Help! Error When I Trying To Install WFWG 3.11 Build 411

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
SuriPolomareFan2003

Help! Error When I Trying To Install WFWG 3.11 Build 411

Post by SuriPolomareFan2003 »

Full Title: Help! Error When I Trying To Install Microsoft Windows 3.11 For Workgroups (''Snowball'' 3.11.411 B3)

I Tried To Install Microsoft Windows 3.11 For Workgroups (''Snowball'' 3.11.411 B3) But I Got This Error Message

Goldfish64
Donator

Re: Help! Error When I Trying To Install WFWG 3.11 Build 411

Post by Goldfish64 »

What are you installing on (emulator, virtualizer, real hardware, etc)? Details please.
Goldfish64

SuriPolomareFan2003

Post by SuriPolomareFan2003 »

Goldfish64 wrote:What are you installing on (emulator, virtualizer, real hardware, etc)? Details please.
Virtualbox So How I Will Fix It?

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

Try PCem.

TheDosProgrammer

Post by TheDosProgrammer »

I use Dosbox to solve this problem.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Windows 3.x is iffy in DOSBox, it might run or it might not, and it usually takes some time to find the right combination of settings.

- SuriPolomareFan2003: Use something that emulates the CPU rather than virtualizing it, as virtualization depends on your host CPU which seems to be unable to run Windows for Workgroups 3.11 correctly. I recommend the 86Box emulator which is my fork of PCem: http://polar.rol.im/jobs/86Box is where the automated builds are.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

sparcdr

Post by sparcdr »

I use 8086em and upstream variants and enjoy the better results due to it being able to use the extracted ROM's from the machines that were supported of those days such as the Trident TVGA8900D that we can now do under emulation. It's true that the emulator is capable of recompilation like others but it's impressive that one can perform 800x600 at 256 colours anyways on Windows 3.1 without the actual hardware present.

If you are happy with 256 colors though. With that said, I can't recommend anything but DOSBox unless there is a specific reason or input/controller that makes it necessary to use it for general use or a performance reason as it seems.

Aside from performance, integration still means a lot and DOSBox is still the better option as it can translate the differences of technology now such as Joysticks and controllers as long as they are recognized by the host that arguably can't be done today using other alternatives. I use VMware Workstation and Windows 2000 for mid to late 1990's games and because it has USB pass-thru support which is ideal if you have access to the old controllers such as the Interact Raider Pro Digital which uses a gameport to USB interface, but for others that don't know or that may not realize the importance of gameport devices or their disappearance I suppose it doesn't matter as much as it used to.

Sound and input matter just as much now as it did before especially due to respect for the limitations of that time. I provided the screenshots because they are done in a native resolution using the Trident TVGA8900D under emulation under PCem without any performance penalty. I have the disk images on my site if you want to try them under evaluation and/or replacement guidelines which is sort of the point or ideal. It really boils down to what your intentions are what your expectations are in your emulation goals.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- sparcdr: You can switch the graphics card to the Phoenix S3 Trio64, set video RAM to 4 MB, and use the Trio64 (764) drivers (I recommend v1.70 that you can find around the Internet easily) to get 1024x768x32bpp in Windows 3.1.
Aside from performance, integration still means a lot and DOSBox is still the better option as it can translate the differences of technology now such as Joysticks and controllers as long as they are recognized by the host that arguably can't be done today using other alternatives.
86Box (and even mainline PCem) has very good joystick emulation right now, that can, at least on Windows, translate a modern joystick into a variety of older joysicks.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

sparcdr

Post by sparcdr »

Battler wrote:- sparcdr: You can switch the graphics card to the Phoenix S3 Trio64, set video RAM to 4 MB, and use the Trio64 (764) drivers (I recommend v1.70 that you can find around the Internet easily) to get 1024x768x32bpp in Windows 3.1.
I'll do that. Sounds like the best possible option at the moment versus the TVGA. Thank you.