Windows 2K with universal SATA slipstreamed

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
bluesteel649

Windows 2K with universal SATA slipstreamed

Post by bluesteel649 »

I've been having quite the difficulty installing windows 2000 on a dell mini 10v. All drivers are compatible but the SATA compatibility is causing a standstill in my progress.

Slipstreaming seems to always fail and I never successfully get past the text-mode section of the installer. Is there any possible advice in regards to this situation?

jimmsta
Donator

Re: Windows 2K with universal SATA slipstreamed

Post by jimmsta »

We don't typically handle tech support requests, but knowing a bit about this sort of issue has me intrigued to help you out.

First off, what are you trying to use to slipstream? I honestly have the most luck with HFSLIP2000, available via windows2000.tk, which happens to be the site that has all the updates linked for Windows 2000. This includes the UniATA driver, which, when slipstreamed into setup, provides excellent SATA support. nLite may also work - it's what we used back before HFSLIP existed. The reason why I prefer HFSLIP is because it's a purpose-built application (really just a very expansive script), and has been customized to work with Windows 2000 specifically.

There's even patches for the kernel to extend it beyond its original functions - support for some XP+ era programs has been added, as well as various other security and bug fixes. Windows 2000 is far from dead, even 17yrs since its release.

edit: there's an archive that contains every single patch listed on the site, located here- http://dropbox.com/sh/arouu2dzqfhwgtj/A ... Ln6tA8QmRa

I recommend the archive over the links on the site, but you do want to refer back to the updates list for proper placement of files. There's another good resource for unofficial kernel patches here: http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/ (note -- you'll need a translator, as the site is in Japanese. Patches are provided in several different languages)
16 years of BA experience; I refurbish old electronics, and archive diskettes with a KryoFlux. My posting history is 16 years of educated speculation and autism.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

If Dell's specs are correct this has a ICH7M chipset, which is supported by Intel with Matrix Storage Manager version 7.0.0.1020:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ge-Manager

You'll want to download the f6flpy3270.zip file and extract it and anything inside of it until you get down to the actual driver files (it's a floppy image).

I would try Intel's drivers first, and if those don't work then try the UniATA driver. I've installed Windows 2000 using patched drivers on ICH9M hardware which I got from the same Japanese site that jimmsta posted. I myself haven't had good success either with slipstreaming so I just use a USB floppy drive and F6.
Goldfish64

bluesteel649

Post by bluesteel649 »

Goldfish64 wrote:If Dell's specs are correct this has a ICH7M chipset, which is supported by Intel with Matrix Storage Manager version 7.0.0.1020:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ge-Manager

You'll want to download the f6flpy3270.zip file and extract it and anything inside of it until you get down to the actual driver files (it's a floppy image).

I would try Intel's drivers first, and if those don't work then try the UniATA driver. I've installed Windows 2000 using patched drivers on ICH9M hardware which I got from the same Japanese site that jimmsta posted. I myself haven't had good success either with slipstreaming so I just use a USB floppy drive and F6.
I'm using WINSETUPFROMUSB and using the option for preloading the F6 driver image. It's working greatly but I just need to manually compile an image with all the correct files including a working txtsetup.oem.

Thanks a lot for your advice, guys!

bluesteel649

Post by bluesteel649 »

Final update.

As I have worked out, it is simply impossible to install any build of NT from before XP on a Dell mini 10v for one simple reason.
Whilst the Mini does seem to run under intel's ICH7M controller, it is more or less an offshoot, the ICH7M/U; at this time, there is no pre NT 5.2 driver for this annoyingly unique version.

Drapy

Post by Drapy »

Try to connect. This is your main problem to do is.
Nope, I'm back on the same old account.