BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 15d, 17h, 1m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5339MB of 11630MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 94?        Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:44 am 
FTP Access

OK, I was trying to get Chicago 90c installed with Windows 3.1 to use the WIN31.EXE program. I started the installation and stopped it because I chose to upgrade where I want it to be installed in the CHICAGO folder. I rebooted from Windows 3.1 and started the installation again, this time I decided to use the custom setup and this dialogue caught my attention:

Was Chicago meant to be called Windows 94?

Please don't kill me and I am too afraid of you guys say I faked it (I did not).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 94?        Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
With the planned release date then still being some point in 1994, Windows 94 makes sense. And yes, that message box is real.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 94?        Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
This particular string is only present in build 90c. In build 99, "Windows 94" was replaced with plain "Chicago", while 81 doesn't seem to have this dialog at all.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 94?        Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
It seems Windows 94 is actually another name for Windows Cairo, a Windows code name from 1993 that would later be known as Windows NT 4.0. Because when I searched "Windows 94" on Wikipedia, it redirected me to "Cairo (operating system)". Or is that false?

ComputerHunter wrote:
Please don't kill me and I am too afraid of you guys say I faked it (I did not).

Why makes you think you would get attacked just because you ask about certain Windows versions that may be fake or not? You know that's what most of us are here for :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 94?        Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:08 pm 
Donator

JonathonWyble wrote:
It seems Windows 94 is actually another name for Windows Cairo, a Windows code name from 1993 that would later be known as Windows NT 4.0. Because when I searched "Windows 94" on Wikipedia, it redirected me to "Cairo (operating system)". Or is that false?

That's a pure assumption. Also for the record, Cairo has nothing in common with the Windows NT 4.0 we got.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 94?        Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
AlphaBeta wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:

That's a pure assumption. Also for the record, Cairo has nothing in common with the Windows NT 4.0 we got.

Oh. Well I thought they say that Cairo was associated with the early development of NT 4. But yeah, Cairo was never fully released, so that's sort of a coincidence.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 94?        Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:54 pm 

Favourite OS
AlphaBeta wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:

Well I wouldn't say Cairo has nothing to do with the NT4 we got.The "Cairo" shell from Windows 95 ended up in NT4, and Cairo was always intended to be a version of Windows NT. I'd consider Windows NT 4.0 to be a cut-down version of Cairo, like Vista ended up as a cut-down version of the 2002/2003-era "Longhorn" concept. OFS was dropped, but the Cairo shell came through.

Also, Windows 94 makes sense, as these were the following preliminary names for Windows 95.
- Windows 4.0
- Windows 93
- Windows 94

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 94?        Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 pm 

Favourite OS
WinNT 3.x, Win95, 3.00.14, Linux
That "Cairo Shell" you're talking about was forked off of Cairo around December 1992 by the Windows 95 team and heavily modified before shipping in win95 and being put back into Windows NT. So that isn't the Cairo Shell, it's a descendant of it

Also, we do have a Cairo build. 1175. Not NT4 1175, as it has OFS and stuff.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 94?        Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:15 pm 

Favourite OS
winnt32 wrote:
That "Cairo Shell" you're talking about was forked off of Cairo around December 1992 by the Windows 95 team and heavily modified before shipping in win95 and being put back into Windows NT. So that isn't the Cairo Shell, it's a descendant of it

Also, we do have a Cairo build. 1175. Not NT4 1175, as it has OFS and stuff.

I always assumed that NT4 was still a product of the development work that led up to Cairo, and that Cairo build 1175 was a fork of NT4 1175 with the Cairo components like OFS. So I'll agree that Cairo != NT4 but NT4 is based on some of Cairo's ideas, and that Cairo used some NT4 tech.

Top  Profile