BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 11h, 38m | CPU: 66% | MEM: 6132MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:14 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Hello all,

Due to feedback from the previous topic, we have decided to make some changes to the requirements which are listed below:

- There is no longer a minimum post count required.
- Users will be required to make a minimum of 1 properly archived release to get FTP access.

However, to be fair to users who registered recently, this will apply from Monday 28th July. Until then the current 10 posts with no unique release will apply.

Since BetaArchive is a preservation community, we feel this is what we should be focusing on rather than post count. If we were to focus on post count we feel this could lead to more spam, off-topic posts and less effort put into posts that could be more detailed. Removing this requirement in theory should improve the post quality.

All files will be checked for authenticity by mrpijey before access is granted. We will also provide a means of seeing what the archive currently holds so you do not upload duplicate material.

=======================================================================

To have your contribution accepted the following criteria has to be met:

1. The software has to be properly dumped using recommended software:
     Floppy: Raw image using WinImage, dd or similar software producing an img/ima file. [guide coming soon] If you have a KryoFlux device (or similiar) a stream dump will be preferred.
     CD/DVD: Alcohol 120%, CloneCD or CloneDVD. [Guide]

2. You have to provide photographic evidence that the software is original:
     Where possible, provide unaltered full high resolution scans of the media, packaging, covers and additional material (preferred) [Guide]
     Produce a high quality photo of the original product to prove it is original.

3. You need to properly name the release with full title, version, year of manufacturing and language (where known).
     Any additional information should be added into an additional textfile. Example: Microsoft Windows 3.1 (3.10.103) (1992-03-10) [English].

4. All material must be compressed into an archive file before upload.
     RAR and 7z are acceptable archive formats. Use at least 1% recovery record in case of bit errors during upload.

Quick instruction on FTP access application:

1. Prepare your contribution(s).

2. Upload to FTP.

3. Apply for FTP access.

You will be notified per PM if your contribution was accepted or rejected.

All uploads will be checked and accepted or rejected at our discretion and judgement. You may provide as many additional contributions as you wish. To increase the chance of your contribution being accepted be sure to make full scans as well as a proper dump with the preferred software (WinImage, Alcohol120%). Make sure your contribution is of some quality, shareware discs, driver discs and other less important titles will automatically be rejected. Contact mrpijey if you are in doubt.

Failure to complete the above requirements could mean your upload is rejected or your application delayed. If you have a question about an existing release or how to properly prepare your contribution be sure to contact mrpijey before you attempt your upload.

We hope this will lead to improvement in the community in respects of the types of posts we receive as well as us now looking for more files to add to our archive.

As always, questions and feedback is welcome.

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
I'd prefer the use of the read tab of rawwritewin rather than winimage. Mainly due to ease of use (choose read tab, select floppy drive, choose save location, click read).

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:22 pm 
Administrator

Whatever works as long as it creates a proper raw image file of a floppy. WinImage has its usages too, such as batch operations etc.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS2 4.0 FP12
Andy wrote:
2. You have to provide photographic evidence that the software is original:
     Where possible, provide unaltered full high resolution scans of the media, packaging, covers and additional material (preferred) [guide coming soon]
     Produce a photo of the original product to prove it is original.

I have an ISO of Borland C++ 5.02. It's complete and fully functional; I use it. But I don't remember where I got it, and I don't have any media or packaging. But you're saying you don't want that? Just asking, to be sure what you want / don't want ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 pm 
Administrator

If it's a better copy than what we have already then yes, it might be accepted. The goal here is to improve the collection, replace bad dumps with better ones, or add to them with new or better scanned artwork etc.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:37 pm 
Donator

As WinImage, Alcohol 120%, CloneCD and CloneDVD are all commercial pieces of software, I have two questions:

As 'similar software' RawWriteWin floppy IMGs will be accepted, I assume? Already answered.
Will BIN/CUE (from ImgBurn, etc.) and NRG also be acceptable for DVD/CD dumps, as stated in mrpijeys Abandonware Guidelines?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- Knuckx: I think BIN/CUE and NRG save less data than MDF/MDS, and that's why MDF/MDS is preferred.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Knuckx wrote:
As WinImage, Alcohol 120%, CloneCD and CloneDVD are all commercial pieces of software, I have two questions:

As 'similar software' RawWriteWin floppy IMGs will be accepted, I assume? Already answered.
Will BIN/CUE (from ImgBurn, etc.) and NRG also be acceptable for DVD/CD dumps, as stated in mrpijeys Abandonware Guidelines?

Offtopic Comment
BTW Alcohol 120% has a freeware version.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
rhobariii wrote:
Offtopic Comment
BTW Alcohol 120% has a freeware adware malware version.

Fixed that for you.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
hounsell wrote:
rhobariii wrote:
Offtopic Comment
BTW Alcohol 120% has a freeware adware malware version.

Fixed that for you.

If you are not stupid enough to click the next button when its asking to download adware you will not get any.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:50 pm 
Administrator

I've installed the freeware version and didn't find any malware in it, nor did I get any special popups asking me to install any unrelated software...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 95B
I think the problem is that there will be people who only upload once, never post anything and never again upload something, and just have access to the ftp. I actually preferred you have to make some posts before you get access, to make sure you're not here for the ftp only.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
mrpijey wrote:
I've installed the freeware version and didn't find any malware in it, nor did I get any special popups asking me to install any unrelated software...

On my version I just kept clicking "Disagree" and didn't get any adware.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Well done, Andy! This is a great idea. I mean, yes, you will have to work a little harder, and show more information,
But this is a great way to clean up the forum a little, so we don't get thousands of offers, like now, on the homepage.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 95B
computebrute wrote:
Well done, Andy! This is a great idea. I mean, yes, you will have to work a little harder, and show more information,
But this is a great way to clean up the forum a little, so we don't get thousands of offers, like now, on the homepage.

I don't see the point with the offers on the homepage, I mean, why do you create a topic for it if you can just upload it to the ftp? Anyone has access to the upload ftp (correct me if I'm wrong).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS2 4.0 FP12
Does anybody except me remember BBS upload / download ratios? "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it" ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Jensvde wrote:
computebrute wrote:

I don't see the point with the offers on the homepage, I mean, why do you create a topic for it if you can just upload it to the ftp? Anyone has access to the upload ftp (correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe to save mrpijey the trouble of looking through the upload ftp to find duplicates?
You can just file an offer and another FTP Access member could look for a duplicate.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 pm 
Administrator

trifle wrote:
Does anybody except me remember BBS upload / download ratios? "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it" ...
Yes, that's why we don't have it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS2 4.0 FP12
Maybe my point wasn't obvious ...

On most BBS you could download a few files without obligation, but after a certain point, you had to upload something, to get further download access. It was a good concept: new users who had nothing to offer were still welcome, and it prevented abuse by greedy hogs. Once new users became engaged with the system and its operator, they were more likely to upload something.

A good lesson in history I think ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, it's a good function and the FTP server supports it, but we've chosen not to use a ratio system.

I've added a guide on dumping a disc with Alcohol 120% to the forum.

I've also added Alcohol 120% FE to the \(Misc) Tools\Dumping section on the FTP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 95B
rhobariii wrote:
Maybe to save mrpijey the trouble of looking through the upload ftp to find duplicates?
You can just file an offer and another FTP Access member could look for a duplicate.

You're right, I never thought about it in that way... but again if you upload it he could just delete it if it's already in the collection? What if it's a better copy than the archive currently has? Then it would never be uploaded because another member said it's already in the archive?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:49 pm 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:
Yeah, it's a good function and the FTP server supports it, but we've chosen not to use a ratio system.

I've added a guide on dumping a disc with Alcohol 120% to the forum.

I've also added Alcohol 120% FE to the \(Misc) Tools\Dumping section on the FTP.

I believe you need to host it here on the site rather than FTP. How people who'll need it to image their CDs/DVDs will download it and use it? Or what purpose does it serve there?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS2 4.0 FP12
An old timey BBS had three major functions:

a) files
b) messaging
c) live chat

Not necessarily in that order, depending on the individual; fundamentally similar to BA. On a BBS like PCBoard, upload/download ratios were a well developed feature. I didn't know FTP servers could do the same. Not saying that you should, just remembering my past ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (take 2)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 pm 
Administrator

Jensvde wrote:
rhobariii wrote:

You're right, I never thought about it in that way... but again if you upload it he could just delete it if it's already in the collection? What if it's a better copy than the archive currently has? Then it would never be uploaded because another member said it's already in the archive?
I think it's better if I check it since I can quickly discover if the new uploaded copy is better than the existing one. I am the only one with direct local access to the entire archive, and since I process all the files myself it's just better than I take a look.

Ahmed Jebara wrote:
I believe you need to host it here on the site rather than FTP. How people who'll need it to image their CDs/DVDs will download it and use it? Or what purpose does it serve there?
Yes of course, it was added to the FTP for our current members.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Contributions changes (Revised)        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:57 pm 
Donator

mrpijey: You seem to misunderstood my post. I mean for new members who don't have yet an access to the FTP, how they'll be able to download it? And if they had it installed and got FTP access then, they won't need to download it again from the FTP.

Top  Profile