Mac OS 7.6.1 floppies on the FTP in .bin format?

Discuss System 1 to System 7, OS 8, OS 9.
Zacchi4k

Mac OS 7.6.1 floppies on the FTP in .bin format?

Post by Zacchi4k »

I downloaded the Italian Mac OS system 7.6.1 floppies from the FTP, but they come in a .bin format and neither BasiliskII nor Mini vMac can read them. If I mount them in a system 7 in both emulators, it asks to initialize them.
I've also tried to extract them with the unar utility, but the file I get is still not read.
Can anyone help me?

mrpippy

Re: Mac OS 7.6.1 floppies on the FTP in .bin format?

Post by mrpippy »

They're very likely BinHex files, you can open them in a text editor to confirm.
They'll need to be extracted before an emulator can read them. StuffIt Expander was the typical Mac utility used to extract them but there should be apps for other platforms too.

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

mrpippy wrote:They're very likely BinHex files
MacBinary most likely. BinHex is a different encoding. The disk images would be encoded in such a format to preserve the resource forks of the disk copy images.

If you want to use it in an emulator, programs that can access HFS formatted volumes can typically do the conversion for you on-the-fly (i.e. HFV explorer)

trenoparathyra95

Post by trenoparathyra95 »

I have my own issue here https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 64&t=40378 with greek versions but no extra help, advice or anything more guidance?