LH 4042 & Gefore 230m

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
yourepicfailure
Donator

LH 4042 & Gefore 230m

Post by yourepicfailure »

Now for my next one. This one pertains to 4042.lab06.
After digging around, installing updates not designed for LH(msie 4.5, msuaa), and tweaking infs, I managed to get almost all my drivers running under this build.
Except one: The graphics driver.

The install finished, and nothing went wrong. As a matter of fact, device manager states it is working properly.

You can see it is an Nvidia Geforce 230m. Everything should go as planned, but it isn't.
Under display setting, I'm stuck on VgaSave and I can't do anything to change it out.

Any ideas? This is one of the oddest issues I've seen.
No, this can't be a driver incompatibility. The newer versions(which I've tried) throw off multiple errors and outright fail unlike this version.
I am using version 195.62 driver for my hardware, nvidia geforce 230m. I can post the setupapi log if anyone needs it.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

ShadixAced

Re: LH 4042 & Gefore 230m

Post by ShadixAced »

Hello,
Try this LDDM (LongHorn Display Driver Model) : http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/vist ... nvista.exe
S.A.

Releases done so far : 21
Member of Microsoft France's House of Fans (^^)

Fuzzy_Blanket

Post by Fuzzy_Blanket »

ShadixAced wrote:Hello,
Try this LDDM (LongHorn Display Driver Model) : http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/vist ... nvista.exe
Wasn't that for 5XXX?
All hail the almighty PRIUS!!!

ShadixAced

Post by ShadixAced »

I do not know to be honest Fuzzy, but this might help him/her to fix his problem.
S.A.

Releases done so far : 21
Member of Microsoft France's House of Fans (^^)

DarkerJ
Donator

Post by DarkerJ »

I believe LDDM wont work on this build, since this is pre-reset. Anyways, what drivers are you using?
<°)))><●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬●><(((°>
When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

yourepicfailure
Donator

DarkerJ wrote:I believe LDDM wont work on this build, since this is pre-reset. Anyways, what drivers are you using?
yourepicfailure wrote:I am using version 195.62 driver for my hardware
Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 6471/en-us
This is the third oldest driver, though I have tried the 195.39(oldest with support for my hardware) driver with no difference.

>ShadixAced, those LDDM drivers were released way before my hardware was made. They don't support this hardware even if I was running Beta 1.

4042.labO6 is a nice build and I would actually like to stick with it for a while. But this graphics issue is holding me back.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

Zheng He
Donator

Post by Zheng He »

Getting an old graphic card is the best way. I got this OEM FX5200 128MB 64Bit AGP8X 5 months ago for only 35 RMB (about 5 USD). I have tested all builds and all of them worked well except 4066 (maybe RAM was too small). An old platform can offer you the best longhorn experience.

yourepicfailure
Donator

This is a laptop, with SATA which many claim is impossible to get Longhorn on.

Though the older platforms in this case were my latitude XT and D600. Both offered a mediocre experience, especially towards the true 'Longhorn' features. The point of me pulling this off is to see the features hopefully run smoothly on a fairly capable system.
While I would like to try this out on my old P4, I can't seem find where I happened to store a giant tower.

Anyways I'm going to examine the graphics install procedure on XP and compare what happened there with longhorn. If I can't get this working, I'll see about trying on my Dell XPS tower.

DarkerJ
Donator

Post by DarkerJ »

Zheng He wrote:Image
Getting an old graphic card is the best way. I got this OEM FX5200 128MB 64Bit AGP8X 5 months ago for only 35 RMB (about 5 USD). I have tested all builds and all of them worked well except 4066 (maybe RAM was too small). An old platform can offer you the best longhorn experience.
I'd probably get a Geforce6 series card or higher end Radeon card (9500 Pro, 9600 XT, 9700, even 9800 if you can get one). Longhorn was designed on these types of cards. (plus the GeForce FX series is notoriously bad for heat problems)
When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

yourepicfailure
Donator

I finally did it! :D

I hex edited ntoskrnl to go from nt6 to nt5.1 just to fix some program compatibility issues.
On restart I noticed the display was properly sized, meaning the graphics driver started! So, I guess the reason it wouldn't start was because it checks the NT version, saw 6.0 rather than 5.1 and refused to start.
I was then presented with the gorgeous UI and experience. This build turns out to be strikingly fast and is able to keep up with quick tasks, but I haven't started WinFS so I am unsure of the performance with that on.

Either way, Longhorn on modern hardware is possible, and if you can manage it the experience is obviously far better than VM. My next shot will be 4074TWIWMTB to see how well its aero functions.
Sadly I was unable to start DCE properly on this build, as it will not perform display redrawing(I'm stuck with a froze screen) though all other Direct3D functions work fine.

While DCE will not run right, the little Direct3D rendered CF card up-left can be seen. The new file action progress window animation(arrows going over the place) is Direct3D drawn, and works fine. I just don't know the deal with DCE.

So if you do decide to try Longhorn on modern hardware, I will highly recommend patching kernel as per http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27164 for better compatibility.

EDIT: WinFS just slows the heck out of everything. Just leave it off it's not worth it.

DarkerJ
Donator

Post by DarkerJ »

Try running DX 9 games on it next. I'm actually curious, since the 230M is way ahead of that build's time.
When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

yourepicfailure
Donator

I wouldn't exactly call Minecraft Dx9, but yet again these shaders and minecraft are ahead of this builds time as well...

Fullscreen glitches out(doesn't happen) but pressing f11 brings it back. I'm installing TES Oblivion(a dx9 game) to see if it'll work.
Update later.

EDIT: Oblivion is throwing off the "GetAdapterDesc()" error. This will be fun.

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

Haha, Minecraft on Longhorn. Love it. Best of luck fixing that error :V
(I'd say something helpful, but I've got nothing... :/ )

By the way...um...I noticed you're using Plex...did you see my post containing a link to that slightly cleaned up Plex theme? (If not, here it is: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 90#p414190 )

yourepicfailure
Donator

Splitwirez wrote:Haha, Minecraft on Longhorn. Love it. Best of luck fixing that error :V
(I'd say something helpful, but I've got nothing... :/ )

By the way...um...I noticed you're using Plex...did you see my post containing a link to that slightly cleaned up Plex theme? (If not, here it is: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 90#p414190 )
I was going to reply to that, but yeah here.
I've observed no difference between the two oddly enough. Though this isn't 4039.
But thanks.

As for Oblivion, I suspect that it's DirectX causing the problem. It needs 9c, and this build only has straight-up 9.
Anyone know how to install 9c on this?

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

yourepicfailure wrote:I've observed no difference between the two oddly enough. Though this isn't 4039.
But thanks.
Odd...not even Image? (To be fair, that's all I changed, other than doing the same for active windows)
(I apologize for disgregarding your statement of seeing no difference, but it's a subtle change, and I wanted to be sure. Idk, maybe I uploaded the wrong file. I'll look into that...)
yourepicfailure wrote:As for Oblivion, I suspect that it's DirectX causing the problem. It needs 9c, and this build only has straight-up 9.
Anyone know how to install 9c on this?
Have you tried running the DirectX 9.0c installer in compatibility mode for Windows XP? (I know that sounds ridiculous, but no loss in trying the obvious, right?)

yourepicfailure
Donator

Already tried compat mode, and system currently identifies itself as Windows XP.

Each time I run the Dx9c installer, it either jumps immediately to "Setup Finished Successfully" after user agreement page doing absolutely nothing, or pops up saying "Operating System not supported" and quitting after that page.

I have tried the chris123nt method of 9b for 4053, however most infs drop the error "Software has not passed inspection and will NOT be installed". I am unable to persuade it to continue.

DarkerJ
Donator

Post by DarkerJ »

Try Serious Sam TFE or 2 or something like that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

mrcobra92

Post by mrcobra92 »

Try running DWM and see what happens.

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

mrcobra92 wrote:Try running DWM and see what happens.
Umm...
yourepicfailure wrote:Sadly I was unable to start DCE properly on this build, as it will not perform display redrawing(I'm stuck with a froze screen) though all other Direct3D functions work fine.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Welp, after reading about the kernel change it turns out it kills DCE.
So either have the ability to run it but not have right drivers to, or have right drivers to but not be able to run it.

4042 has now been pushed to a VM. My next one is 4074, will make a topic later.

And I'm right back to 4042. Let's see how take 2 plays.