Why is Longhorn 4057.private/lab06_dev_ux.031107-1900 fake?

Discuss Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2016, 2019, Home Server, SBS 2008, SBS 2011.
ATeamInc
FTP Access

Why is Longhorn 4057.private/lab06_dev_ux.031107-1900 fake?

Post by ATeamInc »

I recently found a photo of this build which actually looks realistic, but I'm not sure.
It appears to have aero similar to 4074, and a background that I've never seen before(?).
Actually, I am not entirely sure of the build number, maybe 4057.private/lab06_dev_ux.?(?????-1960?). The screenshot's resolution is REALLY low, and it appears to be showcased somewhere. The build tag from were I got it actually is the buildtag 4057.private/lab06_dev_ux.031107-1900. Maybe we shold build new facts about this build off this photo rather than the builddate we have?

EDIT: I remembered where I saw this walpaper, this is a walpaper from 4050 with auora!

EDIT 2: I noticed that the Start button does have the text "Start". Strange. However I still believe that this is real but I don't really know.
Last edited by ATeamInc on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
<!--Placeholder-->

LuLu

Re: Why is Longhorn 4057.private/lab06_dev_ux.031107-1900 fa

Post by LuLu »

its a photo, not a screenshot
and both can be faked so easily

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

LuLu wrote:its a photo, not a screenshot
and both can be faked so easily
At this angle, I don't think so.
<!--Placeholder-->

oscareczek
FTP Access

Post by oscareczek »

So you suggest you can't just make a full-screen fake, show it on the screen and make a photo from specific angle?

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

oscareczek wrote:So you suggest you can't just make a full-screen fake, show it on the screen and make a photo from specific angle?
I don't understand why would someone waste his time and do that. If you think this is fake, prove it.
Even if the start button has the word "Start", since the removal of "Start" was in the 405x range, maybe they were using an older set of features?
<!--Placeholder-->

oscareczek
FTP Access

Post by oscareczek »

First, here's the photo in slightly better quality:
The photo claims to be from lab06 build and as we all know, it's the UI (or Desktop) lab. Can you tell me, how an element of UI can be outdated in a build created by a lab who was taking care of redesigning? It's even more doubtful if you look at the exact lab name: it says "ux." Taskbar is definitely part of User Experience, don't you think?
The other things that bother me are IE logo with the ring looking gold (I, obviously, can't be sure, because the image quality is poor… maybe on purpose?) and WMP looking like 10 in Quick Launch. Here's how these two look in 4053 and 4074:
First build of Vista with IE7 and WMP10 icons is 6.0.5270.9, compiled in December 2005, two years after this build claims to be compiled.
And lastly: no build with this lab (private/lab06_dev_ux) was ever leaked or even photographed.

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

Let me break this up into several portions:
oscareczek wrote:...
The photo claims to be from lab06 build and as we all know, it's the UI (or Desktop) lab. Can you tell me, how an element of UI can be outdated in a build created by a lab who was taking care of redesigning? It's even more doubtful if you look at the exact lab name: it says "ux." Taskbar is definitely part of User Experience, don't you think?
Well, I kinda agree with that. But maybe because the buildlab might be a different one? (Due to the dev ux part)
oscareczek wrote: The other things that bother me are IE logo with the ring looking gold (I, obviously, can't be sure, because the image quality is poor… maybe on purpose?) and WMP looking like 10 in Quick Launch. Here's how these two look in 4053 and 4074:
First build of Vista with IE7 and WMP10 icons is 6.0.5270.9, compiled in December 2005, two years after this build claims to be compiled.
Well the IE logo is not golden, it is due to glare. And that doesn't appear like WMP, as it looks like it is missing the colors around it.
oscareczek wrote: And lastly: no build with this lab (private/lab06_dev_ux) was ever leaked or even photographed.
There's build 4089 and a 3xxx build IIRC.
<!--Placeholder-->

oscareczek
FTP Access

Post by oscareczek »

1. But again, this exact lab is where these changes should have been made. Judging by being in lab06 and "ux" in build tag, it's just impossible that they didn't have the latest explorer.exe version.
2. WMP logo can be missing colours "due to glare," as you stated. Show me the icon you think this is.
3. Hmm, yeah, I overlooked that. This can't be a proof then.
There's one other thing that bothers me: the only other website I could find this image is some wordpress blog with a post dated 2009 and already claiming it's fake. What is the history of this image?

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

oscareczek wrote:1. But again, this exact lab is where these changes should have been made. Judging by being in lab06 and "ux" in build tag, it's just impossible that they didn't have the latest explorer.exe version
2. WMP logo can be missing colours "due to glare," as you stated. Show me the icon you think this is.
3. Hmm, yeah, I overlooked that. This can't be a proof then.
There's one other thing that bothers me: the only other website I could find this image is some wordpress blog with a post dated 2009 and already claiming it's fake. What is the history of this image?
1. Take a look at this photo of WinHEC '04:
By then they should have removed the Start word, as this took place at the time of 4051~ era.
2. Maybe a camera sort-of icon, I don't really know.
3. Same goes for a supposed Longhorn obviously fake image, 5033, which appeared at WinHEC '04
I don't know from where did this come, but until we know, this build is not confirmed.
<!--Placeholder-->

oscareczek
FTP Access

Post by oscareczek »

1. I can't see build tag, therefore I don't know what lab this is. If it's main, then it isn't surprising.
2. It's round for me, it can be WMP.
3. Yes, that's true, until everything clears up, I can say it's fake.

Valerio
FTP Access

Post by Valerio »

Well yeah, it could look either fake or real, and if it's a fake it's a well done one lol. I personally believe it's fake, and here's why: if you take a deep look at the preview pane, you can clearly see that the background should be the animated aurora one, the one that gets activated when you select the Aero theme in Longhorn, and considering this build looks like to have full Aero, it sounds legit for it to have that animated background, right? Then why does it look like that the background is a static one, like the one included in mods such as Longhorn 2008? I mean, the aurora stripes in both windows' preview panes seem to be in the exact same position. And yes, the WMP icon in the Quick Launch tile looks like WMP 10's one. Then, I don't think that Longhorn has ever had a start button like that, none of the leaked builds include that button, either officially or buried in some files. That start button looks like the one from Longhorn Reloaded honestly. The only official start button known is the glass one without the word "start", like in build 4074 and in the build shown at PDC '03. And, last one, I don't think that the glass notification toast is legit too, I don't think Microsoft ever planned them to have such big icons, considering that every build leaked contains those toasts with small icons. And moreover, why would Longhorn display that yellow shield icon with an exclamation mark? If I'm not wrong that icon was introduced with XP SP2 (you know, when Microsoft added all those security stuff), which hadn't been made at Longhorn's time yet. Oh, and those WinHEC 2004 pictures are concepts, there were a lot of concepts like that. That concept with the Slate theme even lacks the button to minimize the Sidebar lol.

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

Valerio wrote:Well yeah, it could look either fake or real, and if it's a fake it's a well done one lol. There are a few things that bother me anyway: if you take a deep look at the preview pane, you can clearly see that the background should be the animated aurora one, the one that gets activated when you select the Aero theme in Longhorn (and considering this build looks like to have full Aero, it sounds legit for it to be that animated background), right? Then why does it look like that the background is a static one, like the one included in mods such as Longhorn 2008? I mean, the aurora stripes in both windows' preview panes seem to be in the exact same position. And yes, the WMP icon in the Quick Launch tile looks like WMP 10's one. Then, I don't think that Longhorn has ever had a start button like that, none of the leaked builds include that, either officially or buried in some files. That start button looks like the one from Longhorn Reloaded. The only official start button known is the glass one without the word "start", like in build 4074 and in the build shown at PDC '03. And the last one, I don't think that the glass notification toast is legit too, I don't think Microsoft ever planned them to have such big icons, and moreover, why would Longhorn display that yellow shield icon with an exclamation mark? If I'm not wrong that icon was introduced with XP SP2 (you know, when Microsoft added all those security stuff), which hadn't been made at Longhorn's time yet.
I guess the only logical explation that i can provide is that this build was extremely private and thus used stuff that were ported to XP SP2 later, such as the WMP and the notification icons? Maybe that's the reason it does not look so real? Since these stuff were either never seen before or seen in later builds, as the buildname suggests, this is an extremely private branch that was always focusing on user experiance?
<!--Placeholder-->

Valerio
FTP Access

Post by Valerio »

@ATeamInc Yep, that's the only plausible explanation I guess. I still think it's fake though, my instinct keeps telling me that :P

EDIT: Oh, now that I think about it, builds up to 4066 have the large preview pane by default (it's disabled in 4066, but can be enabled, it's as large as in the previous builds by default, like 4053/51/42 etc., in order to show all those tasks), while 4074 and later have the smaller preview pane by default with the glossy big buttons. So it makes sense for that build to have the large preview pane, being prior to 4066. Also, 4066 is the only know one to have the glass notification toasts working, which were broken in 4074, so it could make sense for that build, prior to 4066, to have the glass notification toasts working. Still have no idea on the big icon in the notification, but whatever.

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

Valerio wrote:...That start button looks like the one from Longhorn Reloaded honestly....
I analyzed Longhorn Reloaded for a bit, and then I came out to this conclusion:
1. The "Start" font is different
2. The tile spacing and order is different
3. L. Reloaded doesn't include that sort-of Auora effect when aero is active.
4. L. Reloaded doesn't include the WMP icon we're all questioning about; nor does it put it on the sidebar by default.
5. L. Reloaded does not feature the large notifications we see here.
Probably the reason they are similar is due to the connection to 4074? Since this build features full aero and some strange stuff, like the notifications and the weird icons, we're still not sure about its authenticity.
Anyways, the jpeg metadata shows a file altering date (the time when this was uploaded) of 2012, and a megapixel resolution of 0.193. It looks like an image taken with an '03 era cellphone, and not an image that was taken in '12. Still, if this is a fake, then it is really an elaborate one. And if this image is not even seen except in 1 place, then why make a fake? Fakes should usually be bloating the internet, right?

EDIT: Take a look at 4089's screenshot. It appears to have differences with .. say build 4093. The taskbar, the desktop, and even the sidebar. This supports my claim of the "private" lab. Actually, 4089 has a black taskbar ( ? ), a help and support icon that is seen in post-reset builds, and a different clock tile for the sidebar. Then why isn't 4089 a fake?
<!--Placeholder-->

Valerio
FTP Access

Post by Valerio »

That 4089 has the Aero theme activated, and it looks like the same if you activate it in build 4093 too (buggy black taskbar). You can customize the Clock tile since build 4074 if you go to the Clock tile properties, and so you can in 4093 and 4089 it seems. What makes me believe 4057 could be fake is especially that notification toast, since I've never seen one like that before. The rest is ok, not sure about that WMP icon. Oh, I was wondering now, if the notification toasts in Longhorn were always on top of the windows or not. Somebody should check that.

LuLu

Post by LuLu »

the 4:3 LCD photo is from athens prototypes

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

Valerio wrote:... What makes me believe 4057 could be fake is especially that notification toast, since I've never seen one like that before. The rest is ok, not sure about that WMP icon. Oh, I was wondering now, if the notification toasts in Longhorn were always on top of the windows or not. Somebody should check that.
<!--Placeholder-->

Valerio
FTP Access

Post by Valerio »

Awww, I forgot about the Hillel's demo! Well it could make sense then, but still I believe more in what we found in real builds rather than concepts. Anyway I think we analyzed as much as possible about that build 4057's screenshot, I really don't know what to say about it anymore. Let's just not forget that the site where that picture come from clearly said that the build is fake.

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

Valerio wrote:Awww, I forgot about the Hillel's demo! Well it could make sense then, but still I believe more in what we found in real builds rather than concepts. Anyway I think we analyzed as much as possible about that build 4057's screenshot, I really don't know what to say about it anymore. Let's just not forget that the site where that picture come from clearly said that the build is fake.
Maybe by referring to the date and not the photo? I don't really know. I still believe that this was showcased somewhere. (If you take a look at BetaWiki actually, I confirmed 3-4 builds and provided info, just becauee they were showcased at conferences, particluary 5087, 5059.vbl_ux_dev_checkin (a new build!), 5060.vbl_wcp_avalon,...) I guess if I dig deep back I might be able to find the source, idk. (Since 5087 followed the same story of 1 photo and no info available about it?)
A way you can help is tell me the conferences that happened in 2003-2004 which showcased Longhorn and then I'll dig up some info.
<!--Placeholder-->

XaddaGamer

Post by XaddaGamer »

Who did make private build 4057 and even fake?

PeterFalk

Post by PeterFalk »

XaddaGamer wrote:Who did make private build 4057 and even fake?
Nobody made these fakes, assembly 4057 real, I know the owner who has in the collection all private assemblies from the legendary PDС 2003. So do not argue - it's all real

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

PeterFalk wrote:
Nobody made these fakes, assembly 4057 real, I know the owner who has in the collection all private assemblies from the legendary PDС 2003. So do not argue - it's all real
I could say exactly the same thing and the claim would be just as verifiable as yours is.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

PeterFalk

Post by PeterFalk »

AlphaBeta wrote:
PeterFalk wrote:
I could say exactly the same thing and the claim would be just as verifiable as yours is.
Do you want to argue with me? I assure you, it's pointless. Are these assemblies on hand or are you waiting for confirmation in the form of a leak to the network? This will never come from a word.

DJ Deedahx
FTP Access

Post by DJ Deedahx »

PeterFalk wrote:
Fairly speaking, I'm not inclined to believe your arrogance will lead anyone to believe your claims.

And secondly... >"Do you want to argue with me? I assure you, it's pointless."

Then I don't see any viable reason for you to repeat yourself. I believe you might as well PROVE the fact that you have connections to the mysterious owner holding the key to the myriads of unreleased assembly files you speak of?
86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager
Now known as DDX(official) on most places on the Internet.

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

This will be the only warning. Keep posts on topic.