Windows 2000 Update Packages?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Twilly

Post by Twilly »

I've browsed through many pages of google, and have tried WSUS and Windows Updates Down loader, but no luck in finding a place where all the win2k security updates are in bulk. I am not requesting particular updates, but out of curiosity is there any repositories online or solutions anyone has for this, seeing as the MS sites pages to almost all updates are gone.

tl;dr: where does one acquire win2k updates (kb) in bulk?

hinatahyuuga
Donator

Re: Windows 2000 Update Packages?

Post by hinatahyuuga »

Maybe a search about Win2k unoficial SP5?
But for separate KB.. i dont know.
ImageImage

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

windows2000.tk?

awesomeguy

Post by awesomeguy »

To install updates in Windows 2000, follow the instructions in the video linked below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uDXtJqdcKM

sparcdr

Post by sparcdr »

I've explained this elsewhere but basically it's this:

Install root certificates / revocation update by hand by extracting the rootsupd.exe and run the commands normally invoked by the wrapper. Install SP4 and IE6SP1a (Offline) then SRU1. Reset IE security to default on all trust levels. Add *.update.microsoft.com to IE trusted hosts list. Export the Windows Update pem from a computer able to browse it over the now enforced HTTPS (Doesn't have to be IE) and import it into Trusted Root Certificate Authority on the W2K box. Downgrade the ie advanced settings (SSL section) to accept TLS 1.0 and no longer supported/trusted protocols as well as disable CRL verification in that section. Install the latest Windows Installer (WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe) Attempt to use WU again and install the activex cabs when prompted. Tried this about 5 times in the last year or two.

Option B is an official service pack or an extract of offline updates (Windows Update Offline Installer or similar, which was depreciated version 6.6.2, and I have yet to find a complete dump of any of them) knowing that Microsoft has begun and just about finished stripping all 32-bit updates for XP and prior releases from their public mirrors.

Option C is to install WSUS 3.0 on a W2K3R2 or higher machine use the bundled MSDE, pre-download all of the W2K updates including "third party" (IE, etc), set the Windows update intranet location to your WSUS server in group policy and use wuauclt /detectnow to get it to start scanning. This will not include third party HCL items. The only thing for W2K useful from Microsoft in regards to W2K for needing WU at all after ~2005 was the Esoniq AudioPCI driver, which I have various copies of now anyways. I once had a complete archive of only the needed ones before losing some data on a disk, and it should not exceed 750mb including IE offline setup, SP4, SRU1 and DirectX 9.0b.

IMHO if you do batch files like I do (wusa, update.exe /quiet /norestart, etc.) you could find the raw data from WSUS on the server by watching the disk activity or eventually by searching for things by the name since it's pretty messy and sequentially/systematically use a dummy vm to throw out ones that cause the vm to brick. There are unofficial lists for updates post-support but the ones I know of (NT for example) don't generally include the filenames that correspond, in spite that now Microsoft's KB's now direct to null.

If you get WU working, write down all of the updates. This would only be valid for SP4 on IA32 due to some being roll-ups. YMMV for the same set working on older releases as it would likely cause the system to not boot if it allowed the installation and it didn't need it despite the checks normally done by the installer files and even if it doesn't it probably won't cover the whole spectrum of security updates due to the nature of rollups if they don't allow application on said earlier service packs.

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

9.0c should work fine on Win2k as well. I successfully installed the latest directx 9 on win2k sp4 with the unofficial update rollup through the directx june 2010 sdk. I find that it works better if you install it in this manner.

sparcdr

Post by sparcdr »

I created a batch updater for NT, and am still working on it so it supports all 4.x and 5.x releases. The directory structure is rather important with the way I set it up and I have unfortunately cobbled it so will need to rework it. As developer speak dictates, I will release it when it's done.

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

oscareczek wrote:windows2000.tk?
This. 100 times, this. This hosts the complete list of currently available updates for Windows 2000. I created a fully updated win2k cd today, with a combination of windows 2000 and xp embedded updates - updates released through October of this year! You can't do much better than that, especially as Microsoft has begun removing lots of updates from their update servers for older OSes.
16 years of BA experience; I refurbish old electronics, and archive diskettes with a KryoFlux. My posting history is 16 years of educated speculation and autism.

xvnlei333

Post by xvnlei333 »

win2000 sp4 update installed Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE Yes!

TL7

Post by TL7 »

awesomeguy wrote:To install updates in Windows 2000, follow the instructions in the video linked below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uDXtJqdcKM
Technet.microsoft.com and their ActiveX updater is probably down, as far as I know.
But is there an offline installer, which can deliver the updates? (also for XP.)

Vista does still support downloading updates, but no new ones are delivered.

dr.thawne

Post by dr.thawne »

There are "Unofficial Updates" and Service Packs for Windows 2000, but they are irrelevant today because everything is either HTML5 or Adobe Flash; Neither are supported on Windows 2000 even with the updates.
Dr. Eobard Thawne