Windows 10 Sucks

Discuss Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2016, 2019, Home Server, SBS 2008, SBS 2011.
daemonspudguy
FTP Access
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Windows 10 Sucks

Post by daemonspudguy »

yourepicfailure wrote: Lastly, your argument pertaining to the "sketchy Microsoft Store." Yes, dodgy applications do sneak by Microsoft's screening. However, the Apple App Store and Google Play have been proven to not be immune to this deficiency either.
Who mentioned mobile devices with sandboxed environments? Also, I said some programs are sketchy, not the whole store. I am aware the App Store and Play Store have dubious content, but they’re sandboxed. I’d rather not have an app marketplace on my desktop. At least with programs from the web, I can scan them with Kaspersky.
"You can't catch me! I'll be gone by the time they come. You can't catch me! The war is already won. Even though the children have sold their guns, we must remember the fallen ones."
-Avicii, 2015

daemonspudguy
FTP Access
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by daemonspudguy »

Also, both systems can’t use fast boot, I have Linux.
"You can't catch me! I'll be gone by the time they come. You can't catch me! The war is already won. Even though the children have sold their guns, we must remember the fallen ones."
-Avicii, 2015

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

MCpillager12 wrote:That is what i did. And trust me, the results were less than pleasent. It was extremely slow, and upgrading to 1903 bricked the boot loader, so i had to move off to a 20-y.o. OS (aka win2k) and its actually quite fast, despite the boot up time (around 45 to 50 seconds).
What are your specs?

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

YueLing11 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:That is what i did. And trust me, the results were less than pleasent. It was extremely slow, and upgrading to 1903 bricked the boot loader, so i had to move off to a 20-y.o. OS (aka win2k) and its actually quite fast, despite the boot up time (around 45 to 50 seconds).
What are your specs?
Its a Dell Inspiron 535s.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

daemonspudguy wrote:
Maza wrote:
daemonspudguy wrote:
Maza wrote:
daemonspudguy wrote:If I ask GNOME's developers the same question I get the answer I should get. That would be "I don't know? That's none of our business."
I beg your pardon? Why is that the answer that you "should" get? That is like the old Sea-Tac Microsoft Tech Support joke; the answer is completely accurate—the GNOME developers really would be ignorant—but it would be completely useless.
They have no reason to have that information. Why does Microsoft have a reason?
The stated reason is to improve the Photos application. Windows 10 is not unique in this regard.
My photos being viewed in a different app helps Microsoft fix the Photo Viewer program? That's illogical on all levels
I used to use ACDSee 3.1 (18 years old) on Windows 10 before i downgraded to Win2k. PM me if you want the download and serial, it supports most pictures of today.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

daemonspudguy wrote:Also, both systems can’t use fast boot, I have Linux.
When you were "testing" with windows.
daemonspudguy wrote:Who mentioned mobile devices with sandboxed environments? Also, I said some programs are sketchy, not the whole store. I am aware the App Store and Play Store have dubious content, but they’re sandboxed.
However your post implies you have a distrust in the MS store because of these dubious programs, and it's better to trust the developer's website over the store.
daemonspudguy wrote:That sounds insane, and looking at listings like 8zip (a dubious clone of 7zip) should be more then enough proof that the only site you could 100% trust would be the developers' site.
------------

I am done flogging this horse. I (and others) have tried, but you aren't understanding the big picture. Nor do you show any intent to ever.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

daemonspudguy
FTP Access

Post by daemonspudguy »

yourepicfailure wrote:
daemonspudguy wrote:Also, both systems can’t use fast boot, I have Linux.
When you were "testing" with windows.
daemonspudguy wrote:Who mentioned mobile devices with sandboxed environments? Also, I said some programs are sketchy, not the whole store. I am aware the App Store and Play Store have dubious content, but they’re sandboxed.
However your post implies you have a distrust in the MS store because of these dubious programs, and it's better to trust the developer's website over the store.
daemonspudguy wrote:That sounds insane, and looking at listings like 8zip (a dubious clone of 7zip) should be more then enough proof that the only site you could 100% trust would be the developers' site.
------------

I am done flogging this horse. I (and others) have tried, but you aren't understanding the big picture. Nor do you show any intent to ever.
As long as those computers existed, they had Linux and Windows. The celeron based one cooked it's own guts, and doesn't exist anymore. And, honestly, it is a better idea to check the developer's website before downloading from ANY App Market. The flurry of apps pretending to be WhatsApp on Android should be proof enough.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
-Avicii, 2015

daemonspudguy
FTP Access

Post by daemonspudguy »

I honestly regret ever opening this thread. All I've done is brought two sides of the community into nothing more than a flamewar, and honestly I just want this thread removed from history.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

Post removed by author
Last edited by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

Aaaaaa nuuu cheeki breeki i v damke!
mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

MCpillager12 wrote:
YueLing11 wrote:
What are your specs?
RAM and CPU please?

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

I am sorry to double post but can I request this thread to be locked or deleted? All topics like this often turn into arguments, fights and spammers' chance to bump up their post count.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

YueLing11 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
YueLing11 wrote:
What are your specs?
RAM and CPU please?
2GB DDR2 RAM (upgradable to 4GB DDR2) and Intel Pentium Dual-Core @ 2593 Mhz.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

ComputerHunter wrote:I am sorry to double post but can I request this thread to be locked or deleted? All topics like this often turn into arguments, fights and spammers' chance to bump up their post count.
To quote mrpijey:
mrpijey wrote:As long as there's healthy discussion and no, personal attacks, foul language etc I don't see any reason to lock this down. People have the right to express the personal opinions about Windows 10 and others have the right to challenge it as long as it's done properly, calmly and professionally.

If you have any issue with this topic use the report function, don't post it in the thread.
Even I find the discussion interesting (although I don't really participate), so I guess that those who do participate will find it even more important to express their opinions.
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Maza
FTP Access

Post by Maza »

daemonspudguy wrote:How can I offer proof if the app in question doesn't exist anymore. MS pulled it long ago.
Links, photos, references, and other resources constitute evidence. You could share these items despite Microsoft having removed the application. If these are not available or ultimately are not provided then your statement regarding a fraudulent 8 Zip application is discredited and should be ignored.
daemonspudguy wrote:And if you go back a few pages, you will see what I stated my hardware was 3-4 years ago.
This provides no insight into the hardware configurations.
daemonspudguy wrote:[...] And, honestly, it is a better idea to check the developer's website before downloading from ANY App Market. The flurry of apps pretending to be WhatsApp on Android should be proof enough.
This was not your argument before, which is false, where you stated that one can only absolutely trust a developer's website.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Maza
FTP Access

Post by Maza »

Much of the messages have focused on negative aspects of Windows 10—whether real or perceived—and I think it would be wise to discuss positive details.

Windows 10 allows the user to view the applications that are using battery life, and provides some degree of control for the user to respond accordingly (new applications can be prohibited from running in the background). A new battery saver feature disables "automatic email and calendar syncing, live tile updates, and apps you’re not actively using." Previous versions do not even show information regarding the battery life use of applications.

A more recent release of Windows 10—I do not recall the build off-hand—provides options to configure GPU settings for new applications and even classic desktop applications, which can result in power savings.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Offtopic Comment
Then why did you name the topic “Windows 10 sucks”? If you want people to have positive opinions on that then name the topic something else.
DV

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Maza
FTP Access

Post by Maza »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:Then why open it when it is such a controversial topic?
There would be few to no controversies here if certain commentators were informed. Correction. If certain commentators were willing to be informed.
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:Everybody will have an opinion and try to make it a fact.
It is not an opinion that Windows 10 is not collecting or tracking photos.
It is not an opinion that neither application repositories nor developer websites are absolutely trustworthy.
It is not an opinion that Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 7 is not equivalent to Windows Defender in Windows 10.
It is not an opinion that 8 Zip in the Microsoft Store is not some dubious clone of 7-Zip.
And it is not an opinion that research is a prerequisite to legitimate criticism.
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:There is going to be a lot of fighting and these threads shouldn’t exist if they are going to turn out like this. Just trying to give my two cents here.
There is not anything wrong with argumentation. The blame for the arrangement of such discussions lay at the feet of those who repeatedly gainsay the details that disprove their indefensible positions.

yourepicfailure
Donator

This is new- wasn't in 2016 last I checked (two+ years ago).

Server 2019 Eval, left it in English for the forum.

I will say, using this on an actual server-workstation (ws460 g8 w/ 2x e5-2697v2 + 64gb lrdimm) with garbage subpar Matrox graphics is hell (lag everywhere thanks to forced software DWM). No wonder HP started using REAL accelerated GPUs with g9+ servers. Otherwise, actual work is pretty snappy even with a 5400 non-hp approved spinny disk. Programs load very quickly, it's just drawing them on screen that's the problem.
Looks like I'll have to find a way to stuff a real gpu in with the multi carrier on the expansion blade if I want to keep on with this OS. RDP isn't going to suffice very well.
Shame HP couldn't figure out how to redirect the mxm VGA signals to the SUV cable or some sort of vga out port, or at least don't want to. Well then considering the multi carrier can have up to 6 mxm cards, I see where there could be trouble.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

I wonder why no one here has mentioned features like Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and Windows Sandbox. As someone who uses Linux tools regularly, the former is very helpful and powerful - and negates one of Mac's hallmarks (i.e, better UNIX support).
Those two features itself are easily good reasons for me to stay with Windows 10...

Winins
FTP Access

Post by Winins »

In and after version 1903, you can get rid of some pre-installed apps.
You have never seen Windows like this!
FREE Windows 3.2!
Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

yourepicfailure
Donator

x010 wrote:I wonder why no one here has mentioned features like Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and Windows Sandbox. As someone who uses Linux tools regularly, the former is very helpful and powerful - and negates one of Mac's hallmarks (i.e, better UNIX support).
Those two features itself are easily good reasons for me to stay with Windows 10...
I think louisw3 mentioned those in another thread discussing Windows 10.

Anyways, the night modes and adaptability for HDR and high color screens (more than 8bpp) is an interesting touch for producers and late-night workers.

daemonspudguy
FTP Access

Post by daemonspudguy »

Maza wrote: This provides no insight into the hardware configurations.
Bullsh**. I mention that I used a dual core Intel Celeron (specifically the G1850) at 2.9 gigahertz, 4 gigabytes of ram, and, during the days of Windows 8.1, Intel HD Graphics. I also mention the fact that I currently use a much faster AMD A8-7600, with 8 gigs of ram, and the integrated R7. What else is there to mention? My specific motherboards? MSI Socket FM2+ board right now, and some MSI board from the Haswell era.
-Avicii, 2015

Maza
FTP Access

Post by Maza »

daemonspudguy wrote:Bullsh**.
Get ahold of yourself.
daemonspudguy wrote: I mention that I used a dual core Intel Celeron (specifically the G1850)
"This" referred to your then latest response to me; that is, I wanted a response about your specific hardware. Nevertheless, I was wrong to not view your original post again before writing and I apologize (I did view your other posts in consideration of your latest response).

However, despite what you claim here there was no such specificity in your original post and, seeing as the launch date of the G1850 was second quarter 2014 your own provided timeframe of use is indicated to be incorrect.
daemonspudguy wrote:What else is there to mention?
You made no mention of—if recollection serves—the speed of your storage. There are other (more minor) details of which I can conceive but that can perhaps wait until later.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Windows 10 ran like crap on my main. It was slower than 7 and certainly slower than XP.
DV

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:Windows 10 ran like crap on my main. It was slower than 7 and certainly slower than XP.
Same here. Main is a Dell Inspiron from 2009, now running windows 2000