Windows XP Embedded Install

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
lukebutler111

Windows XP Embedded Install

Post by lukebutler111 »

So I finally got the disc image files for windows XP Embedded (build 2600 not the 2009 editions) (thanks to anyone who helped)

But now I'm faced with ANOTHER issue, installing! The person who I got the disc images off claimed they were genuine however the initial setup screen looked far from genuine. I had to manually type setup in the command window that popped up automatically and it just returns the message "Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components."

I have tried everything and nothing is working

Help please!!!

Goldfish64
Donator

Re: Windows XP Embedded Install

Post by Goldfish64 »

What are you installing on? You should use XP or 2000.

I would create a VM with XP Professional and use that.

EDIT: You'll want to do the Tools Setup first. If this is the screen you are talking about, it is genuine.
Goldfish64

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

Well, I'm fairly sure they were genuine. If they aren't I got duped out of a whole $2.

pittical

Post by pittical »

Wait, are you trying to boot-and-install from the CDs? That's not how XPe works. You install it like an application on a host PC. One of the discs can be booted from, you use this (i.e. an application on it) to inspect the target machine's hardware configuration and generate a profile; you then use that profile on the host pc to build an image for the target to use.

lukebutler111

Post by lukebutler111 »

I was trying to boot directly from the DVD yes, if that isn't something that I can do then is there any specific edition of Windows XP that Embedded requires to install properly?

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

You need a Windows 2000 or a Windows XP (preferred) machine to install the tools and SQL server onto. It can either be a VM or a real machine. You can't just boot off the CD.

I'm willing to walk you through this and getting the host/development system ready is step one.
Goldfish64

lukebutler111

Post by lukebutler111 »

I opened the disks on a Windows XP professional VM and installed everything that was on them and It STILL says Windows XP Professional -_-, is there something Im missing or am I just stupid?

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

It doesn't convert the host system to Embedded but rather installs the tools. Look in the start menu and see if there is Windows Embedded Studio in there.

The install.chm in the docs folder on CD1 has lots of information about installing.
Goldfish64

pittical

Post by pittical »

Apparently you missed all of my last post:
pittical wrote:You install it [XPe] like an application on a host PC. One of the discs can be booted from, you use this (i.e. an application on it) to inspect the target machine's hardware configuration and generate a profile; you then use that profile on the host pc to build an image for the target to use.
At least that's the gist of it. Take Goldfish up on his offer, or better yet read a tutorial or two on what to do to waste less of his time, since you seem to have a completely wrong idea about what "XP embedded" actually is. You might be better served with POSReady or "Windows for Legacy PCs".

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Embedded Standard 7 and newer allow booting from the DVD and generating a system on-the-fly without the need for a dev system as well as using a dev system for more in-depth builds, but WES2009 and below require a dev system with the tools and database installed.

POSReady 2009, XP FLP, and maybe XPe for POS (if that what that is even called?) can be installed right from the CD as they are pre-configured Embedded systems.
Goldfish64

lukebutler111

Post by lukebutler111 »

I think I have been misunderstood a little on the whole Windows XP Embedded front, Im looking for a way to get this

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Actually I found a tutorial here: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 39&t=34616

I'll still make up one with images and place it in the tutorial section.

EDIT: Built a nice little tutorial here: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 39&t=36246.
Goldfish64