Athens PC - Looking for resources.

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Venetik
Donator

Athens PC - Looking for resources.

Post by Venetik »

Heya! I was looking through betaarchive about that prototype pc, and found only 4 results. Does anyone have few info abuot it? It's 2012, the google don't tell you much infromation as you want know.

I'm trying to mod my notebook to look similar as Athens. So, any references will be accepted ;>
Well, hello friends!

Emir214

Re: Athens PC - Looking for resources.

Post by Emir214 »

Ah yes the Athens PC, one of Longhorn's many only-a-dream legacies. It was essentially Longhorn; the difference was it was running in a concept PC Microsoft (along with HP, if I'm not mistaken? But references to HP only come up with Agora, precursor to Athens.) came up with that would be "integrating telephony functionality and wireless with the PC, and using intuitive and consistent system controls [to make] the PC user experience more seamless."(Gosh that sounded so awesome only a decade ago.)

So, any Athens PC resources you would want are already present in various Longhorn builds (Milestone 7 most likely). Nevertheless, I'm uploading these screenshots for you, just in case you'd want to replicate them. These are from Paul Thurrott's site of the Athens PC demo during WinHEC 2004. (It even has the cherry blossom wallpaper. You may also want to ask ReflectiaX (Stephen), maybe he has some demos of Athens still alive after all these years. (After all, these are only Director demos, actual development was already downhill by this time.)

Offtopic Comment
Speaking of phone capabilities, is Microsoft going to bundle Skype or Windows Phone capabilities in Windows 8?
EDIT: This came from this topic, courtesy of Ludacris.
Ludacris wrote:As this was on the winhec (as far as I know), it could be something between 406x and 407x...
and yeah the wallpaper is EXTREMELY rare (Apple blossom a.k.a Cherry blossom)
This wallpaper was in 4075
EDIT2: This screenshot is similar to the one displayed on the monitor. I got this from here. (It's amazing how a lot of pre-reset Longhorn features depended entirely on the buggy, unstable and ultimately unworkable WinFS.)

Venetik
Donator

Post by Venetik »

thank you. i'm not looking for longhorn but i apreacciate that :D
Well, hello friends!

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

Venetik wrote:thank you. i'm not looking for longhorn but i apreacciate that :D
Athens PC = Longhorn with advanced communication features (at least that's what Microsoft wanted people to see)

Unless you were talking about a different Athens PC?

Venetik
Donator

Post by Venetik »

I think Longhorn IS OS wich is designed to run on AthensPC proto. Sorry for that, it's just my opinion.
Well, hello friends!

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

I think Windows Vista fits with the AthensPC proto, and we have achieved its goals.
How?
-LCD screens
-PocketPCs
-We use wireless technologies (802.11/802.15 [WiFi/Bluetooth])
-We have cameras in our PCs. (At least some, I don't)
Except one.
Our PCs don't run Longhorn.

PTL

Post by PTL »

Personally, i always thought the built-in PDA dock was interesting. wouldn't really work out in real life because of how PDAs/Smartphones tend to go through design changes as the hardware generations go on, but i thought it was a pretty neat concept.

The tape player-ish buttons look sort of odd, though...

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

I know bumping up such an old topic is not really a good habbit but look what I've found in the current Windows Gallery

http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbo ... fd24_6.jpg

Isn't that the same tree but from another angle again?

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

I know that this may also be further contributing to the bump, but what I personally think is that this build was probably one of those "special" builds of Longhorn, as in, one that was most likely compiled for a specific person (the build tag would have reflected that if this was actually the case).

Either way, I highly doubt that it came from winmain, considering that it obviously had a very special purpose functionality-wise.

CabaProductions
Location: Somewhere in the island that is formerly a U.S. colony.

Post by CabaProductions »

Here's the video demonstrates Athens PC at WinHEC 2003:

*This account is on hiatus mode*