Windows 10 Redstone 3 ?!

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
madalin88

Windows 10 Redstone 3 ?!

Post by madalin88 »

It appears that internally Microsoft already plans a third Redstone wave. :OD
Since the second Redstone wave is planned for April 2017, it is too early to pin point any features for this third release, however it is told that Redstone 2 & 3 will be more focused on Mobile (ARM64 and maybe win32 apps)
It is interesting that Threshold had only 2 waves.
I wanted to start this topic in order to confirm or not this rumor and gather any info related to this wave (features, release date and so on)

http://www.winbeta.org/news/winbeta-pod ... ebook-apps

hounsell

Re: Windows 10 Redstone 3 ?!

Post by hounsell »

Yeh, they're definitely planning something beyond RS2 already. I can't confirm it as "RS3", but it seems to make sense to me from what I do know about it.

I don't buy this whole "focused on mobile" thing though. I think this is a message Microsoft have implied repeatedly by saying RS1/2016 is "not focused on mobile". I think they imply it not because 2017 will be, but to discourage people from asking awkward questions about how more people think the earth is flat than think Windows 10 Mobile is a viable platform.

ARM64 is coming, but I'm still going to insist, as I did in this article about ARM64 support in Redstone, that the more advanced ARM64 project is in the Server division, not Mobile. And you can safely ignore any crackpot that mentions ARM/ARM64 and the desktop.

Roo_the_Vickty
Permanently Banned

Post by Roo_the_Vickty »

what about ReFS for x86 ?

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Never going to happen. It's server-only anyway, and server is x64-only and they're not going to bring back x86.

Roo_the_Vickty
Permanently Banned

Post by Roo_the_Vickty »

Pfff they are useless...

madalin88

Post by madalin88 »

hounsell wrote:Yeh, they're definitely planning something beyond RS2 already. I can't confirm it as "RS3", but it seems to make sense to me from what I do know about it.
They've always plan things in advance, the only thing that changed this time is the fact that everyone thought that Windows 10 codename will change after 2 waves (TH1, TH2, RS1, RS2) .
We all expected for another codename after the release of RS2 next year.
If I'm allowed to speculate a little:
TH1 -being the first Win 10 release
TH2 - came with more bug fixes and optimizations than features
RS1 - is about to bring radical changes and a lot of new features
RS2 - probably will be more like TH2 was for TH1, with bug fixes and optimizations (will see after RS1 release)
Now thinking of this "trend" , than is safe to say that , if it will be a RS3, that it means it won't bring much features / changes, and MS will came up with a new codename when they'll want to focus on features again.
But once again, this is just a personal idea , a speculation based on the observed trend mention above.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

fwiw, I understand RS2 will be a larger update than RS3, but obviously smaller than RS1. Both will have more development time than TH2 - probably intentional considering how TH2 just straight up wasn't ready at its official RTM.

And this is pure speculation but I think ARM64 Server is a distinct possibility for RS2. Not convinced on any other ARM64 variant though.

A chunk of features were rumoured to be cut from RS1 and moved to RS2, which might make it seem a larger update than perhaps it would normally have been.

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

hounsell wrote:Yeh, they're definitely planning something beyond RS2 already. I can't confirm it as "RS3", but it seems to make sense to me from what I do know about it.

I don't buy this whole "focused on mobile" thing though. I think this is a message Microsoft have implied repeatedly by saying RS1/2016 is "not focused on mobile". I think they imply it not because 2017 will be, but to discourage people from asking awkward questions about how more people think the earth is flat than think Windows 10 Mobile is a viable platform.

ARM64 is coming, but I'm still going to insist, as I did in this article about ARM64 support in Redstone, that the more advanced ARM64 project is in the Server division, not Mobile. And you can safely ignore any crackpot that mentions ARM/ARM64 and the desktop.
Of course you can run Server OS as a Desktop OS.. *hehe*
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

madalin88

Post by madalin88 »

If you have the money to buy a Server license for Desktop use :P

meagain
Donator

Post by meagain »

madalin88 wrote:If you have the money to buy a Server license for Desktop use :P
Or if you have DreamSpark :P

I haven't researched this, but I'm assuming ARM64 WinServer isn't going to have a desktop like Server 2012 R2, and just be more like NanoCore? Or am I wrong at it is actually a full port of 2016?
Any users with a KryoFlux in the UK: if you could dump some floppies if I send them to you, that'd be awesome. PM me.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

It's not clear at this stage.

I do believe it's going to be at least at the level of Server Core, but I dunno about full Desktop Experience.

Zacchi4k

Post by Zacchi4k »

I think we won't get any official news at least until RS2 development begins

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

madalin88 wrote:If you have the money to buy a Server license for Desktop use :P
...or if you simply happen to be privileged enough to obtain a copy from the FTP server.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

DJ Deedahx wrote:
...or if you simply happen to be privileged enough to obtain a copy from the FTP server.
That involves the version being abandonware.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

madalin88

Post by madalin88 »

Zacchi4k wrote:I think we won't get any official news at least until RS2 development begins
That's the surprising thing.
We have information about a development branch , 2 releases in the future which, as far as I know, never happen before.
It's like knowing MS wil release Windows ME from the beta stages of Windows 95

Roo_the_Vickty
Permanently Banned

Post by Roo_the_Vickty »

Big deal... This so called updates with fancy names are crappy versions of service packs
It is not even a new os...

ThePagel

Post by ThePagel »

Roo_the_Vickty wrote:Big deal... This so called updates with fancy names are crappy versions of service packs
That's the idea behind windows as a service. You won't see a huge change update to update but over the course of a few years it might feel like a new os without that initial "everything is different, I hate it" shock. Just think if xp was a service, you might see some complaints about how xp doesn't look and feel like it did 15 years ago but they would probably be few and far between. I personally think it is a smart move by Microsoft but I can understand why some might be annoyed by it.

Roo_the_Vickty
Permanently Banned

Post by Roo_the_Vickty »

how is it smart when you redownload whole OS again?
it is just facial make up to call it service...
by that you would still be at 6.2 kernel with repatched component by component
and not entire OS

Zacchi4k

Post by Zacchi4k »

Roo_the_Vickty wrote:how is it smart when you redownload whole OS again?
and not entire OS
Windows 10 is NT 10.0.
Also, they can be any type of upgrade.
They can contain just a bunch of new features and fixes but they can also contain a kernel or core system updates.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Roo_the_Vickty wrote:how is it smart when you redownload whole OS again?
and not entire OS
It's smart when you go to do a clean install. Instead of having to apply every patch since release, all you need is the latest build and cumulative update, plus some little things here and there.
Goldfish64

Roo_the_Vickty
Permanently Banned

Post by Roo_the_Vickty »

Zacchi4k wrote: Windows 10 is NT 10.0.
wrong, its 6.3
10 is bumped only facial

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

No, it's 10.0.

As of Windows 8.1, some APIs were modified to return 6.3.9600 regardless of the actual system version for compatibility reasons. But the system version for Windows 10 is always NT 10.0.xxxxx

madalin88

Post by madalin88 »

Roo_the_Vickty wrote:Big deal... This so called updates with fancy names are crappy versions of service packs
I disagree! It's a huge difference: remember for example when You had SPs on Win XP and had to go to Windows Update and get 500 - 1 GB or more of updates than you have to check for updates again, cause there were updates for updates and so on.
This doesn't happen to Win 10 anymore. Even if your not an insider and install TH2, you only need to download a single KB which would update the OS build number from RTM (10586.0) to the latest version (10586.318) and not have to go through all other updates KB. And that's a big step trust me.
It is not suppose to be a new OS, the features and fixes is what counts. How would it help you if MS would release new OSs every year and you have need to buy new licenses every year? Those updates are free, even it is still free for WIN 7 and Win 8 users and also for those which became insiders before the first release

Roo_the_Vickty
Permanently Banned

Post by Roo_the_Vickty »

What the hell...
xp sps were small, and it was collection of patches, not entire broken iso
How would it help you if MS would release new OSs every year and you have need to buy new licenses every year
And how is this different from now?
Its not windows 9 or 11 but "threshold" 1 & 2 or "redstone" 1 & 2

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Yes, that is exactly why both th2 and rs1 are bumping the build number... would be nice if you knew how the current servicing model works.