Might and Magic 5: Darkside of Xeen Beta?

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
lordskylark

Might and Magic 5: Darkside of Xeen Beta?

Post by lordskylark »

Does anyone know if this is circulating anywhere?

someordinarygamers.wikia.com/wiki/Might_and_Magic:_Darkside_of_Xeen

Ludacris
Donator

Re: Might and Magic 5: Darkside of Xeen Beta?

Post by Ludacris »

I do happen to have a copy of Might and Magic anywhere around - it was a Bestseller Games Disc with I THINK Darkside of Xeen - Could be Clouds of Xeen tough. I will take a look when I am at home (which will be in three days)

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

He did ask for a BETA of it, not the RTM, check the subject header.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

pittical

Post by pittical »

Well, thanks for deleting my post, whoever felt that was necessary.

I still think this is just creepypasta and this beta doesn't exist (ie there obviously are betas of it, just not the one described in OP's link), seeing how a) the wiki itself classifies it as such and b) no other site I can find makes any mention of it, despite Xeen being a pretty popular game series.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

I have the Bestseller Games CDs (One issue had Darkside, the other had Clouds on it) and I have Darkside from the Yellowpoint CD (if anyone in Germany still remembers this one). But I haven't heard of any Betas circulating around. Maybe the people behind the Swords of Xeen "Fan"-project had something but I doubt it
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

lordskylark

Post by lordskylark »

I managed to track down one of the artists, Jon Gwyn, who worked on the game. His answer was:

"Yeah....this is laugh. We finished clouds, then started on dark side. I did most of the creature and cinematic work for dark side and was well aware of what was going on with the environments and there weren't any that were slipped into clouds, because they didn't exist yet. And, as far as I recall 3do wasnt making any demands. The horrifying visuals described sound great, and it would have been awesome to have done that, but the only reason the creatures look different from clouds to dark side was because of different artists."

lordskylark

Post by lordskylark »

Darkstar wrote:I have the Bestseller Games CDs (One issue had Darkside, the other had Clouds on it) and I have Darkside from the Yellowpoint CD (if anyone in Germany still remembers this one). But I haven't heard of any Betas circulating around. Maybe the people behind the Swords of Xeen "Fan"-project had something but I doubt it

I hate to completely revive this topic. But just curious -- are all of the demos that you mention the same as the ones which are currently posted to the internet archive?

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

lordskylark wrote:
Darkstar wrote:I have the Bestseller Games CDs (One issue had Darkside, the other had Clouds on it) and I have Darkside from the Yellowpoint CD (if anyone in Germany still remembers this one). But I haven't heard of any Betas circulating around. Maybe the people behind the Swords of Xeen "Fan"-project had something but I doubt it

I hate to completely revive this topic. But just curious -- are all of the demos that you mention the same as the ones which are currently posted to the internet archive?
I have uploaded the Yellow Point CD on archive.org (here) but that's not exactly a "demo", it's the full version locked behind some lame early 90's pseudo-crypto. I have not yet uploaded the Bestseller Games CDs but maybe they are on IA already, I have not bothered to check. Anyway, those are also not Demos
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA