Discovery in 5111

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
ovctvct

Discovery in 5111

Post by ovctvct »

This appears to be a program designed to manage keys, but it isn't. It's description says Neptune to Neptune Upgrade. Really unexpected, but real. I will add more pics later.

computebrute
Donator

Re: Discovery in 5111

Post by computebrute »

Is this like what nowadays is Keyfinder?

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

computebrute wrote:Is this like what nowadays is Keyfinder?
Obviously not. Keyfinder is to find a product key, this seems to be to manage keys but that's not all.

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

ovctvct wrote:
computebrute wrote:Is this like what nowadays is Keyfinder?
Obviously not. Keyfinder is to find a product key, this seems to be to manage keys but that's not all.
That is what Keyfinder does as well!

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

*facepalm*

Keys can mean a whole range of things. In this case, it's network credentials. It looks to essentially be the forerunner of the "Credential Manager" in modern Windows.

Edit: Indeed, one string in the EXE actually identifies itself as "Neptune Credential Manager"

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Not really much of a discovery, people knew about this for a long time.

The file description is just as confusing as it is with joindom.exe - internal string say it's part of the OOBE (which is true), but file description says "Neptune-to-Neptune Upgrade", which doesn't make much sense as the program always opens on first run, even on non-upgrade installs. This is pretty much Neptune in a nutshell - confusing and messy as hell.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

mrmattdarnell

Post by mrmattdarnell »

There could be another build of Neptune somewhere, or Microsoft had that in there when they were actually planning Neptune, before scratching the project for Whistler/Longhorn/Blackcomb.
My Build: FX 4300, MSI 970 Gaming Mobo, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 760, NZXT Source 530 with 9 system fans total, with a NZXT 550w Power Supply, custom sleeved cables to top it off.
Other devices: Xbox One, Xbox 360, Surface 2, iPad Air, iPhone 5S.

beta.a.brian

Post by beta.a.brian »

I have no clue about the Keyfinder,but I do about Neptune-to-Neptune Upgrade.This could've been maybe if Microsoft planned to make several editions of Neptune,or service packs that would have to be upgraded by media?
#8032forbrian came true