"Windows Protection Error" after rebooting from install

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
DescentGuy195

"Windows Protection Error" after rebooting from install

Post by DescentGuy195 »

Hello everybody!

So I was testing my Windows 95 Upgrade CD to see which build number it was (4.00.950 when I went to Safe Mode), and I was installing it like any of us would. It finished the stage of the installation where it would tell you all the "greatest" and "newest" features of Windows 95. After it rebooted, I was greeted with the Startup Splash Screen, followed a couple of seconds later by the "Windows Protection Error". Now before installing Windows 95, I have had MS-DOS 6.22 installed, with a CD/DVD driver installed (from a website I found). I had to install the CD-ROM driver because MS-DOS 6.22 does not natively support CD-ROM drives 'for whatever reason'. I have (atleast I think I have) removed the autoexec.bat lines for the CD-ROM driver to be loaded, but no success. I am using VMWare Workstation 12. Should I switch to VirtualBox, or is there something I should try out.

ImageImage

Thank you!
Raicaster
IT Idiot in Chief

Battler
Donator

Re: "Windows Protection Error" after rebooting from install

Post by Battler »

Switching to VirtualBox won't help as it's still a virtualizer so it will still cause the same error if your host CPU's speed is too fast for Windows 95.

I really recommend PCem instead. Use http://goo.gl/JYoP4k , it has everything you need.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

DescentGuy195

Post by DescentGuy195 »

Battler wrote:Switching to VirtualBox won't help as it's still a virtualizer so it will still cause the same error if your host CPU's speed is too fast for Windows 95.

I really recommend PCem instead. Use http://goo.gl/JYoP4k , it has everything you need.
Thank you sir! I will try this for sure! If it all works out, I'll reply back! :OD :D :D
Raicaster
IT Idiot in Chief

DescentGuy195

Post by DescentGuy195 »

Ok, so I'm having a small issue with PCem. I've *suprisingly* figure out how to get the hard drive to be set up, but now I ran into a issue. My Windows 98SE CD (which would usually be bootable from most systems, including my Pentium 3 board, i was going to test Windows 98 to see how well PCem would perform)) is not bootable from the BIOs. I would get a message like "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." I've tried using other Windows CDs that I know would have booted from, but no success. Anything I should try?
Raicaster
IT Idiot in Chief

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

bootdisk.com and download 98SE floppy with CD support

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- DescentGuy195: Make sure to use a board that can boot from CD such as the ASUS P55-TP4XE or Award 430VX PCI and that CMOS Setup is correctly configured too.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Battler wrote:- DescentGuy195: Make sure to use a board that can boot from CD such as the ASUS P55-TP4XE or Award 430VX PCI and that CMOS Setup is correctly configured too.
Or the Epox board, whatever the model number was.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

DescentGuy195

Post by DescentGuy195 »

Battler wrote:- DescentGuy195: Make sure to use a board that can boot from CD such as the ASUS P55-TP4XE or Award 430VX PCI and that CMOS Setup is correctly configured too.
Wow! Didn't think I would be such an IDIOT to forget to check the CMOS! I never set up the CMOS to boot from the CD-ROM. Now it does! Thanks for making me find my own mistakes! I am a bit of a nooby with older motherboards that don't automatically have the CMOS set to boot from CD-ROM (my Intel 440BX board booted from the CD ROM automatically when I first set it up, lol)

:) Thanks everyone!
Raicaster
IT Idiot in Chief

DescentGuy195

Post by DescentGuy195 »

And now, there's more problems. Man do old operating systems hate me. So I got into the 98 set up and went through it as usual, formating the drive, restarting, going into set up. As soon as I choose my directory however, I'm greeted with this: Image
Here are my machine settings. Anything else that I'm missing? I've checked the CMOS settings up and down to see if there's anything there that I missed.
Raicaster
IT Idiot in Chief

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Use a Pentium board such as Award 430VX PCI or ASUS P55-TP4XE, it's good enough for Windows 98. The emulation of the two Pentium II boards and Pentium II themselves is incomplete right now, so stay away from it for time being. :p
I recommend the ASUS P55-TP4XE and something like a Pentium 120 at most for the smoothest emulation, or if you really need i686, ASUS P55-T2P4 and a Cyrilic 6x86MX CPU.

DescentGuy195

Post by DescentGuy195 »

Battler wrote:Use a Pentium board such as Award 430VX PCI or ASUS P55-TP4XE, it's good enough for Windows 98. The emulation of the two Pentium II boards and Pentium II themselves is incomplete right now, so stay away from it for time being. :p
I recommend the ASUS P55-TP4XE and something like a Pentium 120 at most for the smoothest emulation, or if you really need i686, ASUS P55-T2P4 and a Cyrilic 6x86MX CPU.
I've switched to the Award 430VX PCI (and to a Pentium 120), and I'm still getting the MS-DOS Extender Fault Error. There's 64MB of RAM I set to it. Settings are mostly the same other then the Machine, CPU, and RAM... I almost want to call GG at this moment.
Raicaster
IT Idiot in Chief

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Then you've found a bug. I'm going to look into it and see why it's happening.

DescentGuy195

Post by DescentGuy195 »

Battler wrote:Then you've found a bug. I'm going to look into it and see why it's happening.
Thank you!
Raicaster
IT Idiot in Chief

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

OK, I think I fixed it. Replace your PCem.exe with: http://citadel.ringoflightning.net/PCem.exe .

DescentGuy195

Post by DescentGuy195 »

Battler wrote:OK, I think I fixed it. Replace your PCem.exe with: http://citadel.ringoflightning.net/PCem.exe .
You've seemed to fix it! It didn't instant-crash as soon as I clicked next. What seemed to be the mishap in the programming? You should probably release that as a patch so people who are new to PCem don't deal with the same issue.
Raicaster
IT Idiot in Chief

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

When I added the checking for the present bit of a segment in protected me on reads and writes within a segment, I forgot to update the part where a null segment was being loaded - it was not turning on the present bit, which was causing your problem. Now the present bit is correctly set when loading a null non-code segment.

MS-GIL

Post by MS-GIL »

I have installed Windows 95 in Virtualbox. The trick is look to see if hardware acceleration is off because it cannot be turned on. This may be the same thing in VMWare but, I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to that program.
Subscribe To MS-GIL on YouTube for computing videos and tutorials :)

DescentGuy195

Post by DescentGuy195 »

Battler wrote:When I added the checking for the present bit of a segment in protected me on reads and writes within a segment, I forgot to update the part where a null segment was being loaded - it was not turning on the present bit, which was causing your problem. Now the present bit is correctly set when loading a null non-code segment.
Neat. Well atleast it's all fixed now! And now I'm running Windows 98 without a hitch! Thanks again!
Raicaster
IT Idiot in Chief

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- MS-GIL: It also strongly depends on your host CPU speed.

- DescentGuy195: The thanks goes to you for finding and reporting the bug. :p