Does anyone have a vmware tools iso that works with 4074?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
vsod99

Does anyone have a vmware tools iso that works with 4074?

Post by vsod99 »

As the title says, I'm looking for a VMware Tools ISO that works with Longhorn Build 4074. I've heard that tools version 6.0 works with it, but I can't find a standalone download anywhere. If anyone here could extract it from (I believe) workstation 7.1.4 or something of the likes, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Splitwirez

Re: Does anyone have a vmware tools iso that works with 4074

Post by Splitwirez »

The correct tools version is 6.5 2 ...and IIRC those drivers can be found somewhere on longhorn.ms . Let me see if I can find the link...

EDIT: Yeah, the drivers you need are at the bottom of this page: http://longhorn.ms/desktop-compositing
Last edited by Splitwirez on Sat May 28, 2016 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

vsod99

Post by vsod99 »

Splitwirez wrote:The correct tools version is 6.5 2 ...and IIRC those drivers can be found somewhere on longhorn.ms . Let me see if I can find the link...
Doesn't Tools include more than just drivers? It includes some sort of service that stays in the taskbar, I believe. Not sure what it does though.

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

vsod99 wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:The correct tools version is 6.5 2 ...and IIRC those drivers can be found somewhere on longhorn.ms . Let me see if I can find the link...
Doesn't Tools include more than just drivers? It includes some sort of service that stays in the taskbar, I believe. Not sure what it does though.
Yes...last I checked the drivers were the only part which could be used with pre-reset Longhorn, though that may no longer be correct. In any case, the drivers are now above, and they're all you need for Aero/DWM ^-^

xenonnsmb

Post by xenonnsmb »

vsod99 wrote:
I think that the service just checks for VMWare Tools upgrades.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

It also does things like automatically change the VM's resolution, pretty handy. I patched VMware Tools 7 MSI to properly install on pre-reset LH ages ago, will try to find it.

sparcdr

Post by sparcdr »

VMware Tools provides guest/host file transfer/integration (HGFS) on 98SE and above, time synchronization with the host, suspend/resume hooks, GDI accelerated VESA compliant video drivers (All systems), DirectX 8.0/9.0B+ acceleration (W2K+ with hw.version=9), Aero support with DirectX/3D 9 extended (Vista+) or DirectX/3D 10 (7+), host/guest clipboard integration, automatic guest resolution "fitting" and non-standard vesa modes support (Non autofit window around guest mode), guest scsi drivers (BusLogic; 2003+; not supported on XP hence the warning), wdm sound drivers (XP+).

It doesn't provide ES1371 (W98/W2K) drivers but the sound works once you use the ones still available from Creative. It finally doesn't support 3D acceleration for W98 or lower guests. Probably a few other "features" I missed. You can find the iso in a proper vmware installation and/or try universal extractor on the msi archives to get at the data. The INFs don't support the right click method afaik so you would have to know each device to apply the extracted driver/sys file to in devmgmt.msc.

The alternate method to get at the msi is to run it and navigate to your %TEMP% location since the installer unfortunately strips away the drivers (Except the scsi one(s)) from the VMware programfiles location.

Dr.pepper

Post by Dr.pepper »

I was able to get VmWare tools in 4074 before, Bust it just broke it. If you need audio drivers and video drivers use the ones on longhorn.ms
I hate anime and I hate weebs