Suggestion: Chat Room

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
ebones5

Suggestion: Chat Room

Post by ebones5 »

What about some form of chat room for members to talk in? I think a room for members to talk in, on or off topic, would be a good idea. I do not know how hard it would be to implement though.

Thanks for looking at my suggestion,
Phil

user99672
Donator

Re: Suggestion: Chat Room

Post by user99672 »

You literally have no idea how many times this has been tried and failed. I would implore that the subject not to be bought up.

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

user99672 wrote:You literally have no idea how many times this has been tried and failed. I would implore that the subject not to be bought up.
He is right. Multiple times someone has suggested either a chat room or a IRC. This topic is an example with one of those discussions: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 72&t=31688
And another one: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=27691
AND ANOTHER ONE: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=26871
Moral of the story: Search Before You Ask. But, if you really want a chat room, #NTTalk or #RoL is pretty much the closest thing you can get to a unofficial BA IRC.
Last edited by Windows OS on Mon May 30, 2016 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

As above. You can use the forum to "chat". Anything outside of the forum is not preserved so it doesn't make sense to have one. It was also abused a lot in the past as its difficult to moderate.

ebones5

Post by ebones5 »

Alright, thank you for letting me know and looking at my suggestion. I did not know it was attempted in the past.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

And #nttalk is not the unofficial BA IRC. We have nothing to do with nttalk.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

#nttalk is just a place people have commonly gone to chat and is made up of members from many communities. To be honest I've never held it in high regard given the types of chat that have gone on in the past. So if you do visit then just be aware it is not controlled by us.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

First of all #nttalk is dead. The most active channel that is related in some way to the beta scene is RoL #rol.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

meagain
Donator

Post by meagain »

IRC is pretty annoying without logs, yes. To me it feels outdated and not an efficient way of communicating in 2016.

A place I run uses Discord as it's main chat due to the history feature and the other stuff it offers. Still has an IRC-like feel which is nice.

I personally think an IRC channel for BA wouldn't be such a great idea - it works well in small communities but for a forum this big I just cannot see IRC or another similar chat form like Discord or Slack working. Reddit Robin showed us that large chat rooms just don't work.

However, I would appreciate a more modern PM system with groups, more like a Skype chat or how Tapatalk handle tapatalkmember to tapatalk member communication on mobile. But then I guess it'd just be better to post on the forum.
Any users with a KryoFlux in the UK: if you could dump some floppies if I send them to you, that'd be awesome. PM me.

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

mrpijey wrote:And #nttalk is not the unofficial BA IRC. We have nothing to do with nttalk.
Ahh. I see. Post edited. Sorry.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

meagain wrote:IRC is pretty annoying without logs, yes. To me it feels outdated and not an efficient way of communicating in 2016.
You can use a bouncer which logs conversations for you, replays convos from when you were AFK. I personally use ZNC.

meagain
Donator

Post by meagain »

AlphaBeta wrote:
meagain wrote:IRC is pretty annoying without logs, yes. To me it feels outdated and not an efficient way of communicating in 2016.
You can use a bouncer which logs conversations for you, replays convos from when you were AFK. I personally use ZNC.
You can, yes, or use IRCCloud. However, the IRC protocol as a whole feels outdated to me and bouncers / irccloud feel like a hacky solution to a problem more easily solved by just switching to Discord or Slack or Hangouts or whatever

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
Any users with a KryoFlux in the UK: if you could dump some floppies if I send them to you, that'd be awesome. PM me.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- meagain: Let me ask you a question, does going out and talking to people also feel outdated and not an efficient way of communicating in 2016 to you? After all, real-life conversations are generally not logged either. :p
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

ebones5 wrote:What about some form of chat room for members to talk in? I think a room for members to talk in, on or off topic, would be a good idea. I do not know how hard it would be to implement though.
As many people have already said in this topic, there were already attempts to create such chat rooms, one of the most commonly heard being #RIS/#RoL on Ring of Lightning (of which I am netstaff) and #nttalk. However, there is always the huge possibility of drama exploding in channels, then immature ban evading, etc.

If anyone wishes to start their own unofficial IRC network/channel/chat room for BetaArchive members to chat in, I suppose they are free to do so, but you will have the consider the risks of it.

...or as Andy said, just use the forum to "chat", albeit not as "instant" as chat rooms are.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

meagain
Donator

Post by meagain »

Battler wrote:- meagain: Let me ask you a question, does going out and talking to people also feel outdated and not an efficient way of communicating in 2016 to you? After all, real-life conversations are generally not logged either. :p
heh, lol. I just think there's much better alternatives to IRC.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

meagain wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:
You can, yes, or use IRCCloud. However, the IRC protocol as a whole feels outdated to me and bouncers / irccloud feel like a hacky solution to a problem more easily solved by just switching to Discord or Slack or Hangouts or whatever

What else do you need from an Internet Relay Chat?

meagain
Donator

Post by meagain »

I'm saying the whole idea of IRC is outdated and switching to different messaging solutions would be better but nevermind

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

Offtopic Comment
The fact that I'm seeing posts sent using Tapatalk worries me. It's been shown before how dangerous that app can be.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

meagain
Donator

Post by meagain »

This site offers it, there's no reason for me not to use it given the lack of a mobile site. I haven't heard of security vunderabilities yet but a quick Google brings a few up. What problems did it cause before?