Windows Update on Windows 98?

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
ATeamInc
FTP Access

Windows Update on Windows 98?

Post by ATeamInc »

Is Windows 98 still compatible with Windows Update. When I access the site, it hangs while checking for the ActiveX controller.
<!--Placeholder-->

user99672
Donator

Re: Windows Update on Windows 98?

Post by user99672 »

I'd like to ask what you're expecting... there's no magic fix, and Microsoft will not revert WU.
Nothing.

Maza
FTP Access

Post by Maza »

ATeamInc wrote:Is Windows 98 still compatible with Windows Update. When I access the site, it hangs while checking for the ActiveX controller.
It is not compatible and has not been compatible for at least 5 years.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Cebion
FTP Access

Post by Cebion »

Also often if you updated Windows 98, the updates often broke more than it added to usability.

AeroFusion

Post by AeroFusion »

Do you happen to have the Internet Explorer 6 update installed? You may have to manually install it. If I remember correctly, Microsoft updated their minimum requirements for the old WU site to be IE 6.

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

Well yes and I as I remember, gives an error during the initialization. Needs Windows Update 3.0 Agent which I don't think exsists for Windows 98 (unless someone had created a patched version, which I hope).
<!--Placeholder-->

AeroFusion

Post by AeroFusion »

Have you tried just using the unofficial service pack 3? Note that you must be using 98SE iirc, and that you need to have DX9.0c installed first. Not too sure if this will work, but it may be easier than manually downloading all the updates from WU (which may not even work).

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

Cebion wrote:Also often if you updated Windows 98, the updates often broke more than it added to usability.
Excellent point. Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 98 cannot load Google and many other sites. However, Internet Explorer 5.5 and older versions can load Google and other sites just fine.

By the way, Windows Update for Windows 95 (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/Stat ... efault.htm), and Windows 98 (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/wind ... x?ln=en-us) broke back in 2011. Ironically, the v6 site still works for Windows 2000 and Windows XP: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/wind ... x?ln=en-us
Last edited by sdfox7 on Wed May 30, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThinkPad 600E, T23, T41, T61p. ASUS X555 A12 Quad Core 16GB RAM Win10/Win7
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

I found that it is better just to use this: http://sdfox7.com/98/Win98Update2006.exe . And also I did once install in the end unofficial service pack 3, but that really slowed and bugged it down.
<!--Placeholder-->

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

ATeamInc wrote:I found that it is better just to use this: http://sdfox7.com/98/Win98Update2006.exe . And also I did once install in the end unofficial service pack 3, but that really slowed and bugged it down.
ATeamInc, thanks for citing my link. I uploaded that file several years ago, and find that to be the best way of updating Windows 98 if you just want the security updates and no other enhancements or improvements added.

I originally found that package on the website ftp://tech.wsd1.org/pub/info/Archived/P ... s2008.html which has since been taken down. I'm glad I archived it while I had the chance. You can't even access it through the Internet Archive since it was an FTP.
ThinkPad 600E, T23, T41, T61p. ASUS X555 A12 Quad Core 16GB RAM Win10/Win7
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

Zacchi4k
FTP Access

Post by Zacchi4k »

ATeamInc wrote:Is Windows 98 still compatible with Windows Update. When I access the site, it hangs while checking for the ActiveX controller.
I think it won't work without IE6 SP3, which W98 doesn't support

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

Who told you that? Windows 2000 works with Windows Update with the WUAgent3 and IE 6 SP1!

Sent from my SM-P585 using Tapatalk
<!--Placeholder-->

Zacchi4k
FTP Access

Post by Zacchi4k »

ATeamInc wrote:Who told you that? Windows 2000 works with Windows Update with the WUAgent3 and IE 6 SP1!

I recalled it was only working with SP3 on Windows 2000

ATeamInc
FTP Access

Post by ATeamInc »

Zacchi4k wrote:
ATeamInc wrote:Who told you that? Windows 2000 works with Windows Update with the WUAgent3 and IE 6 SP1!

I recalled it was only working with SP3 on Windows 2000
There is no SP3 for IE6 on Windows 2000. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne ... %20History

<!--Placeholder-->

Zacchi4k
FTP Access

Post by Zacchi4k »

I checked and yes, 2000 only supports SP1.
I got confused because, once again, WU broke on my current Windows 2000 VM, but yes it was working on the older one
EDIT: Ok turns out I forgot about the root certificate update
EDIT 2: nvm still broken

Windows OS
FTP Access

Post by Windows OS »

I know this is a big bump, but I feel like the question wasn't properly answered:

Windows 98 and ME used a completely separate version of the Windows Update site compared to newer releases of Windows NT 5.x (so Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, XP, and 2003). Windows 98/ME used version 4 while later releases of NT 5.x uses version 6. This is due to architectural differences of how Windows 98/ME handled updates compared to later releases of NT 5.x (the info I've found on how exactly it worked is a bit of a mess, but basically XP and 2000 SP3 introduced a reworked update system that never made it to 98/ME).

Microsoft stopped hosting version 4 a couple of years ago, causing the redirect it used to automatically send people to version 4 to send people in a loop (between the version 6 link, the version 4 link, and back to the version 6 link, and so on). But, the redirect recently completely broke, so it now sends people to version 6. However, it cannot work, not because you don't have a needed update, but due to the previously mentioned differences between 98/ME and NT 5.x which simply cannot be worked around.

Like what other people mentioned, the best way to update a 9x system is to use an Unofficial Service Pack.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

KNN

Post by KNN »

Once I remember there was unofficial conversion which brings some of the good Windows ME features but without known bugs (there were used some patches for example with processing big files and stuff).
Also the Dos support. 98se2me I guess it was called.
God made man, but Internet made them equal