Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Post Reply
Random_User
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 1136
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:48 am

Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by Random_User »

This is not a recent discovery, but is something I've noticed approximately 12 years ago.

I had Microsoft Narrator running while shutting down Windows XP, and it said something along the lines of "Windows Longhorn, Windows Longhorn client".

I am not entirely sure that that was what I heard. I may have misheard it. Note that I was using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 at the time.

That is interesting if in fact I have heard it correctly, as it would indicate some Longhorn resources being imported to Windows XP Service Pack 1 during its development. It would be even more groundbreaking if it turns out that the reference was present in Windows XP RTM, since the RTM build of Windows XP was compiled before any known or even suspected builds of Longhorn.

prayaas1998
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:21 am
Location: Between Chair and Computer

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by prayaas1998 »

Have you tried replicating it? Would be a fun discovery!
Offtopic Comment
unless, of course, the cake is a lie. :P
:)

Random_User
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 1136
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:48 am

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by Random_User »

LOL, that was unfortunate timing involving the cake being a lie.

On a more serious note, the above story is true. I will try to replicate it as soon as practical (I am kind of busy right now). I don't remember all of the details, but there may have been another nonresponsive window involved which looked dark with round edges (though this may be entirely separate from what I mentioned above). I didn't know this at the time, but that aspect of the window somewhat resembled the Longhorn winver.

EDIT: That window may have been either Microsoft Narrator or Utility Manager.

Konno
User avatar
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:52 pm

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by Konno »

Well since Longhorn was in development during SP1's release it seems very likely that it was an accidental import to XP; that or it was done intentionally for some under-the-hood stuff. :D
"Please Mr DJ get heavy on the bass! Gonna rock this party, gonna rock this place!"

Neptune5096
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by Neptune5096 »

Well, the development of Windows Longhorn started in May 2001, and Windows XP was released in August 2001, so it could be a reference in the code, or Longhorn was originally gonna be the beta for XP or something. Idk.

AlphaBeta
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 2172
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by AlphaBeta »

Neptune5096 wrote:... or Longhorn was originally gonna be the beta for XP or something. Idk.
That is absolutely false. Longhorn was always going to succeed XP.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Image

ATeamInc
FTP Access
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 pm
Location: GMT+2 w/dst
Contact:

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by ATeamInc »

Some of the Longhorn components got ported to XP SP2 btw, like the icons, security center, etc.. Both were developed at the same time (post reset IIRC).
<!--Placeholder-->

BloxmineXL
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by BloxmineXL »

Is nobody going to post concrete evidence?
Who cares if Windows XP is unsupported by Microsoft, hackers don't target it because it's old.
If you just browse the internet like a responsible person, and if you install an antivirus, you'll probably not get viruses.
-That was my rant, thank you lol-

AlphaBeta
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 2172
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by AlphaBeta »

BloxmineXL wrote:Is nobody going to post concrete evidence?
Concrete evidence of what?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Image

LarryTN7722
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:30 pm
Location: 6 degrees north, 102 degrees east

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by LarryTN7722 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
BloxmineXL wrote:Is nobody going to post concrete evidence?
Concrete evidence of what?
Concrete evidence of Windows Longhorn references in Windows XP SP1, SP2 and SP3.
Michael Jackson (1958-forever)
Windows 7 (2009-forever)
Legends don't rest in peace, they rest in power! But when abbreviated, it's still R.I.P.
Long live my legends!

ATeamInc
FTP Access
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 pm
Location: GMT+2 w/dst
Contact:

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by ATeamInc »

LarryTN7722 wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:
BloxmineXL wrote:Is nobody going to post concrete evidence?
Concrete evidence of what?
Concrete evidence of Windows Longhorn references in Windows XP SP1, SP2 and SP3.
Isn't the security center present in Longhorn 5112 the same as the one found in XP SP2 betas? What about IE 7? WMP?
<!--Placeholder-->

ReflectiaX
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by ReflectiaX »

Random_User wrote:This is not a recent discovery, but is something I've noticed approximately 12 years ago.

I had Microsoft Narrator running while shutting down Windows XP, and it said something along the lines of "Windows Longhorn, Windows Longhorn client".

I am not entirely sure that that was what I heard. I may have misheard it. Note that I was using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 at the time.
Out of curiosity, what made you think of this ~12-year-old memory? 12 years ago would put the event happening at ~2006. With that being the year Vista was released, would you say it's likely you had at some point at least researched Windows Longhorn--possibly even downloaded files in regards to it?

With how Narrator works, it's much more likely that you already had something up in a web browser (maybe a search result or something with "Windows Longhorn" in the text of the page) that Narrator referenced for whatever reason while shutting down.

September 2002 was XPSP1's release date, which would put the timeframe of your memory as far back as 16 years instead of ~12. If that's the case, then, since Longhorn's development was well under way and publicly known and discussed by that point, I still think the more likely cause would be you having something in an opened text document, web page, or something with Longhorn--of which Narrator then read while you were shutting down.

Who knows? You might have even had the text "Windows Longhorn" somewhere on a webpage that was completely unrelated to something you had searched for (for instance, maybe you were on a tech. forum or business tech. site like ZDNet), and Narrator just so happened to pick up on the Longhorn bit and read it aloud for whatever reason.
That is interesting if in fact I have heard it correctly, as it would indicate some Longhorn resources being imported to Windows XP Service Pack 1 during its development. It would be even more groundbreaking if it turns out that the reference was present in Windows XP RTM, since the RTM build of Windows XP was compiled before any known or even suspected builds of Longhorn.
Personally, I'm not so confident this is what you've posited. The way teams were structured internally, there was no reason for code base cross-pollination from Longhorn to XP. It went the other way around (generally, that is; no telling what might have happened with code at any given point, though).

Plus, from an enthusiast perspective, when word of Longhorn hit, we all scoured the bejesus out of every binary available to look for clues. Windows XP (and subsequent service packs), MSN Messenger, etc., etc. Naturally, there still might have been something that everyone missed, but there are just too many reasons and other possible explanations to the contrary than for me to think your experience was the result of some random Longhorn reference existing in the SP1 binaries.

However, if someone insists on checking, you could extract and unpack all files from an XPSP1 ISO, then do a binary scan through every file looking for the string "Longhorn" (non-case-sensitive, and all character formats). Presumably, Narrator would have read something that was in a plain-text format, so a grepping process for strings should yield success if any references are present.
Visit BetaCollector.com for rare and unique beta-related content!

Image

Random_User
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 1136
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:48 am

Re: Possible reference to Longhorn in Windows XP

Post by Random_User »

ReflectiaX wrote:Out of curiosity, what made you think of this ~12-year-old memory? 12 years ago would put the event happening at ~2006. With that being the year Vista was released, would you say it's likely you had at some point at least researched Windows Longhorn--possibly even downloaded files in regards to it?

With how Narrator works, it's much more likely that you already had something up in a web browser (maybe a search result or something with "Windows Longhorn" in the text of the page) that Narrator referenced for whatever reason while shutting down.
I did in fact research Longhorn some time between late 2005 and the release of Windows Vista. However, if I recall correctly, every webpage I visited referred to "Windows Vista" -- not "Longhorn". Though I do recall reading the theosfiles page about Windows Vista, which has a reference to WinFS being removed from "Longhorn".

On the other hand, I am pretty sure that Microsoft Narrator only reads the window title (unless you click somewhere within the webpage viewing area of the browser).

Like I said however, I may have misheard it. It may have been "Windows Logon", or something else.
ReflectiaX wrote:Plus, from an enthusiast perspective, when word of Longhorn hit, we all scoured the bejesus out of every binary available to look for clues. Windows XP (and subsequent service packs), MSN Messenger, etc., etc.
I've just thought of something. The reference may have been in some update.

Post Reply