »

Has anyone leaked any builds from Windows Neptune that has a build of 5111 or higher?
Thank you.
:beta:

johnleakedfan

Re: Windows Neptune Build Leaks

Post by johnleakedfan »

There have been fakes of Neptune Builds, Build 5111 is the only confirmed Build that has been Leaked at the Moment :beta:

Thank You, JohnLeakedFan

ReztaNZ

Post by ReztaNZ »

Take a look at winworldpc, they have Windows Neptune 5111. Any other builds including *genuine* 5056 don't exist online. Always a good place to start if you're new in the beta world :)

PivotGuy246

Post by PivotGuy246 »

"There is no such thing as a 5056." - Rebel Teacher from Half-Life 2: Episode Two.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

There probably was 5056, since there are files with this version clearly labeled as "Microsoft Neptune" in Windows ME build 2380.2. However, this particular copy posted yesterday is fake.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

marioandsonicfan98

No, I mean like build 5112 or higher or something.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

marioandsonicfan98 wrote:No, I mean like build 5112 or higher or something.
I kind of cleared it out in the First Post already MarioandSonicFan98

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Well, 5111.1 is from 11th December 1999. If we consider that 25th December and later weren't working days and that the project was canceled someday in January, there's still enough time for MS to make several builds after 5111.1, including 5111.6. Some possible candidates include 5116 and 5117 (from file versions). Nothing confirmed or leaked though, except 5111.6 which we know exists because a disc of it is kept in MS archives.
Last edited by Overdoze on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

marioandsonicfan98

Overdoze wrote:
Well, 5111.1 is from 11th December 1999. If we consider that 25th December and later weren't working days and that the project was canceled someday in January, there's still enough time for MS to make several builds after 5111.1, including 5111.6. Some possible candidates include 5116 and 5117 (from file versions), and perhaps 5118, 5119 and 5120 (bug reporting page version in Whistler builds). Nothing confirmed or leaked though, except 5111.6 which we know exists because a disc of it is kept in MS archives.
So, Build 5111 is like a release candidate?

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

No. To compare it to a project that actually finished, 5111 is probably equivalent to about mid-6500s in Windows 7. It was just cancelled pretty early in development.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

It's M2 from what we know. The disc of 5111.1 had Neptune_M2 volume label IIRC. So yeah, that's pretty early in development.

EDIT: Also, it seems I mixed up the build numbers in my earlier post. Files from ME 2380.2 that I mentioned are actually versioned 5067.1, not 5056.1 as I claimed. My bad.

marioandsonicfan98

What do you think Neptune would looked like?
And also, when would it have been released?

WindowsCollector2000

Post by WindowsCollector2000 »

1.) Neptune may have looked like Windows XP, possibly mixed with ME.

2.) According to the release date of the build (December 11, 1999) and the fact that it isn't a release candidate, it's probably late 2000. But then, it could be early 2001 as most versions of Windows have a development of 2 years or more.
i do things.
Pre-Whistler 2428 builds are underrated tbh

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Hard to say how it would've looked like, since it got canceled so early in development. Assuming that the whole HTML UI thing survived, it could be pretty interesting, kinda like Modern UI on Windows 8 and later I guess. They've had some cool ideas and concepts that weren't reintroduced until years later.

As for release date, here is the document from February 1998 which details the general plan for Neptune and its successor Triton. The release date for Neptune was originally planned for March 2000. However, as you can see, they've pretty much missed that deadline by late 1999, as well as with Windows NT 5.0 (2000) which was supposed to be released in September 1998 (1.5 years earlier). Plus they've later decided to do Windows ME as well (possibly due to Neptune delay?) which took away quite a few things from Neptune. By late 1999, before the whole thing was killed, they've already started removing some of the stuff Neptune was basically all about. So I doubt they'd meet their deadline if the project continued. More likely it'd be released in 2001 I'd say.

Karzahni

Post by Karzahni »

It'd be cool if the community was able to finish what Microsoft started. Doubt it's possible, but there's unofficial SPs already, and OpenNT (might help)

Maybe Neptune would have looked a little like Whistler. Maybe in between Whistler and XP.

Not sure why I love Neptune so much. I guess it's because its probably the only beta OS that I was able to install and have work out of the box. That was refreshing after the 9x betas with no bootable CD.
I am a pelican

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

Overdoze wrote:Hard to say how it would've looked like, since it got canceled so early in development. Assuming that the whole HTML UI thing survived, it could be pretty interesting, kinda like Modern UI on Windows 8 and later I guess. They've had some cool ideas and concepts that weren't reintroduced until years later.

As for release date, here is the document from February 1998 which details the general plan for Neptune and its successor Triton. The release date for Neptune was originally planned for March 2000. However, as you can see, they've pretty much missed that deadline by late 1999, as well as with Windows NT 5.0 (2000) which was supposed to be released in September 1998 (1.5 years earlier). Plus they've later decided to do Windows ME as well (possibly due to Neptune delay?) which took away quite a few things from Neptune. By late 1999, before the whole thing was killed, they've already started removing some of the stuff Neptune was basically all about. So I doubt they'd meet their deadline if the project continued. More likely it'd be released in 2001 I'd say.
From What I've Heard, When they Canceled the Neptune and Odyssey Projects and Merged the Teams to make XP, they then had a team to make the 9x Stop-Gap Release "Millennium"

This might be correct, but Not Completely Sure

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

johnleakedfan wrote:From What I've Heard, When they Canceled the Neptune and Odyssey Projects and Merged the Teams to make XP, they then had a team to make the 9x Stop-Gap Release "Millennium"

You're wrong. By the time Neptune (and Odyssey) got canceled and Whistler was started to replace it (January 2000), Windows Millennium was already in Beta 2 stage. It's been in active development since summer 1999 at least (I'm guessing Neptune also started at that time), so saying it was started when Neptune was cancelled is not true.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

Overdoze wrote:
johnleakedfan wrote:From What I've Heard, When they Canceled the Neptune and Odyssey Projects and Merged the Teams to make XP, they then had a team to make the 9x Stop-Gap Release "Millennium"

You're wrong. By the time Neptune (and Odyssey) got canceled and Whistler was started to replace it (January 2000), Windows Millennium was already in Beta 2 stage. It's been in active development since summer 1999 at least (I'm guessing Neptune also started at that time), so saying it was started when Neptune was cancelled is not true.
Thanks For correcting me, :)

jdaniel125

Post by jdaniel125 »

hopefully microsoft kept a few of their rare beta OS'es tucked away in their file servers... we need them so badly

MrUTB

Post by MrUTB »

You don't need them, you want them, it's different.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

jdaniel125 wrote:hopefully microsoft kept a few of their rare beta OS'es tucked away in their file servers... we need them so badly
We don't need it, but maybe you need some fresh air. Speaking of fresh air.... *logs off, grabs a coat, and goes outside...
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

jdaniel125 wrote:hopefully microsoft kept a few of their rare beta OS'es tucked away in their file servers... we need them so badly
Yeah, all those amazing betas you'll play with for 5 minutes in a VM and forget about soon afterwards. Seriously, as others pointed out, you don't need them. You want them.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

nazguz
Permanently Banned

Post by nazguz »

there is no need to keep Neptune backed up
as everything it "had", it got dumped onto WinME and XP

you can even consider win 8/10 to have "revised" UI of it

Raritize

Post by Raritize »

Wheatley wrote: Yeah, all those amazing betas you'll play with for 5 minutes in a VM and forget about soon afterwards. Seriously, as others pointed out, you don't need them. You want them.
I would technically need them. It'd make OpenNT development much easier. As long as it's checked builds.

rthdribl

Post by rthdribl »

Whoa, all those answers "we don't need them" surprised me a bit. Using the same rule, we don't need any betas at all. Let's just throw them away :D
Well, I agree that they're not essential, but they'd provide an insight about the Neptune development. Seeing how little is known about the development of Neptune and its friends, it would be nice to get some new facts.

That being said: the AC mockups translated into poor "real" ACs in 5111, so in the earlier versions would have even less. Builds after 5111 would be much more interesting and complete, but we know that they were never completed, because the project was ditched. So the most valuable version of Neptune is already here.

I am more interested about the early builds of Millennium. Those with the Activity Centers and alleged "Start Page". I still don't remember where I read about that alternate Start in Millennium, but I'm sure I didn't make this up (so if anyone knows, do tell!) :D
If I remember correctly, those builds remain unleaked. 2332 is basically just Windows 98SE... but then 3000 is as well :D
MINI NT EXECUTIVE Version 1.0
rthdribl